what do i stand to lose with no symbian?

Status
Not open for further replies.

prankie

D PrankMaster
@aadipa
well i said this coz i had a very bad experience ragardin java games...
i installed one game on my x600.. after runnin that game my cell was rendered useless

Pathik

Google Bot
krazyfrog said:
Its really sad to see an N70 being used only for calls, messages and music playback.
yeah this is the saddest thing to happen ..... dont 'misuse' a symbian fone..

Last edited:

anispace

dattebayo
Symbian has unlimited no. of apps made for it. Then there are the unlimited no. of games made for it. Then there are emulators which let u play Tv video games, Gameboy color etc. on ur cell, which again adds up to more games. Then there is Opera for Symbian which is almost equal to its PC counterpart in features. I can go on with the list but the point is with Symbian u never get bored with ur cell phone.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
krazyfrog said:
In my opinion a smartphone should only be considered if you are going to make full use of its potential like by downloading various software to increase its productivity. Otherwise a regular firmware based phone should do just fine. In the hands of an uninformed person a smartphone is more trouble than useful. Using smartphone requires special care. Most people don't have any idea what a smartphone is and whether the one they use is a smartphone or not. This usually leads to problems like the phone crashing or getting infected by a virus. In such cases usually the phone is blamed rather than the person using it. Also most people never make use of the full potential of their smartphones mainly due to the lack of knowledge. Its really sad to see an N70 being used only for calls, messages and music playback. So unless you really need a symbian phone, unless you really are gonna make full use of it, don't go for it. No matter what your friends say. There are plenty of non smartphones out there which will satisfy all your needs.
All well and agreed but main problem arises is the computing power in these cell phones. Most of the phones just can't handle the array of activities that many users do i.e. multitasking. That has been a big problem with Nokia phones. I'd like to make full use of my Nokia 3230 and I can but it's so slow that it irritates me. I am not saying it should have power of a personal computer. Nokia 6630 on the other hand is really fast enough, now if 3230 was that fast, I wouldn't have had a single problem. But, now in 3230 they haven't included an FM, which is a necessity for many people even though you can store a lot of songs in the phone.

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
If you know how java works, you will never say that again :p
Practically, there cannt be any java virus for mobile phone. This is because a java application to use any native function, like a file IO to phone/card memory, either application will prompt every time it does the same, or it have to be digitally signed.

How about a simple program that constantly overloads the available mem. ??? Or maybe another that constantly send sms's ??? Once u install the java app. it gets almost full control as soon as u launch it ... it can do whatever it wants ....

Venom

Journeyman
tech_your_future said:
But, now in 3230 they haven't included an FM, which is a necessity for many people even though you can store a lot of songs in the phone.
3230 has FM, atleast in the one I have, its not integrated though, there is the radio software and an enhancement piece provided to supply FM.

Pathik

Google Bot
tech_your_future said:
All well and agreed but main problem arises is the computing power in these cell phones. Most of the phones just can't handle the array of activities that many users do i.e. multitasking. That has been a big problem with Nokia phones. I'd like to make full use of my Nokia 3230 and I can but it's so slow that it irritates me. I am not saying it should have power of a personal computer. Nokia 6630 on the other hand is really fast enough, now if 3230 was that fast, I wouldn't have had a single problem. But, now in 3230 they haven't included an FM, which is a necessity for many people even though you can store a lot of songs in the phone.
multitasking isnt possible in most os7 fones as they hav only abt 8mb usable ram....... the cheapest s60 the ngage QD has 12mb usable ram so multitasking is a breeze on it..... and the n70 has 22mb ram so its the best choice now.......

prankie

D PrankMaster
yup, almost all new symbian phones have good amt. of RAM.. N3250 also has 22MB Ram, of which 18-20MB is free during fresh startup...

kumarmohit

Technomancer
Just because Symbian has virus risks we should not use it
pooh pooh
just because my legs can be broken I should not walk or just because I am going to die one day i should not live at all

to be very frank people if one cannot keep a Symbian fone safe He's not able to harness its true power he does not deserve it at all

Alfansey06

Broken In
kumarmohit said:
Just because Symbian has virus risks we should not use it
pooh pooh
just because my legs can be broken I should not walk or just because I am going to die one day i should not live at all

to be very frank people if one cannot keep a Symbian fone safe He's not able to harness its true power he does not deserve it at all
no, not like that....
walking is like talking - basic feature, required to be done.

having symbian is like having sex with a prostitute. a small mistake and you are infected.
its your chice - you want to enjoy or play safe.
:-D

Last edited:

prankie

D PrankMaster
Huh.. what an excuse.
First of all symbian is not that vulnerable... and if u r so afraid of virus than stop using windows in ur pc... because windows is more likely to be attacked by virus than symbian...
seccondly, in future u'll find only smartphones... they are the future of mobile technology, and i'm not talkin abt symbi only.. in future u'll find phone based on all the platforms...
so its bettr u accept them now..
thirdly u must'nt compare smartphone with normalphones... smartphones are more or less like computers....
so my suggestion to all people
JAGO GRAHAK JAGO!!!!

Pathik

Google Bot
Alfansey06 said:
having symbian is like having sex with a prostitute. a small mistake and you are infected.
Then having SE is like going to the himalayas and meditating..... :))
btw if having symbian is like that then how s havin a PC like ????? :))

the.kaushik

œ∑´®†¥¨ˆøπåß∂ƒ©˙∆˚¬Ω≈ ç√∫˜
i go with pathiks.. i too used many non-symbian phones before but once i started using n-gage QD a symbian phon i promised nevere and never to go for non-symbian phone because
1> they re user friendly
2> geeks can do lot of experiments with it
3> connectivity
4> support... if ur mobile doesnot support some format then there is always a software to help u.. as in most case
5> extendable memory.. upto 1gb and more and now n91 with 3gb inbuilt
6> and for QD specially those out standing games... they thrills.. specially ASPHALT GT 2
one thing more is games.. there is always hell lot of difference between jar games and sis game quality..

friend i would say one try symbian and u will be lost with it.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
But as of what I have heard symbian is loosing favours with cell phone manufacturers and they plan to move soon toward windows and linux based smart phones. Even from nokia we are seeing non-symbian phones in hig-end segment. Yes, I agree symbian is all powerful. But, I consider it an unnecessary vice for whosoever is using the phone and doesn't make full use of it's capability.
It's way better to buy a non symbian SE W series cell phone for my sister then a symbian phone with not so good sound quality at the same price. So, if you aren't going to make full use of symbian's capability, no use of paying those extra bucks for it. Rather pay for what features you are going to use.
I personally prefer symbian cos I need functionality and don't care much for sound quality, which nokia lags behind SE. I haven't tried N series phones, I can't afford it, but of what I have heard they can't match sound quality of SE of the same price range.

teknoPhobia

t3h g04t
but temme who uses radio wid shoutcast stations in this country?

I do :D

And for all of you [sarcasm] extremely well informed [/sarcasm] gentlemen concerned about viruses :x , who have (probably) never used a smartphone in their lives, this should explain the real situation far better than I can here

*3lib.ukonline.co.uk/viruses.htm

And Series 60 v3 (9.1) does not even allow you to use unsigned apps...

Still think viruses for symbian are a real problem?

Last edited:

Pathik

Google Bot
ashu_dps said:
Hey pathik, how do u compress it to 400 kb
hey sorry ashu i didnt see ur post....
u can use a fondo converter for that

@tekno u can install unsigned app in os9.1 but u need to switch off security 4 that......
and if u know how to do that than u ll know how to protect ur fone 4m viruses too......
neways thx tekno for that post.....
hope that some ppl ll turn to symbian now !!! :))

Last edited:
anarchist said:
antivirus? how many people here feel safe against virus if you have antivirus installed symbian.

i own a Java based phone and never visited any mechanic. my friend has symbian, he has to frequently go to mechanics for this or that.

well i have used symbian ph from the last 3years...6600 to 6630...to n90

i have never formatted my ph and never used any antivirus..it depends from the source from where u download games,applications,themes,java apps and games,
fonts,txt files etc

well symbian phones are like addiction..when u tried making the full use of ur ph!im sure u will never go for sony,samsung or lg
symbian os is the most powerful in regards of functions.customise.and features then other phones tht gives ur predefined media players,default camera functions and the same menu again n again

go for symbian ph man...its like building ur own ph..ie installing softwares,games and so much to do..u wont be bored..bcz each day new games and applications developed..and its more thn enough to handle !!

Pathik

Google Bot
neerajvohra said:
well i have used symbian ph from the last 3years...6600 to 6630...to n90

i have never formatted my ph and never used any antivirus..it depends from the source from where u download games,applications,themes,java apps and games,
fonts,txt files etc

well symbian phones are like addiction..when u tried making the full use of ur ph!im sure u will never go for sony,samsung or lg
symbian os is the most powerful in regards of functions.customise.and features then other phones tht gives ur predefined media players,default camera functions and the same menu again n again

go for symbian ph man...its like building ur own ph..ie installing softwares,games and so much to do..u wont be bored..bcz each day new games and applications developed..and its more thn enough to handle !!
eggxacttllyyy :))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom