Web services like Mail & Messengar on SE phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
I activated GPRS on my BSNL SIM with my K750i. The reason for activating GPRS was not browsing, but it was to check my Yahoo Mail, G-Mail, & Windows Live Mail, along with Yahoo messenger while I m away from computers. I did not go for Windows live Messenger or GTalk with Jabbar compatible clients because I hardly need them while on the move.

To configure your Yahoo Mail in K750i. K790i & other similar SE phones, do the following, the settings should be about the same for other phones such as Nokia or Samsung too

Open Control Panel -> Messaging-> E Mail->Settings

Create a new account Name it “Yahoo” & fill in the following settings
Connect Using = Your GPRS portal, in case of BSNL select “bsnlgprs”
Protocol = Pop3
Incoming server = pop.mail.yahoo.com
Incoming port = 110
Encryption = No
Mailbox = your yahoo ID
Password
Outgoing server = smtp.mail.yahoo.com
Outgoing port = 25
E mail Address = your full mail ID including @yahoo.com
Download = Headers only, this only downloads the subject & name
of the sender, no real mail is downloaded. This saves bandwidth,
as you only open or download the mail which u want.
From name = your name
Signature
Copy outgoing & check interval = off, Check interval determines the
automatic mail checking time, turn it off & do so manually, this
again saves bandwidth & tariff charges.

Now, go to your inbox & click on “send & receive”, it will at max download 10 to 20 kb only, again saving money because you are only downloading headers & not the full mail

To Access G Mail on your Mobile phone, you can thank Google for releasing a JAVA based client for mobile phones. This means just like real G Mail only some text based data is transited & not the full webpage or inbox.
Go to *gmail.com/app from your mobile phone’s inbuilt browser. This will straight way give u an option to download the G Mail app for mobile, which is 113 KB only, download & install it. Its JAVA based so it will even work with Symbian Phones (Motorola phones have problems though).

After installation, you need to allow the G Mail client access to internet, for this go to

Control panel->Settings->Connectivity tab->Settings for JAVA, & select your GPRS access point, in case of BSNL select “bsnlgprs”

Now go to File manager -> Applications folder-> & Start the G mail client, now just enter your mail id including @gmail.com & password. It’s secure with SSL. U will see your inbox by default. Now right click to open the menu->Go to->Settings & uncheck the option “preload …….” Again, just like yahoo mail in mobile as mentioned above Gmail will only download the headers & not the whole mail. It will download the mail when you open it.

For Google Talk, check out Talkonaut. It is a Jabber client which supports text only chatting with Yahoo, MSN, ICQ, and AIM & Google Talk.

Yahoo messenger in mobile phones.
There are 2 methods, the GPRS one & SMS one, since SMS method is not supported on BSNL, I opted for the GPRS one.

First, go to *in.mobile.yahoo.com/ click on Messenger on the left hand sidebar, you will find two options, either SMS or GPRS, depending on what you like, opt for either one of them.

If you are going to use the SMS method, the simplest way is to download the yahoo messenger for SMS client, which is again JAVA based. Transfer it to your mobile phone usually & install it. Now simply enter your yahoo ID & Password, to login. When you receive an IM it will be delivered as a SMS. Another such method is via Yahoo messenger for Windows, in which you can simply “Sign in to mobile device”. This however does not support BSNL yet

If you are like me, opting for the GPRS method, so that you only manually check for messages when you need, then check out this page. Using this method, you can check your messenger simply using GPRS irrespective of the carrier. You just sign in using the yahoo Mobile webpage, & you will show as "I am mobile" in Yahoo Messenger, now when ever u recieve an IM, it will be delievered there. Now here is a catch, you don't need to have GPRS enabled always. Just sign in using the mobile client, you will show as Mobile in Yahoo messenger, now exit the browser, which will close GPRS, but you will still be signed on to Messenger, in case someone messeges u, it will be delievered as offline messege & when you manually sign in again, you will see it in your phone

For Windows Live Mail & Messenger, you can follow this page, it uses GPRS Data so it will work with all the carriers out there. I would really suggest MS (gave feedback already) to release a JAVA based WLM client like the G Mail client for mobile

If you are willing to pay, you can use QuickIM for logging in to MSN messenger using GPRS in your mobile phone. It features basic chat features, which are good enough for on the go needs

Last edited:
K

krazyfrog

I'm unable to connect to my yahoo mailbox from my qd. After entering the settings you gave i tried to retrieve the mail. But it asks for my user name and password again and again and finally says 'Connection refused by server. Check username and password'. What am i doing wrong? Also my email id ends in @yahoo.co.in and not in .com

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
Install Free Opera Mini. I am able to surf everything on my K750i, including thinkdigit forum without problems. No settings are required. It's all taken care by Opera Mini. Try it.

K

krazyfrog

I don't have a gmail account pathiks. But i'll try using ProfiMail. Kiran i already have Opera Mini installed and yes its great to use.

K

krazyfrog

Well i tried through ProfiMail but even there i'm told incorrect id and password even though i entered the correct one. What could be wrong?

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
mig33 is good, but it needs a gateway system to access your WLM & Yahoo contacts, which again eats extra bandwidth, also mig33 is paid

krazyfrog said:
I'm unable to connect to my yahoo mailbox from my qd. After entering the settings you gave i tried to retrieve the mail. But it asks for my user name and password again and again and finally says 'Connection refused by server. Check username and password'. What am i doing wrong? Also my email id ends in @yahoo.co.in and not in .com

First you will need to enable yahoo mails to enable delievery to Mail clients. For this go to your yahoo mail preference->Account info, there set the option to deliever yahoo promotion mails directly to your inbox, now u can access mails in phone. Even my ID ends in .co.in, i don't like .com here

Profimail is good, but I don't think it's for JAVA MIDP2 based phones. It's only for symbian & Windows Mobile phones. This G Mail client is JAVA based so it will work everywhere

Kiran_tech_mania said:
Install Free Opera Mini. I am able to surf everything on my K750i, including thinkdigit forum without problems. No settings are required. It's all taken care by Opera Mini. Try it.

Opera mini 3.0 is awsome, with support for SSL & TLS, it has become very good. however, donno why last night i tried surfing my orkut profile using it, logged in fine, but when i wrote a scrap to a friend, it was not delievered:confused: . Oh well.....atleast it does the essential jobs.

Edit: Opera mini 3.0 also supports normal wap sites, i just checkd my Windows Live Mails, using Opera mini & Windows Live mail mobile on mobile.live.com

So far, QuickIM is something I m willing to pay for, I wonder why Yahoo or MS doesn't release a such client for mobile phones based on JAVA

Note : Yahoo Go 2.0 beta is also an extremely good service, however it's not available in India yet, & doesn't support Messenger yet, Seems like Yahoo! might relese a Chat client soon, i mean, they can infact.....just provide one with text & emoticon support, thats all what is needed

It should be an ISO Standerd to use Segoe UI on Mobile phones :D, these current fonts look crap on LCD, Segoe UI with cleartype will rock man

Last edited:
OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
I found an alternative to QuickIM, it's call LiveMSN, same thing as Windows live messenger dektop

K

krazyfrog

Ya pathiks, default mailbox in qd is also working. I used it only for my yahoo account as i don't have gmail account. Only thing is that the default mailbox only shows text from email and not images, unlike ProfiMail which loads the complete mail.

K

krazyfrog

I just entered the settings given by gx_saurav in Messaging>Settings>E-mail>Mailbox in my qd. No setting wizard.

blueshift

Wise Old Crow
I have Airtel connection and w300i mob.

There is no mailbox option. Instead there is username and password for both Incoming and Outgoing servers. Are these the same as my mail address?
Also will I get an SMS alert through this?

K

krazyfrog

blueshift said:
I have Airtel connection and w300i mob.

There is no mailbox option. Instead there is username and password for both Incoming and Outgoing servers. Are these the same as my mail address?
Also will I get an SMS alert through this?
Yes the username and password are the same you use for your e-mail account. After you've entered the setting and connected to your mailbox, your phone will download all your mails in the phone. Later whenever you connect to your mailbox through your phone, it'll update the inbox and will show if there are any new mails. You won't get any sms alerts though.

blueshift

Wise Old Crow
It is not working. It says wrong mailbox username and pswd.
I read somewhere on the net that pop3 account is only for Yahoo Plus users. Is it?

GMail is working fine.

I think Yahoo charges for using their messenger through mobile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom