What are your top game development studios?

heidi2521

Padawan
For me they would be:

Paradox Development Studio
The Creative Assembly
Platinum Games/Capcom Clover
EAD
Monolith Soft

Game development studio not cinematic set piece with tacked on gameplay development studio. :p

Edit: Since there seems to be some confusion in the posts:

Video Game Developer: A video game developer is a software developer (a business or an individual) which creates video games. A developer may specialize in a certain video game console (such as Nintendo's Wii U, Microsoft's Xbox 360, Sony's PlayStation 3), or may develop for a number of systems (including personal computers)

Video Game Publisher: A video game publisher is a company that publishes video games that they have either developed internally or have had developed by a video game developer.

Game Engine: A game engine is a system designed for the creation and development of video games. The leading game engines provide a software framework that developers use to create games for video game consoles and personal computers. The core functionality typically provided by a game engine includes a rendering engine (“renderer”) for 2D or 3D graphics, a physics engine or collision detection (and collision response), sound, scripting, animation, artificial intelligence, networking, streaming, memory management, threading, localization support, and a scene graph. The process of game development is often economized, in large part, by reusing/adapting the same game engine to create different games, or to make it easier to "port" games to multiple platforms.

Last edited:

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Kojima Productions ( MGS always No.1 for me)
Naughty Dog
Quantic Dream
Santa Monica
Bethesda Game Studios ( Skyrim is the best RPG i've ever played)
BioWare
DICE ( especially for Mirror's edge :)) )
Polyphony Digital
Namco ( Huge tekken fan and also an expert coz playing the game for more than a decade now, since the original PS1)
Crystal Dynamics ( Also core design for earlier tomb raider titles)

There's my top 10.

Honourable mention - Team ICO

Last edited:
OP
H

heidi2521

Padawan
Naughty Dog :grin:
Vigil

Too bad most of Vigil are now working at Crytek :(.

Konami ( MGS always No.1 for me)
Naughty Dog
Quantic Dream
Santa Monica
Bethesda Game Studios ( Skyrim is the best RPG i've ever played)
BioWare
DICE ( especially for Mirror's edge :)) )
Polyphony Digital
Namco ( Huge tekken fan and also an expert coz playing the game for more than a decade now, since the original PS1)
Crystal Dynamics ( Also core design for earlier tomb raider titles)

There's my top 10.

Uhh... Konami is not a game development studio.

OP
H

heidi2521

Padawan
I specifically referred MGS ( i.e MGS1). There was no kojima productions then. Post edited as per recent times.

Konami wasn't a studio at that time either. Konami Computer Entertainment Japan was the studio, Konami the publisher. KojiPro is the spiritual successor to KCEJ, much like Platinum Games is to Capcom Clover

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Konami wasn't a studio at that time either. Konami Computer Entertainment Japan was the studio, Konami the publisher. KojiPro is the spiritual successor to KCEJ, much like Platinum Games is to Capcom Clover

KCEJ was a subsidiary of Konami japan back then. Its now merged with its company.
Should have written Kojima productions in the first place. Thanks for pointing it out.

OP
H

heidi2521

Padawan
KCEJ was a subsidiary of Konami japan back then. Its now merged with its company.
Should have written Kojima productions in the first place. Thanks for pointing it out.

Yeah. But the merger was a stealth dissolution and they haven't developed any games since.

I'm pretty sure if EAD was "merged" into Nintendo after its employees had left and formed a new subsidiary known Miyamoto Productions that took over EAD franchises like Super Mario & The Legend of Zelda and no games were developed by Nintendo after that, Nintendo wouldn't be considered a development studio either ;)

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
Rockstar [GTA, RDR, LA Noire]
Naughty Dog [UC, TLoU]
Valve [HL, Portal]
Crystal Dynamics [TR]
Bethesda [Fallout]
ID Tech [Doom, Quake, and their Engines]
Epic Games [Unreal + Engine]

darkv0id

Journeyman
Looking Glass [Thief, System Shock]
CDProjekt RED [The Witcher, The Witcher 2]
Valve [HL, Portal, Left4Dead, TF2]
Bethesda Game Studios [Elder Scrolls, Fallout 3]

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
Okay people, id Tech is an engine, THQ is (was) a publisher.

Try not to mix up Pubs, Devs and engines please :)

Top Bottom