What are KDE and Gnome ? ? ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

//siddhartha//

Stabbing my shoe
Well, I hve heard these names quite often in LUNIX.. What are these? Moreover, how can one play MP3s in UBUNTU LIVE CD (4.10) ? ?

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
These are desk top managers similar to what explorer is in windows. There are a large many of these available but gnome and kde are the most popular. To know more about them go to there website and read / contribute to the project.

cool_dude_prav

In the zone
//siddhartha// said:
Well, I hve heard these names quite often in LUNIX.. What are these? Moreover, how can one play MP3s in UBUNTU LIVE CD (4.10) ? ?

Some answers are already given above...

But seems @pradeep has forgotten..

MP3 can be played using
:arrow: Kaffeine(on KDE)
:arrow: XMMS(old, but looks like WinAMP)
:arrow: amaroK(also KDE)

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
vignesh said:
THe ubuntu live cd does not support mp3
It does support MP3's . You need to download separate applications to play them. For Ubuntu download XMMS, Xine from here:

*archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/x/xmms/

tuxfan

Technomancer
How can I use a downloaded software with a Live! CD? Please give more info.

(I assume here that there is no distro installed on my HD)

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
You may download the precompiled .tgz versions of the packages (as they distribute in digit DVDs).. Extract the tgz file in /tmp area, and run the binary from there.

One may also copy and extract the package file in an existing partiton, mount that partition and run the binary from there.

Installing packages on a Live CD is not possible, since it will write on /usr which is not there on the ramdisk.

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
GNUrag said:
You may download the precompiled .tgz versions of the packages (as they distribute in digit DVDs).. Extract the tgz file in /tmp area, and run the binary from there.

One may also copy and extract the package file in an existing partiton, mount that partition and run the binary from there.

Installing packages on a Live CD is not possible, si
nce it will write on /usr which is not there on the ramdisk.

I actually asked that question in the ubuntu forums and thats what they replied.Any way what is a binary package .Is it the one with .bin extension

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
Binary package is one in which everything (including the dependency) to run a package is there in a single tgz file. It does not need to be installed, just by extracting it works.

Try downloading the Mozilla directly from Mozilla's site, what they'll give you is a precompiled tgz file.

.bin file are also precompiled binaries, except that it also contains decompressors and you dont even have to untar and gunzip it.

OP
S

//siddhartha//

Stabbing my shoe
No .tgz files..

I downloaded the .deb fine.. But after I started the LIVE CD, the program failed to load... Moreover, the link you gave does not contain any .tgz file..
*archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/x/xmms/

But there are: .tar.gz files.. Is that it what you mentioned ? ?

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
.tar.gz and .tgz mean the same. What you'll find there is a tar.gz of original source code called *.orig.tar.gz and a debian modification patch called .diff.tar.gz

These are sources and it needs to be compiled in /tmp before if can be usable. If you have downloaded .deb files then you can get the binary out of the deb file by
$ dpkg -X xmms-2.2.4-i386.deb

this will extract xmms binary, but i'm not sure if it would work this way.

OP
S

//siddhartha//

Stabbing my shoe
But where am I to use this command? In the LIVE CD after the desktop has come up, what should I do? is there a run option or something in UBUNTU LIVE CD...
My downloaded .deb is in C: (or hda1)..

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
From the live CD, mount the windows drive and copy it inside your /tmp/ directory.. Then you can extract those deb files.
but note that i am not sure if it will work this way.

OP
S

//siddhartha//

Stabbing my shoe
Hey Guys, nothing seems to work.. Anyways, I left trying the XMMS program.. Instead, I copied the mplayer file from DIGIT Mar 2005 DVD on my C: and then started the UBUNTU Live CD by rebooting.. I double clicked the file and then it asked me extract files.. I extracted them on my C: and then started the "mplayer" program which was inside somewhere in the extrated folder.. But it did not run and nor did LINUX show any message..
What's wrong?

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
after extracting the files you have to install mplayer by first configuring it follow the steps in the other post *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18671

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
GNUrag said:
.tar.gz and .tgz mean the same. What you'll find there is a tar.gz of original source code called *.orig.tar.gz and a debian modification patch called .diff.tar.gz

These are sources and it needs to be compiled in /tmp before if can be usable. If you have downloaded .deb files then you can get the binary out of the deb file by
$ dpkg -X xmms-2.2.4-i386.deb

this will extract xmms binary, but i'm not sure if it would work this way.
you cant compile because the gcc etc is not present in the live cd

OP
S

//siddhartha//

Stabbing my shoe
Well, @vignesh and all others, if KDE and Gnome are Desktops for LINUX, they can be installed on any LINUX. Is Nautilus also a desktop.. I mean ... Wht can one change in a desktop? Taskbar ? Clock or Wallpapers ? ? ?

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
Yes you can install kde / gnome on any linux distro.
Nautilus is a graphical shell for GNOME that makes it easy to manage your files and the rest of your system.
To change look use plugins / theams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom