what is RAID?

avichandana20000

Cyborg Agent
I have goggled the word to understand it but cannot make any solid concept. Roughly what i have understood is two or more HDD will work together. (Make me correct) and please update me on this.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
I am quating Wikipedia here-
RAID, acronym for Redundant Array of Independent Disks (originally Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks), is a technology that provides increased storage functions and reliability through redundancy. This is achieved by combining multiple disk drive components into a logical unit, where data is distributed across the drives in one of several ways called "RAID levels"; this concept is an example of storage virtualization and was first defined by David A. Patterson, Garth A. Gibson, and Randy Katz at the University of California, Berkeley in 1987 as Redundant Arrays of Inexpensive Disks.[1] Marketers representing industry RAID manufacturers later attempted to reinvent the term to describe a redundant array of independent disks as a means of dissociating a low-cost expectation from RAID technology.[2]

Complete read here-
RAID - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

OP
avichandana20000

avichandana20000

Cyborg Agent
got an idea :almost clear. But the downside is also alarming.So better not to do in a home PC. But one question : how to implement that RAID is it done through BIOS ?

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Putting two SSDs in RAID 0 is comparatively safe compared to Hard disks due to lack of mechanical parts.

RAID 0 has no fault tolerance and no data redundancy. So, if one Hard disk fails, then your data is lost. Simply lost.

Top Bottom