what do i stand to lose with no symbian?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sagar_coolx

Journeyman
hey guyz, we know se has introduced some gr8 multimedia fones like k750 n tne walkman series, but my friends and most of the people still favour nokia smartphones....why u ask....'SYMBIAN' comes the reply.

but i have one very important to ask...to what extent of practicality is symbian useful....i mean we get the softwares n all...but do u really need them and to what extent can they be useful........
and also state the pros and cons of having/not having symbian.
have u ever felt any shortcomings bcoz u us se phones.........or have u been thankful bcoz u own a nokia smartphone............
anything from theories to personal experiences are welcome...but i want the answer..... is symbian all that useful??

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
Well ... let me clear things a bit .. unless u use symbian use once .. u really won't be able to understand the symbian users .. i personally have gone through Motorola C350 , C650 , E398 , Samsung D500 , D600 , and then finally to a Nokia 6681 ... and trust me ... i'm even afraid to change to any other symbian than S60 v3 OS8.1 ...

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
i've used n6600 and currently using se w700i. trust me, i've found java counterpart apps of all the apps i used to use in 6600 (symbian apps) i've never felt deprived of any app, except that i cudn't find an app to use my cellphone as the tv remote. i'm rather happy now as i dun hafta bother about virus affecting my celphone and reformatting every 15 dayz or so!

i'd say there exist java versions of all practical apps that u wud use in ur day to day life!

csczero

Journeyman
deathvirus_me said:
Well ... let me clear things a bit .. unless u use symbian use once .. u really won't be able to understand the symbian users .. i personally have gone through Motorola C350 , C650 , E398 , Samsung D500 , D600 , and then finally to a Nokia 6681 ... and trust me ... i'm even afraid to change to any other symbian than S60 v3 OS8.1 ...
could not get it

Venom

Journeyman
You stand to lose ease and the 'dot***'
edit: sorry have to edit it, you just can't give out the name of an illegal site even if it's link is not given. - mehul

Last edited by a moderator:

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
i'd say there exist java versions of all practical apps that u wud use in ur day to day life!

Hmmm .. lets see ... How about a MP3 player with a 10 band equalizer (Power MP3) ?? Or may be a browser with all features (Opera 8.6) ??? Or maybe a chat client that support multiple chat account (Agile , IM+) ?? Or maybe Yahoo Go! ?? ... hmmm ... or maybe a complete 3D game like Asphalt GT2 , Carmageddon , Fifa 2006 etc. etc. ??? Or maybe some bluetooth multiplayer games ??? Hmmm ... or maybe even a start menu ?? Or maybe a Radio which supports shoutcast stations ??? Or apps which can drastically enhance ur camera (Photorite , Lenses) ?? Or maybe an app. that lets u shoot direct avi video at 240*320 ?? Hmmm .. and i still can go on ... but i'm a bit sleepy ...

I still don't understand how symbian users can say such a thing ??? Even since the W700i is not even a p2k phone ... strange ...

Nokia 6600 may not be the best symbian phone . but its not the worst either ... antivirus's are easily available ...

Pathik

Google Bot
use a symbian and u wont ask this question again......
@death s60v3 r os9.1
s60v2 r os8.1

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
Dude .. i'm using the 6681 right from its launch .. no antivirus till now .. if u can follow rules to keep ur pc safe .. then why can't u do the same with a smartphone ??

Also .. ru sure u don't get java based virus ... well .. doing some classes in J2ME .. and already have come across codes that are quite harmful .. can even mess up the flex at times ... thing is that ... how many virus's are there for Linux compared to Windows ?? Does that make Linux completely safe ??

Also .. 6681 is S60 v2 OS8.1 .. sorry ... my bad ... but even then .. it is not exactly the same as its previous installations like the 6630 ... coz there are many incompatible apps ...

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
deathvirus_me said:
How about a MP3 player with a 10 band equalizer (Power MP3) ?? Or may be a browser with all features (Opera 8.6) ??? Or maybe a chat client that support multiple chat account (Agile , IM+) ?? Or maybe Yahoo Go! ?? ... hmmm ... or maybe a complete 3D game like Asphalt GT2 , Carmageddon , Fifa 2006 etc. etc. ??? Or maybe some bluetooth multiplayer games ??? Hmmm ... or maybe even a start menu ?? Or maybe a Radio which supports shoutcast stations ??? Or apps which can drastically enhance ur camera (Photorite , Lenses) ?? Or maybe an app. that lets u shoot direct avi video at 240*320 ??

1) if the phone has decent mp3 support it will haf an inbuilt mp3 player wid all the above mentioned features. the manufacturer will provide the media player by default and not rely on any third-party app provider to harness the full utility of the phone! no manufacturer is so careless except.......... u wudn't need any external media player!

2) u haf java version of opera mini. i dun understand wot more features do u ask for?!!!

3) haf u heard of IM+? it supports ICQ/AOL/MSN/Yahoo!/Jabber/Google Talk Mobile Instant Messenger or ultra im, quick im, mig 33, mobichat??

4) most of the games (maybe not 100% but surely 95%) are available in java version!

5) u've heard about J2MEStreaming???

6) i dunno about other manufacturers, but wid an SE phone u wudn't need any app to enhance/tweak the camera or music! absolutely! no second thots about it!!!!! se gives u the most optimised phone! (btw, that extra resolution is just interpolated coz the camera resolution has to do wid hardware!!! u just can't increase the resolution by just using some software!!!)

oh! and there are multiplayer games, gprs radio apps and even the apps which provide u wid google maps!!!! just that i can't give the whole list here.... i'm as lazy and as sleepy as you are! ;)

well, you gotta visit www.getjar.com, u'll find every java app in this world there!! for all ur needs!!!

again, i'd say there exist java counterparts of most comman practical symbian apps! i never said u'd get 100% replacements. but temme who uses radio wid shoutcast stations in this country? i say it again and again! all java apps of practical day to day use exist!

cheers! :p

Last edited:

Pathik

Google Bot
agreed that ther r viruses in symbian.......
but its upto u to prevent a virus.... and the ppl scared of viruses shd not use PCs too....

paul_007

Padawan
deathvirus_me said:
Hmmm .. lets see ... How about a MP3 player with a 10 band equalizer (Power MP3) ?? Or may be a browser with all features (Opera 8.6) ??? Or maybe a chat client that support multiple chat account (Agile , IM+) ?? Or maybe Yahoo Go! ?? ... hmmm ... or maybe a complete 3D game like Asphalt GT2 , Carmageddon , Fifa 2006 etc. etc. ??? Or maybe some bluetooth multiplayer games ??? Hmmm ... or maybe even a start menu ?? Or maybe a Radio which supports shoutcast stations ??? Or apps which can drastically enhance ur camera (Photorite , Lenses) ?? Or maybe an app. that lets u shoot direct avi video at 240*320 ?? Hmmm .. and i still can go on ... but i'm a bit sleepy ...

I still don't understand how symbian users can say such a thing ??? Even since the W700i is not even a p2k phone ... strange ...

Nokia 6600 may not be the best symbian phone . but its not the worst either ... antivirus's are easily available ...

i completely agree with deathvirus_me, when u own a symbian fone , trust me u'll never ever get bored with it , but with java based fone some day or the other , i bet ,u'll lose interest cause they have limited applications and games and in symbian fones there is no limit

Pathik

Google Bot
infra_red_dude said:
1) if the phone has decent mp3 support it will haf an inbuilt mp3 player wid all the above mentioned features. the manufacturer will provide the media player by default and not rely on any third-party app provider to harness the full utility of the phone! no manufacturer is so careless except.......... u wudn't need any external media player!

2) u haf java version of opera mini. i dun understand wot more features do u ask for?!!!

3) haf u heard of IM+? it supports ICQ/AOL/MSN/Yahoo!/Jabber/Google Talk Mobile Instant Messenger or ultra im, quick im, mig 33, mobichat??

4) most of the games (maybe not 100% but surely 95%) are available in java version!

5) u've heard about J2MEStreaming???

6) i dunno about other manufacturers, but wid an SE phone u wudn't need any app to enhance/tweak the camera or music! absolutely! no second thots about it!!!!! se gives u the most optimised phone! (btw, that extra resolution is just interpolated coz the camera resolution has to do wid hardware!!! u just can't increase the resolution by just using some software!!!)

oh! and there are multiplayer games, gprs radio apps and even the apps which provide u wid google maps!!!! just that i can't give the whole list here.... i'm as lazy and as sleepy as you are! ;)

well, you gotta visit www.getjar.com, u'll find every java app in this world there!! for all ur needs!!!

again, i'd say there exist java counterparts of most comman practical symbian apps! i never said u'd get 100% replacements. but temme who uses radio wid shoutcast stations in this country? i say it again and again! all java apps of practical day to day use exist!

cheers! :p
dude i don think u hav used opera mobile or netfront.....
also symbian fones can play almost evy media format atleast more than SE fones can play

Last edited:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
like i said, there don't exist 100% java counterparts. i've given the most common ones. btw, many SE phones haf the netfront browser!!!

and about the formats, would u really copy a 5min divx video of 45mb in ur cellphone? at least i wudn't. i wud convert it to mp4 cutting down the size to about 6-7mb to view it on my cellphone. my SE phone supports mp3/mp3pro/aac/mp4/3gp. agreed it doesn't support real media files. but then if i encode the realmedia files at low bit rates in mp3, i get better quality than real media files at the same size! and i can do it at the click of a button!!!

like i said, u'll get java apps which are practically useful!

also, about the threat regarding java apps. i am yet to see a symbian based phone which doesn't run J2ME apps! so if there's a threat regarding java apps, symbian based phones are equally affected as non-symbian phones! but the vice-versa is not true!

i'm not crtitising symbian, just giving my experiences and views!

cheers! :)

prankie

D PrankMaster
symbian should'nt be criticisized just because its prone to virus attack...
java is also not virus proof...
its because symbian platform is more popular thats why virus developers concentrate more on it... and hence there are more viruses for it..
With symbian ur phone gets infinite capabilities.. it's not constrained to limited audio/video formats or limited features...
thats why symbian rocks!!!!

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
i'd again say java phones are better for practical use and zero maintainance (read reloading of software!)

sagar, we've given our experiences and opinions. its upto u to decide now!

Pathik

Google Bot
@irdude
regARDING VIDEO SIZES.....
MP4 WORKS BEST IN SYMBIAN FONES....
for quality xvid avi is the best....
for size .fun movies r the best i can compress a 5min video into 400kb or lesser...

aadipa

Padawan
prankie said:
...java is also not virus proof...
its because symbian platform is more popular thats why virus developers concentrate more on it... and hence there are more viruses for it...

If you know how java works, you will never say that again :p
Practically, there cannt be any java virus for mobile phone. This is because a java application to use any native function, like a file IO to phone/card memory, either application will prompt every time it does the same, or it have to be digitally signed.

K

krazyfrog

In my opinion a smartphone should only be considered if you are going to make full use of its potential like by downloading various software to increase its productivity. Otherwise a regular firmware based phone should do just fine. In the hands of an uninformed person a smartphone is more trouble than useful. Using smartphone requires special care. Most people don't have any idea what a smartphone is and whether the one they use is a smartphone or not. This usually leads to problems like the phone crashing or getting infected by a virus. In such cases usually the phone is blamed rather than the person using it. Also most people never make use of the full potential of their smartphones mainly due to the lack of knowledge. Its really sad to see an N70 being used only for calls, messages and music playback. So unless you really need a symbian phone, unless you really are gonna make full use of it, don't go for it. No matter what your friends say. There are plenty of non smartphones out there which will satisfy all your needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom