what exactly is a RAID hard disk ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

go_gamez

In the zone
what exactly is RAID HDD. does it refer only to the HDD..or to the filesystem ?
till now i have only seen the most commonly used FAT32. and NTFS file systems..but have only heard of RAID. it always makes me wonder what it is ?
is RAID faster than FAT32 and NTFS HDD ??
then why isn't it used commonly ??
also...can a normal HDD.like my PATA 80gb seagate HDD be used a RAID HDD ?

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
raid stands for: redundant array of independent disks
It isnt a file system, its something to do with the arrangement and amount of your harddisks.

Perhaps Wiki should describe it best:
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

nikku12982

Broken In
RAID is acronym of Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks. It is used to speed up data access and/or make it more reliable. In a raid configuration, several hard disk drives are connected together to get one.

There are various types of RAID - here are some of the more useful / common types:

RAID 0 (Stripe)
Used for speed and size: two or more hard disk drives are connected in such a way that all information is divided into logical blocks and saved on different hard disk drives simultaneously. This provides the ability to save and load the data much faster. In some cases the resulting speed can be the sum of all the hard disk drives speeds. The total size of this RAID is the size of the smallest hard disk drive multiplied by the number of the hard disk drives. A benefit of this RAID type is larger size and faster speed. A deficiency with this RAID type is that if one hard disk drive becomes damaged then you loose information on all the hard disk drives connected to this RAID.

RAID 1 (Mirror)
Used for reliability: two or more hard disk drives are connected in such a way that the same information is saved on all hard disk drives in this RAID. The speed of this RAID is the speed of the slowest hard disk drive in this RAID. The size of this RAID is the size of the smallest hard disk drive in this RAID.

RAID 0+1 (Mirrored Stripe)
Used for speed, size and reliability: two or more hard disk drives are connected as one RAID 0, and every hard disk drive is mirrored as RAID 1. A deficiency of this RAID type is that twice as many hard disk drives are required to get the same speed and size as in RAID 0, but it gives more reliability.

RAID 5 (Stripe with Redundancy)
used for speed, size and reliability: three or more hard disk drives are connected as one RAID, and one of the hard disk drives is used to keep redundancy information. Redundancy information provides the ability to restore the RAID if one of the hard disk drives is damaged. A benefit of this RAID type is that only one more hard disk drive is required for redundancy.

RAID Implementation
There are two ways to implement a RAID:

Hardware RAID: this RAID is created by a RAID controller, and appears as one hard drive to any operating system. This type requires a RAID controller but provides the ability to use it under any operating system.
Software RAID: this RAID is created by the operating system's hard disk driver, and is visible as RAID only to this operating system. Windows NT4 Server, Windows 2000, Windows XP Professional and windows 2003 (.NET) Servers have such a driver.

With hardware RAID, you can install any operating system on it, and use it for your data storage, but with software RAID, you can only use it for your data storage (you can not have the operating system on the software raid). On the other hand, with hardware RAID, the entire hard disk drives space is used, but with software RAID, you can use allocate part of a hard disk drive for the RAID. Therefore if you are using hard disk drives of different sizes, you may want to select software RAID in order to reuse unused hard disk space.

OP
go_gamez

go_gamez

In the zone
half of these things...going above my head....like bouncers...
please just tell me is it..faster and more reliable..than the one we all normally use ..like FAT32 AND NTFS ?

K

keves2002

RAID eliminates the need to backup data, yet offers insurance that u will never again lose data, even if ur HDD dies an ugly irreversible death. RAID stands for Redundant Array of Independent Disks. Basically a second HDD becomes a perfect mirror of ur primary disk. When u save data it is saved to both disks.

-keves-

slagad

Broken In
yes RAID is faster, providing you configure it correctly and you have RAID enabled motherboard or a PCI RAID card.

rohan

In the zone
is RAID a filesystem like NTFS, Fat32, ext3 etc. ?? i don't really think so??

P.S: n00b here :D

Rollercoaster

-The BlacKCoaT Operative-
RAID is not a filesystem but a system that simulates mutiple harddisks to seem like one big harddisk. And u go along usign that set as one virtual harddisk which is totally transparent to programs..

Pragadheesh

In the zone
I dont wish to waste a new thread for this.. so 'm posting it here.
which format is better in terms of faster file transfer etc ? FAT32 or NTFS. also wat is the reason behind it & wat is the difference between these 2 formats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom