weird problem, solution etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta
So a neightbour has a problem, his PC starts then stops after a couple of seconds .
I opened his case , just looked around couldn't figure out anything.
SO the next day he got an engineer to look into it.
Now the engineer has identified the problem, but its something I have never heard of, he is saying there is some problem with the power button/wire connecting the power button. and will have to get the cabinet replaced.
Does this make any sense ??

he is getting his PC upgraded by the same engineer.

Edit: his pc is set to start when AC power is switched on . i.e when you switch on the main power the PC automatically starts. Now ofcourse its starts and then stops. What I don't understand is how can the power button be the problem in this case ( since the PC starts automatically)

Last edited:

saqib_khan

I M A *STAR*
I would like to give a suggestion. The engineer may be right. Do one thing. Short two power pins from the motherboard directly and then start. See if it runs stable or not. If it runs stable, without restarting, then the culprit may be power button/wire connecting the power button. And if it restarts, then then the problem may be something else.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
It takes only a momentary contact of the switch to turn the computer on. Sometimes, the contact sticks and does not release immediately and continues to make contact when the button is released. So it acts the same as if the button is kept pressed.

If this is the reason, the computer will turn off by itself after 4 seconds, not a couple of secs.

It should not be necessary to replace the whole cabinet because of this. The switch itself can be replaced by a technician.

A spare switch should be available from a good electronics parts shop. I recently bought 20 of them for Rs.5 each in Kolkata, but the two wires have to be soldered to the switch.

Some computer shops may have a switch with the wire already soldered in place.

Sometimes it's the plastic button, not the switch itself, that sticks. You can tell that by careful observation.

raj_v1982

Broken In
i had the same problem
the computer starts on as soon the AC power is switched on and the computer gets off itself within 2 seconds.
I changed my psu with highed watts psu.
The problem is solved.

so get psu with highed watts , or change the power button :)

vaibhav99

Broken In
Just Try this also,

1) try connecting reset button switch to power connectors on motherboard
this will let you know if the button is problem

2) remove ram and clean it and then again press them tightly on its slot

3) make sure that there is no direct contact between motherboard and cabinet

hope this solve ur friend problem ...

OP
chesss

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta
1) try connecting reset button switch to power connectors on motherboard
this will let you know if the button is problem
THIs is what the engineer did, and while it did let the PC start , everything is now running ultra -slow ( in my neighbours words)

thanks for the replies people. he is finally getting his pc upgraded now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom