WD Blue Query

mumble

Broken In
I bought a WD Blue 1 TB 5400 rpm (model WD10EZRZ) hard drive today. My requirement is gaming and not planning to have an SSD.

I actually ordered WD Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 rpm (model WD10EZEZ).

The dealer is telling Caviar Blue is obsolete and not available. Dealer is ready to replace with Seagate 7200 rpm.

Does WD Caviar Blue 7200 rpm vs WD Blue 5400 rpm contribute much difference in gaming and normal read/write functioning.

Both have 64mb cache.

Is it ok to settle with WD Blue 5400 rpm?

nac

Aspiring Novelist
If you received other than what you ordered, sent it back and ask for the one you ordered. If they say it's not available, take your money back and get it from somewhere else.
[MENTION=295989]Lincon_WD[/MENTION] can comment about whether it's discontinued or not.

OP
M

mumble

Broken In
The dealer is ready to pay the money back. Is there performance difference between them?

Caviar 7200 rpm is not locally available, i have to order it online.

Lincon_WD

WD Official
I bought a WD Blue 1 TB 5400 rpm (model WD10EZRZ) hard drive today. My requirement is gaming and not planning to have an SSD.

I actually ordered WD Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 rpm (model WD10EZEZ).

The dealer is telling Caviar Blue is obsolete and not available. Dealer is ready to replace with Seagate 7200 rpm.

Does WD Caviar Blue 7200 rpm vs WD Blue 5400 rpm contribute much difference in gaming and normal read/write functioning.

Both have 64mb cache.

Is it ok to settle with WD Blue 5400 rpm?

Hi mumble,

Here are few things I'd like to notify:

First - the Caviar series are really discontinued for some time now.

Second - gaming relies on the storage's performance solely for the loading times and FPS and graphics are not affected in any way (unless you play MMO/Open World games where the surrounding textures may load faster/smoother but again that won't affect their quality nor the FPS.
Third- the performance difference between the 5,400 and the 7,200 rpm drives should hardly be noticed in gaming as it may result as two - three seconds difference in loading times.

You can check the spec sheets and see the performance differences here:

Support Answer

I'd suggest that try the drive and see how it goes and if you are not happy with it's performance then they can return it and check out the WD10EZEX model from another vendor.

Hope it helps. Keep me posted.

Last edited:
Top Bottom