What is soldering ? Any experts here?

Phoenix117

Broken In
Hello world,
While browsing many threads and recently while upgrading my pc i came across the word "soldering" now i wanted to mod my pc a bit with leds and stuff so i ask

What exactly is soldering?
How exactly do you work with a soldering iron ?
Any guides or generous people ready to explain to me?

And flipkart is selling soldering kits around rs 500 is that all i will need?

Btw, i am a high school schoolkid so if its something too extreme i may stay Away from it.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Soldering is like gluing metal terminal of electronic components to a printed circuit board or to another terminal.

You get a soldering iron, plug it in socket to get warm. Apply some flux to the soldering wire. Then melt the soldering wire on the tip of soldering iron.

Place the component on PCB and daub it with the melting pool at the tip of soldering iron. But be cautious that the heat can traverse to the component and fry it if go unchecked.

vito scalleta

In the zone
check out some youtube videos for how to get started with soldering .
if u are just gng to add leds u might not need to solder anything .
understand ur necessity before buying it .
and be safe. ( i have just completed my project and had a few burns here and there due to improper handling of the solder rod in a hurry)

Cruzy

Journeyman
Its basically attaching a component to a PCB with the help of soldering wire which is known as flux. It's made up of lead and tin. One needs to be careful as improper soldering can lead to damaging of components and also the soldering iron can get pretty hot so chances of being burnt are high. It's easy to do. It's not add complicated as u think :)

OP
P

Phoenix117

Broken In
I watched a few videos on youtube,Dosent look hard but it is little difficult.

This Kit on ebay seems to have everything i may need for soldering and sells for rs500,should i go for it?
Micro Soldering Iron Adjustable Temperature Station Complete KIT Extra Bits | eBay

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
youtube it dude. there will be plenty of good vids regarding techniques and qualities of soldering

Chetan1991

Youngling
I'd recommend a quality iron such as those from Soldron instead of no name ones. You don't need a temp. Controlled iron atm.
And DO NOT bring it near your computer's mobo! One little mistake and you're screwed, plus you void the warranty. Your mobo might have pins for extra fans etc. Use jumpers wires to use them.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Just go to a repair shop and tell them to do it for you.. trust me, it takes steady hands to do soldering right and without practice you can screw things up for food..
So its best that you give whatever it is you wish to solder to a local repair shop..

icebags

Technomancer
I watched a few videos on youtube,Dosent look hard but it is little difficult.

This Kit on ebay seems to have everything i may need for soldering and sells for rs500,should i go for it?
Micro Soldering Iron Adjustable Temperature Station Complete KIT Extra Bits | eBay

thats a good kit for beginners, low wattage and temperature control is added advantage, but u may not need those extras, a a bundle of 50-60g solder pack and a small tin of regular wax is okay.

for starters 8-10-15 watt irons are okay, u may either buy that or go for standalone irons from siron / soldron. but a lot of kids at their class 7-8 start electronics and do random circuits, its strange that u did not meet any. :-D

anyways, whatever u do with these, get a proper understanding before u start doing it. better yet, consult someone experienced physically before starting to solder things randomly.

OP
P

Phoenix117

Broken In
thats a good kit for beginners, low wattage and temperature control is added advantage, but u may not need those extras, a a bundle of 50-60g solder pack and a small tin of regular wax is okay.

for starters 8-10-15 watt irons are okay, u may either buy that or go for standalone irons from siron / soldron. but a lot of kids at their class 7-8 start electronics and do random circuits, its strange that u did not meet any. :-D

anyways, whatever u do with these, get a proper understanding before u start doing it. better yet, consult someone experienced physically before starting to solder things randomly.

I did encounter electronics and circuits in my class,but that was using a few toy-like plastic kits that did footwork
I just had to toss in a battery,connect a wire and bulb glows :-0

Top Bottom