Weird uTorrent Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

a_to_z123

asia://india/ka/bangalore
Hi guys,

I've been facing this problem since over an year now and now I'm sure there needs to be an explanation behind it.

What I've experienced over the last 1.5 years is this that whenever I download torrents with Seeders/Leechers greater than 1000 or so, I get very slow speeds. Whereas when the S/L are comparatively below 300-400 or so, the speeds are awesome!

I've configured my client with the pro settings for the most optimum speeds possible. Always used with TCP/IP connection limits removed.
I've tried different PCs, OSes, internet connections and torrent clients too, but the condition is the same always!

I want to know if there is an explanation behind this?? Why torrents with less number of S/L (even around 3-10) give full speed while those with thousands DO NOT!

Awaiting your responses...

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
The speed depends on seed/peer ratio and even if you have 1000 seeds not all of them will be uploading at high speed.

hansraj

In the zone
there appears to be some fake mechanism as well... at times you find surprising number of seeders even when the file has been uploaded just few hrs ago, which is unlikely

sujoyp

Grand Master
rhitwick is absolutely correct...if there r 10 seeder and 5 peers then speed will be good
but if there are 250 seeder and 1000 peer then the speed will obviously decrese:smile:

OP
a_to_z123

a_to_z123

OK I agree with u guys... But tell me one thing, when I've increased the max no of connections then why doesn't it use all of them and connect to as many seeds/peers as possible.
If that happens then collective speed will definitely be up to the mark!
Its not possible that out of 1000+ seeds there are none which are giving good speeds.. Or is the client not able to find and connect to the good ones??

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
Files have 1000 or so seeds only when they are very much in demand. As demand falls, people stop seeding it. So when there are more than 1000 seeds, it means the torrent is in demand and that a lot of people are downloading it. So there may be more than 2000-3000 peers leechers as well. It isn't possible to connect to all of them. Yes many are uploading at high speeds, but many are downloading at much higher speeds as well. 16 mbps connections are common in many countries. in India, most of us use 2 mbps connections thanks to BSNL, otherwise we would have been on 256 kbps limited bandwidth connection. So, the upload speed ratio also plays a part. no matter what, on a 2 mbps conenction, it is hard to upload at more than 400-500 kbps. Also, connections are not made to many peers which are uploading at slow speeds. There are various other factors as well which prevent connections to many peers, one of which is the distance. Connection to someone in India is much easier than to someone in Brazil. So most of the time we download from Indian PCs only which generally upload at slow speeds.
I think you would be at least partially satisfied by this reply!

Last edited:
OP
a_to_z123

a_to_z123

Yes exactly! Only partially satisfied :)
Coz in my peer list I have peers from all over the world and not just India!

Rest is still a mystery... Doubts will remain!!

parthbarot

In the zone
basically seeders allow some amount of upload speed only... And also not all are connected at same time... Also check if there is any problem regarding your net connection..I dont think so..it should be regarding the torrent you are d'loading...

OP
a_to_z123

a_to_z123

basically seeders allow some amount of upload speed only... And also not all are connected at same time... Also check if there is any problem regarding your net connection..I dont think so..it should be regarding the torrent you are d'loading...

No sir, I dont have a prob wid my net cnxn as I've said in my first post..

The doubt which is lurking is that why does the client not connect to all the potential seeders instead of using all the permissible open connections!:???:

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
I don't understand how you have a doubt about this. Doesn't it sound weird in itself? If there are 20 seeds & 10 leechers, basically you say there should be 30! (factorial 30) i.e. 265252859812191000000000000000000 connections amongst all seeders and peers combined! Isn't there any limitation of the tracker?

---------- Post added at 07:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 AM ----------

And just imagine the number of connections as the number of peers goes up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom