Way to reduce Piracy

How can piracy be reduced ?

• B. By making it more secure or hard to break.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • C. By catching those who copy illegaly.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

cooljeba

The Photoshop Guy
Tuxfan i read that article too. Infact piracy is the biggest enemy of linux or other oss.
Anyway what is piracy don't we get the os free with the hardware ;D .
Ok u guys keep taking piracy, piracy.... have u ever tried to use OSS that are equivalent to it's paid counter part
for eg.
photoshop == gimp
winzip === 7zip
MS office == open office
Vc++ == Dev c++
blah blah...
anyway something never expires something does get pirated ;D
Someone said ;) games for RS 75. Hey did u know the indians are not considered as a serious games??? So how can anyone expect a reduce in cost??? and about making it hard to crack well let me tell u that is next to immposible so i chose the option no 1 :).
..:: peace ::..
jeba

ujjwal

Padawan
Nishant said:
its india baby..its india...

if u can get a cd for rs.10.. den also ppl will buy pirated cd for rs.2 heheheheheehhehe

One of the forst words of wisdom I heard Nishant say ;)

BTW, I voted for first option, I believe it will reduce piracy a bit, but not completely remove it.

It_is_Andrew

Broken In
blade_runner worte :
Who dug up this old thread ??
Well! whoever did it , it is always better than starting a new thread on the same topic. :wink: :)

Now coming to the topic: There is a real confusion about softwares & their piracy among common people. still many people don't even aware of that they are using pirated versions of softwares,they take it granted to be provided free with computers by local vendor--- and its true. :wink:

personally I don't think that the software companies r going to decrease the price (for many reasons :D ).But will piracy stop if they actually do it :?: many people here thinks that it would not help much.But I think making the softwares affordable will certainly help-- certainly the pirated ones will always be available at cheapest prices.but buying the original softwares has many other added benefits.someone just have to inform people about that,and good free alternatives should always be provided to those who really can't afford it anyway.

Making the softwares more protected will do no help ,in the long term. Because there r numerous people allover the world who will always comeup with new methods of breaking it invariably sooner or later. :D :lol: :lol:
so I voted for the first one. :D

anidex

Broken In
Reducing prices is only one part of the equation. Obviously developers cannot reduce the prices of their products tenfold. They can reduce it, but only go so low.

The next part of the equation is the Indian mentality, which is slowly changing though. "Why go for something good that costs 100 bucks when you can get something cheaper for 99.99 bucks?"! With that kinda mentality, piracy will never go away.

As godzi_85 said, people are willing to pour 35k on a slick computer but turn away from getting a legal copy of Windows XP, for example. Now this is really sick.

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
It_is_Andrew said:
blade_runner worte :
Who dug up this old thread ??
Well! whoever did it , it is always better than starting a new thread on the same topic. :wink: :)

I know mate but whats the point of discussing a topic that has debated over earlier and buried.

And u know which post revived the topic.
but anyway piracy will be happening
, which is pretty ridiculous in the first place. Neways u guys keep debating i have no probs against that.

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
well i voted 4 a price reduction. c, whatever they do 2 make their products secure, ppl will find a way around it. and it's almost impossible 2 catch every1 who pirates software. piracy wont stop until everything goes open source. but reducing prices will help.

tuxfan

Technomancer
We have forgotten one option here. How about a strong anti-piracy drive by the concerned departments of the governemt? A fear factor would surely cure most of the problem (if at all piacy can be called a problem in India ;))

firewall

In the zone
well, software companies may try "Dual Licensning". like mySQL AB and other company is doing. they have released theit product such a way that if you use it for non comercial way, u r free to use it without paying a single buck. but if you wish to use it commercially u have to purchase that software.

:)

tuxfan

Technomancer
In that case, all the users will keep saying that they use it for non-commercial purpose. Only a survey/raid at the place of use can reveal the real use. :roll:

Wizard

Journeyman
Guys....My Vote is obvious

By making it more secure or hard to break.

Coz

Jus Imagine...we get a CD for Rs 13...only cd...whereas we also get the same cd in a box for Rs 30

we prefer...?? the Rs 13 cd..so its jus this thing which comes in...even if its Re 1 cheaper we go for that...:)

So the only POSSIBLE SOLUTION IN THE MARKET POINT OF VIEW IS TO MAKE CDS WHICH CANNOT BE COPIED....

OTHERWISE BAN CD WRITERS

Deep

Version 2.0
hmm make cds which cannot be copied..
well it wont be possible..and if anyone does then there will be crack for that also..

make things free for home users or may be keep rates low so that users can buy it..

if they cant buy it then keep option which allows to rent the OS from MS i.e. buy licence for 1 yr at around 500 rs or something..

i am dead sure many people will go for it..

you can stop piracy by banning anything..you have to make things more flexible.. :)

Deep

Wizard

Journeyman
Yea Deep ...totally agree with ya...but this Rs 500 subscription should come out with somethin like Free Updates and service packs for the Subscibers...even books can be given...Jus to make sure they goto this plan

But since Cracks are easily available , there will be people who still prefer getting a pirated OS and installing .

So wht i want to convey is that ... the MS or any Firm should adopt certain ways and make the people come on their side

Whts the Point selliing Adobe Products for 30 K each ...when we can get the entire adobe set for Rs 30 ...;)

And for ur last option in Poll , No chance they can start that,,,may be in shops...but for Home PC's no way...if someone of tht sort raids ur house , wouldnt I know that ??

Gaurav

In the zone
Reducing the price is not gonna help much but making it more secure will. Let the hackers know where they stand.

Deep

Version 2.0
actually adobe and all are for doing b'ness
making money..

i know its slightly high price but its like paisa wasool thing..

and people like adobe and all dont care about the home users or small companies..

they know that 90% of the big companies buy their softwares and that what they want..

they are earnling a lot in that and at the same time they are giving something worth 30K..

yes crack and all will be there all the time but think like that..
currently xp pr is 7500rs and its damn costly and everyone knows that almost evrery year new OS releses so ppl think why to pay 7500 rs for 1 or 2 yrs..so ppl search for pirated versions than buying the copy..

but if it was like 1000 rs for a yr then less people will go for pirated versions..

piracy cant be stopped totally but it can be reduced this way..

and making more secure thing is like ongoing process..new loopholes are gonna come every other day.. so i think reduce the price will lower the piracy..

Deep

OP
G

gxsaurav

Go here *sauravx.joeuser.com/ My blog about Piracy in Asia

medpal

Medic on Call!!
only way of reducing piracy is reducing the prices.
that is the only way by which we can make people buy the original softwares.

i also suggest they should allow 2/3 simultaneous installations so that students can afford it together. who uses all the softwares all the time.

like adobe @ 5000 and 2 installations will make it affordable for the designing students and thats damn cheap if you are a professional in that field. and os prices should be kep[t minimum possible i would suggest 1500-2000 range for outright purchase for home and 3000-3500 for professional version.

tuxfan

Technomancer
Nice blog gxsaurav. However, I do not agree somewhat. Linux is free. Or if you want CDs, it is available for a very low price - about Rs. 100. But how many are actually using it? It is as good as windows, if not better. Only thing is that for people who are used to windows, it takes time to familiarise.

Cost is not the only deciding factor. Here if the official version is available for Rs. 600 and an unofficial for Rs. 500, majority of people will go for the latter even is they can afford both.

Price reduction is not the only thing. A strong drive again piracy will be very effective. Micro$oft can be strong against pirates. Why is it not doing so? Because it fears that people will then go for Linux.

techie_it

Broken In
dude...
will u buy some S/W frm the market..when u can get the same stuff @ much lesser price...rite outside the same shop from where u buy the S/W ...huh???will you???its INDIA...BUDDY.........
KEep :D

Deep

Version 2.0
tuxfan said:
Cost is not the only deciding factor. Here if the official version is available for Rs. 600 and an unofficial for Rs. 500, majority of people will go for the latter even is they can afford both.

Price reduction is not the only thing. A strong drive again piracy will be very effective. Micro$oft can be strong against pirates. Why is it not doing so? Because it fears that people will then go for Linux.

actually i wont agree here..
if you reduce the price piracy can be reduced but it cant be like 0%

see there is a logic..

xp is 7500rs - 2 guys out of 100 buy it.
xp lincense is 1000 rs a yr - 20 guys out of 100 will go for it..

so they get new 18 people after reducing the price..
so that way they can reduce the piracy..

see there will be people who are not intersted in spending penny on any software but at the same time there are many people who wants to go for legal softwares but price is killing them..

and after this software companies can be strict againts the one who use pirated software..like blocking updates and all..

Deep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom