Western Digital Announces 6TB External Hard Drive

NIGHTMARE

ANGEL OF DEATH
*i.imgur.com/7B77m.jpg*i.imgur.com/z0NLO.jpg*i.imgur.com/oOjwy.jpg

Western Digital today introduced its My Book Studio Edition II dual-drive storage system with a massive 6 terabytes (TB) of storage to meet the capacity needs of today’s creative pros and Mac enthusiasts who create, store, edit and archive large HD video and photo files. The new capacity provides users 33 percent more storage than the previous capacity, while maintaining the same footprint.
Extra-fast Performance and RAID Supported Configurations
Fast eSATA or FireWire 800 interfaces, combined with RAID-supported configurations, will yield the speed and responsiveness users need for a variety of tasks including fast, smooth video editing; rendering complex 3D objects or special effects, and saving/transferring enormous blocks of data in a fraction of the time it once took.

Formatted for Mac computers, these new storage systems feature:
● Massive 6 TB capacity;
● Extra-fast performance with four interfaces (FireWire 800/400, eSATA, USB 2.0);
Cool, eco-friendly operation with WD’s drives with WD GreenPower Technology that consume approximately one-third less power than standard dual-drive external storage systems and efficient convection cooling architecture and power-saving mode and designed without a fan to run quietly;
● Automatic and continuous backup software;
● User serviceability, enabling the user to open the enclosure and replace the drive inside;
● Capacity gauge to see at a glance how much space is available on the system; and,
5-year limited warranty.
deal for
Smooth video editing, rendering complex 3D objects or special effects and saving huge blocks of data in record time.

System Requirements

* Available USB port, FireWire 800 or 400 port, eSATA port or eSATA adapter card
* Mac OS X 10.4.10+, 10.5.2+
* Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7
Note: The 4 TB version works with Windows® Vista and Windows 7 only. Windows 2000/XP do not support hard drives with capacities above 2 TB.

Source

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
no USB 3.0 but priced at 25k. maybe the title says it all "Studio Edition II". not suited for home use.

on yes, also no thunderbolt port. maybe Hitachi's purchase have affected WD's mental balance. why these companies skip these lowcost features that turns to be a deal breaker over time.

OP
NIGHTMARE

NIGHTMARE

ANGEL OF DEATH
WARNING! If this drive has two hard drives and some kind of controller card, be careful. I had a similar LaCie drive that one of the drives crashed and corrupted ALL of the data. It cost a fortune and a lot of heartbreak to find out that the data was not recoverable. My advice if you want a lot of capacity, buy multiple drives. Don't put all of you eggs in one basket.

nisargshah95

Your Ad here
WARNING! If this drive has two hard drives and some kind of controller card, be careful. I had a similar LaCie drive that one of the drives crashed and corrupted ALL of the data. It cost a fortune and a lot of heartbreak to find out that the data was not recoverable. My advice if you want a lot of capacity, buy multiple drives. Don't put all of you eggs in one basket.

Yeah. +1

I'd prefer buying multiple drives. As if some physical damage occured then at least you have another drive too...

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Every external hard drive comes with a converter card. Some come with a controller on the PCB, some don't as the controller (I am not referring to the motor controller) on the Hard drive's PCB does the job.

If your hard drive crashed and corrupted the data, most probably the unit itself is defective. That's something that can happen with any brand (unfortunately) and no1 gives "free" data retrival support because its a very expensive process.

Oh! 5 years warranty. Besides, these drives come with 4K alignment IINM. If this had NAS support or if there's a way to wifi dongle+ put some hack to convert it as a wireless NAS/ torrent/HTTP downloader, that would be pretty neat.

Top Bottom