What If Gmail Had Been Designed by Microsoft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
Today I want to ponder the question: what if Microsoft, not Google, had created Gmail? What would be the differences in that web mail client for users today? What if we apply some of the same design rules that brought us Hotmail, for instance?

To start, here’s the current Gmail homepage after you log-in:

*blogoscoped.com/files/ms-gmail/1.png

First of all, we need to rebrand the application name to something longer. Let’s call this Windows Live Gmail, and add some of the visual elements connected with Windows. Also, as in Hotmail, there needs to be less space for the email subjects to make place for a reading pane, which is full of verbose explanatory help text*:

*blogoscoped.com/files/ms-gmail/2.png

For another design iteration in our inbox, we will need to camouflage the checkboxes next to the messages by putting a mail icon on top of them. Also, we need to break up messages from conversation threads into their individual parts. Furthermore, this version of Gmail needs to change from context-aware text ads to context-unaware graphic banners, which we’ll require to carry at least one clip art. Gmail currently has a chat box which I don’t use and thus find annoying, so I think we can build on that and expand it to a more full-featured chat widget, replacing the labels box. We’ll also adjust the spam filter slightly to show a couple of more bulk mails in the inbox:

*blogoscoped.com/files/ms-gmail/3.png

Read More from SOURCE

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
you can set your hotmail like this also.Hotmail give you option to customize interface.
*img216.imageshack.us/img216/8933/hotmialle4.jpg

Also, as in Hotmail, there needs to be less space for the email subjects to make place for a reading pane, which is full of verbose explanatory help text*:
you can set the size of this pane.All you need is stretch the middle bar...like this.
*img216.imageshack.us/img216/8663/hot2lu0.jpg

you can even turn off this pane...from here:
*img407.imageshack.us/img407/9625/hot1on9.jpg

As far filter is concern...hotmail has much improved filter now.Sometimes, I got my important hosting mail as spam in gmail...but never faced such issue in hotmail..after it was updated to live hotmail.

And they put ads on top of the page..no issue of irritation.
*img158.imageshack.us/img158/6981/hotss1.jpg

Last edited:
OP
debsuvra

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
@ ravi_9793

Hey dude! I just wanted to show about a blogger's imagination of Gmail having designed by MS. I did not wanted to know abt Hotmail customization. :D

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
And one final comparison betwee Gmail and Microsoft live mail with respect tp ads in mail page.

See this page of Hotmail.
*img158.imageshack.us/img158/2949/hot1go8.jpg

And now see, this page of gmail.
*img158.imageshack.us/img158/3831/gmailoe7.jpg

Now what you say..who is better in term of proving more space for our mail.

praka123

left this forum longback
^gmail any time :p will prefer rediffmail to that M$ cr@p!colored devil looks that M$ mail page got!

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
debsuvra said:
@ ravi_9793

Hey dude! I just wanted to show about a blogger's imagination of Gmail having designed by MS. I did not wanted to know abt Hotmail customization. :D
I am not teaching you hotmail customization. I am just saying ..that this clain is totally false.

Let other know....how hotmail is better than gmail. :p

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
praka123 said:
^gmail any time :p will prefer rediffmail to that M$ cr@p!
I can't force you dear to switch to hotmail. :D
I am just saying how hotmail interface is.

I will request you to try hotmail once..I am sure you will love its new features, interface, speed..and others. :)

praka123

left this forum longback
will not try.sorry :p i am satisfied with gmail and yahoo(to some extend).sorry baba!i am into purging every M$ things which i have to use.extremely sorry :D

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
praka123 said:
will prefer rediffmail to that M$ cr@p!colored devil looks that M$ mail page got!

you can change color of your hotmail.
see..I have changed my color to light blue.

You can change color of hotmail like this :
*img158.imageshack.us/img158/5797/hot2ld2.jpg

praka123 said:
will not try.sorry :p i am satisfied with gmail and yahoo(to some extend).sorry baba!i am into purging every M$ things which i have to use.extremely sorry :D
As you wish dear..but there is nothing wrong in trying.There are lots of MS fans boys..who try linux...

Last edited:

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
@ ravi, i know u both are arguing.. and parka321 doenst wanna loose and u wanna win... this fight never ends until the thread gets closed.. ;)

@ praka... hotmail is not paid and its free just like gmail and yahoo.. (u know).., it shows the hatered towards M$

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
salla hotmail ko follow karte hain copy karte hain concept chori karte hain aur ab bolte hain we rule internet blah blah :lol: if it werent billy g's vision that he felt and realised that sabeer bhatia's product was revolutionary and neded some impetus and guidance gmail she mail sab nahi hotta aaj ;)

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
@imav.. ROFL.... :D

and guys.. we had a poll here:

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59370&highlight=mail

yes... Gmail wins :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom