What is HDMI ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jxcess3891

Evil mind
Is it something I can use to watch those movies directly from my computer on my TV set without having to convert them to dvd format ? Please clarify.

What is difference in uses of DVI & HDMI ?

How can I connect Airtel Set Top Box with LCD monitor as I am planning to buy BenQ
E2200HD having HDMI ?

Do we have HDMI output in Airtel Set Top Box ?

shaunak

Tux Fan
In short:
Its a wire and a port, Just like USB.

A tad longer:
Its an interface used to hook up you monitor to the video device (GFX card, DVD player etc.)
Its used to send HD audio and video into you monitor from the device.

====

No set top box in India has an HDMI o/p. Given that HDTV doesn't broadcast in our bandwidth starved country anyway, the HDMI would be useless, even if it was provided. For Standard definition content you component connectors or VGA connectors are more than sufficient.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
HDMI is a high quality transmission standard which can carry HD contents upto 1080p along with uncompressed multichannel sound upto 7.1.

ull need a gfx card with HDMI out and an HDTV with HDMI in for an HDMI setup. And ull need HD contents on PC to take full advantage of it.
Practically HDMI doesnt have much difference from DVI, but it had content protection and audio integrated feature, ie audio n video in same cable.

gud quality HDMI cables are expensive, even 1~2m one will cost 3~4k for med quality and some 7~8k for gud ones.

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
What is difference in uses of DVI & HDMI ?
E2200HD having HDMI ?

DVI is also another way of transmiting the uncompressed video only signals to the reciver. Generally we don't see any TVs having DVI, only moniters do. Where as HDMI can transmit both audio and video up to 1600P.

How can I connect Airtel Set Top Box with LCD monitor as I am planning to buy BenQ

come on don't pull my legs. No DTH service in india has High Definition video transmission. It will take some years.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ Its not for transferring AFAIK.

It is like an Audio/Visual connection cable cord or I can say that it is like the VGA cable which connects your monitor to the CPU.

*tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:Ifm0UJGneLZ9uM:*www.konecable.com/images/hdmi_000.jpg

If you want to connect your HDTV with the computer, you can use HDMI if your graphic card has it.

Newer gaming consoles these days like PS3 also come with HDMI ports.

Last edited:
OP
jxcess3891

jxcess3891

Evil mind
^^ Its not for transferring AFAIK.

It is like an Audio/Visual connection cable cord or I can say that it is like the VGA cable which connects your monitor to the CPU.

*tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:Ifm0UJGneLZ9uM:*www.konecable.com/images/hdmi_000.jpg

If you want to connect your HDTV with the computer, you can use HDMI if your graphic card has it.

Newer gaming consoles these days like PS3 also come with HDMI ports.

Do u see this "iomega" ad on this site ? What exactly is it ?

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do u see this "iomega" ad on this site ? What exactly is it ?
*www.engadget.com/2008/04/09/iomegas-500gb-screenplay-hd-multimedia-drive-touts-hdmi/

Consider it as Iomega's Apple TV. :) *www.apple.com/appletv/

Save your movies, pictures, songs etc. on the drive and play them on your TV. You can also use the HDMI interface instead of the usual Audio/Visual cables to connect it with your TV.

In short:
Its a wire and a port, Just like USB.

A tad longer:
Its an interface used to hook up you monitor to the video device (GFX card, DVD player etc.)
Its used to send HD audio and video into you monitor from the device.

====

No set top box in India has an HDMI o/p. Given that HDTV doesn't broadcast in our bandwidth starved country anyway, the HDMI would be useless, even if it was provided. For Standard definition content you component connectors or VGA connectors are more than sufficient.

It means, its useless to buy BenQ E2200HD having HDMI port as no set top box supports it. It's better to go for BenQ T2200HD having all features except HDMI.

I have some queries regarding BenQ E2200HD and need some help.

Actually, I want to connect Airtel Set Top Box to LCD but don't know how ?

Output in Airtel Set Top Box :

1) yellow white red cables (don't know exactly what we call them composite cables or not)
2) TV Out (What is the use of this ?)

Output in BenQ E2200HD :

1) DVI
2) VGA
3) HDMI

Output in my graphics card Nvidia 7300 GS :

1) VGA
2) DVI
3) S-Video (What is the use of this ?)

Also tell me the approx cost of S-video and HDMI cables ?

Thanks

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
S video cable wil be for 300 for low quality and around 500~600 for medium.
HDMI around 3k ofr lowQ and 5~6k for med.

luxury will always be luxury. So such cables, be in HDMI or S-video wil cost more thyan 10k from brands like Onkyo or the likes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom