WebCam under Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a basic tech-com webcam. I need it to work in linux.

Here is a part of the output of dmesg | more which I think can help:

Code:
ACPI: Error installing bay notify handler
ACPI: Bay [\_SB_.PCI0.IDE1.CHN1.DRV0] Added
Linux video capture interface: v2.00
iTCO_vendor_support: vendor-support=0
iTCO_wdt: Intel TCO WatchDog Timer Driver v1.02 (26-Jul-2007)
iTCO_wdt: Found a ICH6 or ICH6R TCO device (Version=2, TCOBASE=0x0460)
iTCO_wdt: initialized. heartbeat=30 sec (nowayout=0)
input: PC Speaker as /devices/platform/pcspkr/input/input4
Real Time Clock Driver v1.12ac
/tmp/buildd/linux-modules-sidux-main-2.6-2.6.25.rev33/debian/build/build_i386_none_sidux-686_gspca/gspca_core.c: USB GSPCA camera found. SONIX
 sn9c10[1 2]
/tmp/buildd/linux-modules-sidux-main-2.6-2.6.25.rev33/debian/build/build_i386_none_sidux-686_gspca/gspca_core.c: [spca5xx_probe:4275] Camera t
ype SN9C
/tmp/buildd/linux-modules-sidux-main-2.6-2.6.25.rev33/debian/build/build_i386_none_sidux-686_gspca/gspca_core.c: [spca5xx_getcapability:1249]
maxw 640 maxh 480 minw 160 minh 120
usbcore: registered new interface driver gspca
/tmp/buildd/linux-modules-sidux-main-2.6-2.6.25.rev33/debian/build/build_i386_none_sidux-686_gspca/gspca_core.c: gspca driver 01.00.20 registe
red
intel_rng: Firmware space is locked read-only. If you can't or
intel_rng: don't want to disable this in firmware setup, and if
intel_rng: you are certain that your system has a functional
intel_rng: RNG, try using the 'no_fwh_detect' option.
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1f.3[B] -> GSI 19 (level, low) -> IRQ 19
sn9c102: V4L2 driver for SN9C1xx PC Camera Controllers v1:1.47pre49
usbcore: registered new interface driver sn9c102
input: ImExPS/2 Generic Explorer Mouse as /devices/platform/i8042/serio1/input/input5
parport_pc 00:09: reported by Plug and Play ACPI
parport0: PC-style at 0x378, irq 7 [PCSPP,TRISTATE,EPP]
Adding 497972k swap on /dev/sda8.  Priority:-1 extents:1 across:497972k
EXT3 FS on sda9, internal journal
fuse init (API version 7.9)
kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
EXT3 FS on sda10, internal journal

Please help. I need this to work because otherwise I can't post a pic for <THIS THREAD>.

*cough* H.E.L.P *cough*

Last edited:

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
I don't know much about this error. But I also have one webcam. Till date, every Linux I tried, was unable to detect my webcam... But....

Yesterday I installed OpenSuSE 11... n Voillaaaaa..... My webcam was detected n I'm now able to take photos through my webcam in OpenSuSE. :)

Pat

Beyond Smart
I have one alternative.Not the best, but will get ur work done.how about booting into Ubuntu Live environment to take the pic ?

I don't know much about this error. But I also have one webcam. Till date, every Linux I tried, was unable to detect my webcam... But....

Yesterday I installed OpenSuSE 11... n Voillaaaaa..... My webcam was detected n I'm now able to take photos through my webcam in OpenSuSE. :)

Hardy picked up my webcam OTB :)

Last edited:

this is no error :lol:
Its just a section of the output of a command I used to see if my webcam is detected or not.

An article said that if the webcam is mentioned here, I am really lucky.

I don't know how to proceed from here.

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
I have one alternative.Not the best, but will get ur work done.how about booting into Ubuntu Live environment to take the pic ?

Hardy picked up my webcam OTB :)
Hardy never detected my Webcam :(

I use my Laptop's webcam. :|

Hardy never detected my Webcam :(

I use my Laptop's webcam. :|
laptop cams have the biggest problem, since their doccumentation is often hidden, as they are sometimes never sold loosely, and are manufactured and sold with the laptop itself, with the driver sometimes already loaded into custom OS install CDs.(HP Pavillion systems do this)

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
I do have a HP Pavillion Laptop. But didn't get webcam drivers for Linux.

But as now OpenSuSE detected it, I have no worries now... :)

And one more thing is that, my lappy also have Fingerprint Reader. Is there any software for that on Linux ??

NucleusKore

TheSaint
There is a guy who compiled a whole bunch of drivers for these chinese cams. They are available as a webcam driver pack in OpenSuSE.

Just see these pages for Deb
*mxhaard.free.fr/spca5xx.html
*www.seismo.ethz.ch/linux/webcam.html

anantkhaitan

Burning Bright
Try this link: *gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Install_a_webcam

Also try gspca/spca5xx kernel patches by mxhaard as mentioned by NucleusKore, I was able to stream live videos using a chinese webcam (VIMICRO) through this driver patches..

Use VideoView or mplayer for streaming/recording/snapshots.. can also refer my page : Webcam and Mplayer

laptop cams have the biggest problem, since their doccumentation is often hidden, as they are sometimes never sold loosely, and are manufactured and sold with the laptop itself, with the driver sometimes already loaded into custom OS install CDs.(HP Pavillion systems do this)
Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Desktop version auto detected my integrated laptop webcam ( Compaq Presario C773TU)

^^ You mean the drivers or the software to use your webcam ?
software:(
There is a guy who compiled a whole bunch of drivers for these chinese cams. They are available as a webcam driver pack in OpenSuSE.

Just see these pages for Deb
*mxhaard.free.fr/spca5xx.html
*www.seismo.ethz.ch/linux/webcam.html
I saw a linux.com article and I used that command there.
*www.linux.com/feature/118896
From what I can figure out, I was lucky in the first step itself.
Try this link: *gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Install_a_webcam

Also try gspca/spca5xx kernel patches by mxhaard as mentioned by NucleusKore, I was able to stream live videos using a chinese webcam (VIMICRO) through this driver patches..

Use VideoView or mplayer for streaming/recording/snapshots.. can also refer my page : Webcam and Mplayer

Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Desktop version auto detected my integrated laptop webcam ( Compaq Presario C773TU)
Firstly, if Ubuntu 8.04 LTS and OpenSuSE can detect a webcam, then so should Sidux, which is next to almost nothing when it comes to availability of drivers, esp ones which are built in.

In case you bothered to go through the out put of that command I used, then you might have seen that the webcam was DETECTED by the system, but not mounted because the firmware area was not writable. I have NO idea what this means, but hell, I have gotton this close to getting it work.

As for using MPlayer for streaming/recording, IMO, VLC is much better because it is DESIGNED for streaming and is one of the best stream servers available.

But I first need a dedicated WebCam management software, which can help me debug and troubleshoot the webcam.

Besides, the button on the webcam exists for a REASON.

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
WHy don't you try Cheese *www.gnome.org/projects/cheese/ for Webcam Capturing and Video shotting :) Kopete for Video Chat :)

praka123

left this forum longback
OK. you need to install gspca module for your kernel compiled. In sid(ux) , "apt-get install build-essential module-assistant linux-headers-`uname -r` gspca-source"

then see "cat /proc/version" for the version of gcc ,most probably gcc-4.2 .make sure your linker /usr/bin/gcc point to /usr/bin/gcc-4.x (kernel compiler version).

try "m-a update" ,"m-a prepare" , "m-a auto-install gspca" .hopefully this will build a .deb of gspca module in /usr/src directory if it succeed. else ,you may have to use linux-source for a custom kernel :)

OH! use xawtv,cheese and camorama etc.there are many apps. you can pass gamma,contrast etc to module while modprobbing.

consider a depmod -ae afterwards.

Pat

Beyond Smart
Cheese is a GTK app AFAIK and he is on KDE, so my suggestion to him would be to try DigiKam!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom