What are KDE and Gnome ? ? ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
isn`t nautilus a file manager for gnome like konquerer for kde.You can change the looks by going to control center and changing background,color scheme,window decorations,splash screen,screensaver and more.In gnome you change the theme in preferences and theme

pallavnawani

Broken In
//siddhartha// said:
Well, @vignesh and all others, if KDE and Gnome are Desktops for LINUX, they can be installed on any LINUX. Is Nautilus also a desktop.. I mean ... Wht can one change in a desktop? Taskbar ? Clock or Wallpapers ? ? ?

Kde / Gnome are present in almost all distributions that I know of. Most distributions also allow you to switch between them at will. Of course, live CD's may carry only one of them because of space limitations. I think ( I could be wrong) Kde stands for K desktop Environment.

What can you change in a desktop?
Linux uses X for its graphical displays. That means that every GUI application displayed is managed by the Window manager, and the widget (such as buttons ) are made in some toolkit or other (such as Gtk). So you can change both the things in a desktop - the window manager decorations, and the widget themes. For Gnome, this means that you can change GTk themes and metacity themes separately, enabling you to change the look of the desktop totally.

If you are clever, you can get rid of the boring metacity window manager, and use a different window manager, like the awesome enlightenment. Then you can install enlightenment themes, etc.
*www.enlightenment.org/

You can also change the Gnome panel - you can add panel applets to it, you can change the size of the panel, you can move it to the top, right, left.. You can even get rid of the panel completely.

Pallav

OP
S

//siddhartha//

Stabbing my shoe
GR8 post..

pallavnawani said:
//siddhartha// said:
Well, @vignesh and all others, if KDE and Gnome are Desktops for LINUX, they can be installed on any LINUX. Is Nautilus also a desktop.. I mean ... Wht can one change in a desktop? Taskbar ? Clock or Wallpapers ? ? ?

Kde / Gnome are present in almost all distributions that I know of. Most distributions also allow you to switch between them at will. Of course, live CD's may carry only one of them because of space limitations. I think ( I could be wrong) Kde stands for K desktop Environment.

What can you change in a desktop?
Linux uses X for its graphical displays. That means that every GUI application displayed is managed by the Window manager, and the widget (such as buttons ) are made in some toolkit or other (such as Gtk). So you can change both the things in a desktop - the window manager decorations, and the widget themes. For Gnome, this means that you can change GTk themes and metacity themes separately, enabling you to change the look of the desktop totally.

If you are clever, you can get rid of the boring metacity window manager, and use a different window manager, like the awesome enlightenment. Then you can install enlightenment themes, etc.
*www.enlightenment.org/

You can also change the Gnome panel - you can add panel applets to it, you can change the size of the panel, you can move it to the top, right, left.. You can even get rid of the panel completely.

Pallav

Well, your post was very good I must admit.. Now, that I hve installed SuSE 9.1 on my computer, I need to ask that.. KDE has been given in the DIGIT DVD.. So, how do I install it and how exactly can upgrading a desktop change things.. Does it include programs, visual styles or what ???

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
upgrading kde can change things like newer media players versions , look of the desktop as well as a few bug fixing and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom