WD 1TB Ext HDD: File is corrupted or unreadable error

I am having trouble with my Western Digital 1TB External HDD

Few days earlier I got this error "File is either corrupted or unreadable" while creating new folders or copying files in few specific folders of Drive F only.
Drive E was working fine. I ran Disc Scan from Drive properties > Tools > Error checking. Automatically Fix errors was ticked. Scan completed in a minute & all the errors were gone.

Yesterday I copied some games in Drive E & movies in F at my friend's house. When I connected HDD to my own pc, I noticed that few games were missing in E & others were giving the same error. Same was in F, 1 folder was even displayed as a file. I ran Disc Scan on both E & F.
While files in E are accessable but all the files that were copied to F are gone. There is no Found.000 folder in F either.
Before running Scan, I even played 1 newly copied movie in F & it worked fine from start to end. Also apart from this there is no problem with any other files, all files are working properly.
I can live without these movies, no big deal even if they cant be recovered,,All I want to know is how serious is this problem?? Are my other files in danger too??
Is the drive dying again?? (It's only 6-7 months ago when I got this HDD as a replacement)

Pls help,,I tried to google but no problem matches exactly the mine

OSxSnowLeopard

Journeyman
Try running some good anti virus scan. But if it is genuine hard drive problem then connect it to some other pc and backup your data asap. If you want to recover your data from drive then dont put any sort of new data or simply dont touch that partition of your drive(because it will overwrite your old data) and use recovery software or let someone do it for you who used recovery s/w's before. Sometimes hard drives lose its index entries because of many reasons.

P.S: Dont install and run recovery software from same hard drive you want to recover. Connect it to some other computer.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Some sectors of your HDD is damaged. Post a screenshot of your HDd using HDTune or CrystalDiskInfo.
From your post it looks like your HDD is dying a silent death.

Thanx for the replies

Try running some good anti virus scan. But if it is genuine hard drive problem then connect it to some other pc and backup your data asap. If you want to recover your data from drive then dont put any sort of new data or simply dont touch that partition of your drive(because it will overwrite your old data) and use recovery software or let someone do it for you who used recovery s/w's before. Sometimes hard drives lose its index entries because of many reasons.

P.S: Dont install and run recovery software from same hard drive you want to recover. Connect it to some other computer.

I did used recovery soft's before & tried them but scan was showing estimated time of 8hours,,so i will let the data go & I have Avast Free Antivirus, I hope that will be good enough

Some sectors of your HDD is damaged. Post a screenshot of your HDd using HDTune or CrystalDiskInfo.
From your post it looks like your HDD is dying a silent death.

I did a Quick scan using HDTune (Error Scan Tab) it was all green,,now Full scan is in progress,,will post it when finished

Last edited:

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
^^ Hey, I just assumed that, and there is no assurance that what I've predicated is 100% correct all the time (specially without screenshot). So, don't worry.

Top Bottom