WebCam under Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK. you need to install gspca module for your kernel compiled. In sid(ux) , "apt-get install build-essential module-assistant linux-headers-`uname -r` gspca-source"

then see "cat /proc/version" for the version of gcc ,most probably gcc-4.2 .make sure your linker /usr/bin/gcc point to /usr/bin/gcc-4.x (kernel compiler version).

try "m-a update" ,"m-a prepare" , "m-a auto-install gspca" .hopefully this will build a .deb of gspca module in /usr/src directory if it succeed. else ,you may have to use linux-source for a custom kernel :)

OH! use xawtv,cheese and camorama etc.there are many apps. you can pass gamma,contrast etc to module while modprobbing.

consider a depmod -ae afterwards.
THATS what I call an answer. THANKS PRAKASH UNCLE :D

I will try everything out and see the result.

Also, Sidux usually installs everything essential, including build-essential (pun intended) by default. Hell, it even installs sambha. I was surprised that it didn't include webcam drivers.

BTW, should I try RareWares kernel instead ?

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
[Offtopic]

Also, Sidux usually installs everything essential, including build-essential (pun intended) by default. Hell, it even installs sambha. I was surprised that it didn't include webcam drivers.
Yeah? It installs "sambha"??? Dammit.. Ubuntu is hopeless.. I'm trying to install Gabbar's Team but it says you either need to be Jai or Veeru to do that! :D :)) :lol:

[/Offtopic]

Btw, you settled on the software? IIRC, there is an online version too.. gBooth. Dunno if its functional now. You can try that too, if it is.

praka123

left this forum longback
camorama FTW! cheese doesnot have any controls to adjust like contrast blah and many more blah ;)

[Offtopic]

Yeah? It installs "sambha"??? Dammit.. Ubuntu is hopeless.. I'm trying to install Gabbar's Team but it says you either need to be Jai or Veeru to do that! :D :)) :lol:

[/Offtopic]

Btw, you settled on the software? IIRC, there is an online version too.. gBooth. Dunno if its functional now. You can try that too, if it is.

ROFL

What I meant that if it installs samba, which is not used by a majority of sidux users, why didn't it also give webcam codecs :lol:

And I never meant to insult ubuntu. :(

I think ubuntu and mandriva long with SuSE and Mint are four of the best newbie oriented mainstream linux distributions.:)

Are you one of those guys along with Filled-Void who use a certain thread as an excuse to tell that I think Ubuntu Sucks ?:mad:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
ROFL

What I meant that if it installs samba, which is not used by a majority of sidux users, why didn't it also give webcam codecs :lol:

And I never meant to insult ubuntu. :(

I think ubuntu and mandriva long with SuSE and Mint are four of the best newbie oriented mainstream linux distributions.:)

Are you one of those guys along with Filled-Void who use a certain thread as an excuse to tell that I think Ubuntu Sucks ?:mad:
Lol :D no.. I'm no ubuntu fan.. I use it coz I need it for my work. Otherwise I'm not any distro's fanboy. The comment was just meant to be taken on lighter note :) The focus of the comment was not Ubuntu or Sid.. but Gabbar's Team and "Sambha" :lol: :))

PS: On a serious note, when it comes to breaking down the distro for heavy customization, Ubuntu just doesn't cut it!

Lol :D no.. I'm no ubuntu fan.. I use it coz I need it for my work. Otherwise I'm not any distro's fanboy. The comment was just meant to be taken on lighter note :) The focus of the comment was not Ubuntu or Sid.. but Gabbar's Team and "Sambha" :lol: :))
OK. Comment taken on a lighter note :)
PS: On a serious note, when it comes to breaking down the distro for heavy customization, Ubuntu just doesn't cut it!
I know :(
I think Gentoo, Debian, etc are better off for that, because they are already broken down to pieces :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom