[Query] WD My Passport Crash with Data loss

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
Hello guys,

Just want to know if this unit can be replaced or not, is still under warranty. its a WD My Passport 1 TB, crashed, unrecoverable, data loss of 857GB. Lucky I have backup of 500GB. What would be the procedure to get it replaced?

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Have you tried contacting WD Customer support? Of course it will be able to replace, just contact the CC.
As far as data loss is concerned ask them is that covered under warranty and if they can try to recover the data or you. My estimate is No.

$hadow

Geek in making
No they won't do the recovery or atleast it was not in my case. Lost about 780 GB data. But yeah they will surely provide replacement for the product.

OP
sam_738844

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
yeah, i found out about it, data is gone from that drive for sure. But i have already backed it up while distributing almost 500GB+ data across friends, they have it, all i need is a working drive, replaced with mine. so I have three options now

1. Go to the shop where i bought it from, hand the dead drive to them , ask them to follow up in accordance with their own policy ( may be a onsite replacement) and protocols
2. If they cross, I will hand them a bunch of documents saying i have 559 days of warranty left, and i have already committed to an RMA, give them the RMa number and details and then ask to take it forward as half the job is done.
3. Very unlikely and worst case, the shop is gone, guys at the shop are stupid or dishonest, denying to do anything, i can do it myself as i know now how to.

OP
sam_738844

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
Successfully RMA'ed the corrupt HDD and they also updated the 1TB passport to 1TB passport ultra also refreshed the warranty to 3 years again (I had only 2 years left). It was a wise decision to do it through the retailer, instead of myself. Done withing 3 days without breaking a sweat. WD rocks :goodjob:

Top Bottom