Weird internet Slowdown

azzu

AJJU
I have a AMD x4 phenom
4gb ram , 1.5TB HDD and Local 600w PSU ( i knw , iam getting a upgrade soon :D ) , 2MbPS local ISP

My system was running Great till now.
but from Last two days When iam trying to access the Internet ( through browser - note : any browser) Websites are taking a hell lot of time sometimes almost 2-3 minutes , even google is taking 1-2 minutes..
While this is the case Through browser , downloads in same browser and Downloads via torrents are on their regular 100- 120 kBps speed
and i have a asus Wifi router - through which i access internet in mobile and my tab .. speed is also good via the Router..
iam not understanding why its behaving so weird Through Browser

i have done Full system boot-time scan ( avast , my tried and tested mate from 5 years)
Registry cleaning , Hijack this (cudnt see any suspicious files ) , booted into safe mode and De-fragmented , disk checked .

Still no Help , Would love your Thoughts and Inputs on This
Thx

Vignesh B

Youngling
1. Try deleting the browser(s) cache, temporary internet files ( I am assuming that by registry cleaning, you didn't clean cache and all)
2. Try disabling all the plugins and then enable them one by one(perhaps there is one common impish plugin running in all your browsers)
3. Worst case scenario - Reinstall the browser(s)

OP
azzu

azzu

AJJU
^as my ISP has a getaway (needs to login and use ) unable to change the DNS from the one they specified.
@vignesh . did all three steps

Vignesh B

Youngling
Ok. Try re-installing your network card drivers. Since you are saying, downloads/torrents run fine, I doubt it will solve, but still worth trying.
Assuming you are using Windows, can you check if the symptoms exist in any other OS?

clmlbx

Technomancer
If you have cleaned cache and temp files (other then manual try using ccleaner ) then it looks problem of DNS..

but try pinging and share what results you get..

open command prompt and type ping and the you ip address and also with gateway address

rohit32407

Ambassador of Buzz
Once i ran into same problem and it turned out to be a problem with MTU value. Don't know how it got changed but either the websites just dint open or took hell lot of time to open. If your download speed is proper then i think you should try finding out optimal MTU value and set it to that value. By default in windows 7 its 1500 which is not optimal in most cases. For me 1470 works perfectly, anything above that and data gets fragmented which results in packet losses hence slow HTTP/web speed.

See this link once-:
*www.hacksparrow.com/web-speed-is-slow-but-torrent-speed-is-fast.html

Last edited:
OP
azzu

azzu

AJJU
--> Re-installing the Drivers and Browsers done
--> Cache cleaning , Temp files cleaning Done
--> checkd for virus'es and spyware done
--> cleaned the Registry

tried DNS servers of OPEN DNS , GOOGLE , etc.. still no help..
tried but Cudnt find the Optimum MTU value..

tried everything but still the problem persists.. Helpppp

rohit32407

Ambassador of Buzz
You couldn't find optimum value? try ping Google -f -l 1465 ...if it still says data is fragmented keep notching it down by 5 points until you can ping it normally. If at 1440 you find that its already normally pinging then you can try notching it up by 5 points. I highly suspect that it has got something to do with the MTU value since you can download normally but can't browse. Had it been drivers i think you wouldnt hve had any data transfer at all. Thats just my view, I could be wrong. Whats your current MTU value

P.S. in above command its ping w ww.google.co.in -f -l 1465

*imageshack.us/a/img39/2595/mtuq.jpg

Last edited:
OP
azzu

azzu

AJJU
@Vignesh ; did that , no help at all..
@Rohit .. did that too .. Well till 1500-1470 iam getting packets need to be fragmented statement
below 1470 (1469- so on ) iam getting a request timed out statement ( is it normal ? )

rohit32407

Ambassador of Buzz
well not at all normal..try setting it to 1465 anyway...and see what happens..which ISP btw?

Or else first try to find out whats your current MTU value. Then set it to 1500 and then start finding out your optimum value.

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ OP - check your host file -- make sure there's not lots of entry on that and if possible boot with a linux distro and try accessing internet from that or else disbale/uninstall AV r other security apps, disable windows firewall, windows defender etc. and see what happens.

OP
azzu

azzu

AJJU
@ Rohit : did doing that putting MTU 1465 - no help ..
my current value is 1500 .. ( as i told earlier .. tried finding but after 1470 its giving request timed error and at 1470 and above fragmented statement )

@ Topgear : checked host files no problems or extra sites at all..did with AV , i have no security apps except AV ..and disabled firewall too :(
i have a wifi router ( asus 150 n ) the internet frm wifi is working like charm so is it in asus express gate ...so are youtube videos and Torrent downloads..
only the websites from browsers giving me a hard time :(

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
use sfc /scannow command and if it does not solve the issue format and reinstall windows.

Top Bottom