What is ANDROID for mobile???????

kool

Cyborg Agent
Hi guys,

can anybody define me ANDROID os for mobile?
I never liked Samsung, LG, Motorola mobile phone coz they have slow and crapy UI. But always liked to
buy Nokia S40 or S60 cellphone for my family. Even Nokia dont have good looks, but it has symbian which is very useful for me, as i can install MSdictionary, Opera mini, Ebuddy, Gmap, way2sms etc.

Now i've heard this Android in ACER mobile phone cost around Rs.9k, plz tell me is it better than Symbian?

- Is it faster than S60 os?
- Can i install such application like Opera mini,

MS Dictionary, facebook etc?
- Can i update ANDROID in future?
- Are applications free like OVI store?
- Hows touch response in ANDROID?
- Do it supports multitasking like Nokia s60 os?
- Do GPS works? or Google maps?
- I've AIRTEL GPRS plan of Rs.98
- What is the life cycle of Toch screen sensitivity?

rohan.kwatra

Journeyman
yes android is faster and much better than ne symbian version.......it has ol of dese and many more apps . symbian is over nw almost.......apps r free but can be downloaded only using the mobile phone......it is upgradable and can use the gprs plan.....i wouldnt recommend the acer phone i suppose ur talking about the acer betouch 110......look for the galaxy 5 or 3(8k n 12k) or the SE X8 or htc wildfire in range of 14k

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
@kool, for those that needs just basic sms, calling & occasional music, S40 will do fine. i feel S60 is for Nokia fanboys mainly or if someone wants their hands on a smartphone at around 6k, thats easy to handle. but for the rest who had enough of Symbian or Java or WM or even Linux, its best to switch to Android.

- Is it faster than S60 os?

A: depends on version of Android used, speed of proccy-ram & yes how much preinstalled apps & themes (read TouchWiz, HTC Sense, Moto Blur, etc thrown at it).

- Can i install such application like Opera mini, MS Dictionary, facebook etc?

A: of course you can. but i not sure all. may depend on Android version.

- Can i update ANDROID in future?

A: provided mobile manufacturer releases update or can try some generic ROMs available on net but not recommended.

- Are applications free like OVI store?

A: most are. also depending on Android versions, location, screen size, resolution many apps will not be supported.

- Hows touch response in ANDROID?

A: again depends on the device. i haven't used Android yet so can't comment.

- Do it supports multitasking like Nokia s60 os?

A: of course. more ram & faster proccy, better multitasking. even the entrylevel Androids mobiles comes better internal config than Nokia 52**.

- Do GPS works? or Google maps?

A: yes. works. actually to start the Android handset, a google account is mandatory.

- What is the life cycle of Toch screen sensitivity?

A: depends on the kind of use buddy & also the quality of the device. cheap Chinese rebranded handsets won't last that long. specially the mentioned by rohan. also doubt the Spice & Videocon will last that long.

i'll say is stay away from Acer, Spice, Videocon Androids mobiles cause there won't be timely update or no update. even the SE Xperia lineup getting ver 2.1 now when 2.3 is days away from releasing.

NainO

Believe Me or Not!!!
FASTER??? - Depends on device specs and android version. My samsung galaxy 3(low end android phone) is faster than my n82(high end symbian phone)...
3rd PARTY SUPPORT - (a big)YES...
FURTHER UPDATE - If provided by manufacturer then yes(legally). Otherwise yes(illegaly, by rooting)...
FREE APPS - Android market just crossed the 1 lakh apps count a few days ago. Around 60% of apps are free. Android have the biggest free to paid apps ratio...
MULTITASKING - Symbian is multitasking but android is TRUE MULTITASKING plateform. Almost every app can run in background...
GPS & MAPS - 90% android based devices are GPS enabled...
LIFE CYCLE - Depends on the type of touchscreen the device utilises(resistive or capacitive). Capacitive touchscreens are easy to use and have 10x life compared to resistive one...

the_souvik

Addicted
One big point is the version of Android. Is it older 1.5 or the 2.2.Always look for devices which support and upgrades to newer ver

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^^ hopefully by fall 2010 we'll see lots of sub 10k mobiles with Android but most will run 2.1. with only a few running Froyo.

KDroid

Cyborg Agent
Know everything about android...
right from what it is and why should u chose it...and which phone are available in india
Kunal Dharamsi's Blog: The Complete Android Phone Buying Guide

Top Bottom