Way to reduce Piracy

How can piracy be reduced ?

• B. By making it more secure or hard to break.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • C. By catching those who copy illegaly.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

Hi everybody,
I was just thinking how to stop piracy. The first question is why do you want to get a pirated copy? It is because they are costly and we just want to have it. I think the price of the software has to be reduced if many are buying it. The advantage will be the software company can know how many are selling and try to make it better and better.

You know we have now indian edition books which are affordable. This has really changed the whole thing of xeroxing the books. Now people buy them. Donot you think it will be the same with the software. They should give a good manual with the software and many other things like online updates or they give the updates for free from the shop, and discount on other software if you become a member.

Many of us play games and we need a full version to enjoy it to a maximum extent. Make the price of popular games to something like Rs 75 or even less.

Just imagine if there are 10 people who want to play a similar game and it cost around Rs 400. So people will try to get it from somewhere. Now reduce the cost of it to say Rs 75, I think all the people will buy it. So it is Rs 750, and the game company can keep a count of number of players ( advantage to them ). I think reducing the price of the softwares will bring down piracy and the company can get a profit and can estimate correctly the number of users.

I think the price of each song should go from Rs 1 - max of Rs 10. The songs should be of high quality, so that people buy it.

I know many people have the software in their machine even though they do not require it because they think that it will be difficult for them get it later and keep lots ! of junks in their machine. They hardly know how to use it. The tension of getting the software should be nill. He should be able to get it when he needs it from the market at affordable price.

I was just thinking if Digit could do something about this. Like it can have a sub site where you have different softwares listed and people can say that they want to purchase the software. Then Digit can approach the particular software company and ask for a reduced price and say look here so many want to buy it. They are ready to purchace the licence copy if it is made affordable, and want to reduce piracy.

Software people are trying to make it more secure. But still people bresk it. There is no need for such high secure stuff when people can buy it.

I would like to know what you Digit and other people think on this idea.
It will be great to know each person's view. If they have good suggestion please write back.

Make life simple..

--venkatesh

sAr

Broken In
hi venky
just wanted to say that the Rs. 75 legal game cds are not gonna happen. so is the same with other softwares. n personally, i believe in open source, so try using as many freewares as possible and if u 'HAVE' to use some pro tools, there's no better option than pirated ones(unless u got some money tree cause even smaller softwares like Winzip cost around 40 dollors => ~ ~ Rs. 1900). so go open source, n don't worry bout big corporates losing money.(imagine saying i won't use that pirated windows cause then microsoft will loose 3500 bucks, ha!) :twisted:

Nishant

Broken In
its india baby..its india...

if u can get a cd for rs.10.. den also ppl will buy pirated cd for rs.2 heheheheheehhehe

svenkat83

Journeyman
The third option is the one of the way out.
Sumeet's idea is nice.That may be the only other way.
By the by I just want to know who R the people who sincerely want the piracy to stop.
Surely I don't belong to category.
Even if they reduce it to a mere Rs.200 will people buy?
I don't think so if an free pirated version is available.
That's what is happening to Music industry.We don't buy ACDs that cost mere Rs.95 instead we share it. I'm really sorry if U buy ACDs.
Eventhough one must feel sorry for them ,Its their fate or may be curse.

billboardhunk

Right off the assembly line
Legalise Piracy

Have you guys thought of another option Legalising Piracy... In Netherlands and Canada, you can legally buy Marijuana.... In certain Far east countries Prostitution has been legalised.... so why not legalise Piracy in a country like India....

billboardhunk

Right off the assembly line
Legalise Piracy

Have you guys thought of another option Legalising Piracy... In Netherlands and Canada, you can legally buy Marijuana.... In certain Far east countries Prostitution has been legalised.... so why not legalise Piracy in a country like India....

BONZI

Journeyman
Reducing the price may help a lot than the other Ideas. No one actually likes to be underground. If you get it cheaply then most of the ppl will buy the original cds

super_ferrari

Broken In
Nishant said:
its india baby..its india...

if u can get a cd for rs.10.. den also ppl will buy pirated cd for rs.2 heheheheheehhehe

u r right...but this tendency is to be seen all over da world...so do'nt brand indians of being kanjoos

Piracy is everywhere dude...not only in india...majority of the crackers are russians, germans and offcourse da americans dem selves...

yeah venky i agree vth u ...reducing da price will help da sales of software companies...cause something is better den nothing....actually i agree to sajal who adviced me to buy legal Visual Basic...but da problem is sajal dat if i do buy dat legal CD....just assume okay can't afford it....den my very close friend will ask for it....den his friend will ask for it and it will go on n on n on....cause not everyone is like u... including me to be frank :wink:

abdulabby

Broken In
u dont get open source games , do we, huh??
Did u know that microsoft's got a 85% margin on its windows product??Now taht is too much of exploiting.

TheMask

@ TechEnclave
Pretty late to be replying here....

venkatesh said:
I was just thinking if Digit could do something about this. Like it can have a sub site where you have different softwares listed and people can say that they want to purchase the software. Then Digit can approach the particular software company and ask for a reduced price and say look here so many want to buy it. They are ready to purchace the licence copy if it is made affordable, and want to reduce piracy.

Why would Digit, or anyone for that matter do that? This will be more of a "free service" for the betterment of the community. But, do u think Digit, or anyone else, has the time and money for such thing? I think not! I am saying this b'coz there is no returns to gain from it, so why would anyone bother. May be what we need here is a non-profit NGO.

venkatesh said:
They are ready to purchace the licence copy if it is made affordable...

Lets assume for a moment that Digit actually takes up ur novel idea and approaches Microsoft... U know what will happen? Microsoft will most likely be very diplomatic and say "We are a global player, so we will have the prices of our software same through out the world."

Think i am kidding? thats what MS told Thai officials a few days back.

The Thai Govt came up with a Grand scheme in which about a million computers were to be sold at subsidised prices to generate and propagate computer literacy among its citizens. For this The Thai Govt approached MS for subsidised OS price. But, Microsoft refused to budge from its "policy" of maintaining the price equality everywhere. So, instead, Thai Govt decided to go ahead with Linux. Then, MS learnt about this news and actually offered thier OS at about 85% discount!!! can u believe that? Anyways, Thai Govt decided to stick with the Linux platform. Way to go!

SO the bottom line is - Even if Digit or someone gets things organised and then approaches the software giants, would they really appreciate this novel idea and do something about it? i guess not!

tuxfan

Technomancer
Howsoever low be the price, as long as it is not free, people will try to get a pirated free copy :roll: So I voted for the second option of making it more secure. :)

godzi_85

In the zone
if piracy was`nt there... i don`t think computer would have become such huge part our lives at least for now....
which suker does`nt get a pc assembled for 35k and then goes and buys a pirated copy of win xp!! sometimes the pc guys give it for free!!
now a days you`re getting a pc for around 13k!! and consider this you want to buy win xp(original) costs a bomb 3500!!!
get a pirated one.. get pirated games....get pirated software... i wonder if we `ll start getting pirated hardware!!! or something like that...

tuxfan

Technomancer
There is a lovely article in the July issue of Linux For You. It says "Enemy of my enemy is not my friend". The writer gives a lovely narration of how piracy hurts both the Proprietory software and the OSS software.

In a nutshell, if piracy would have been more difficult, there would have been many more people using Linux. So because of piracy, microsoft loses revenue and linux loses users adapting it. How true!!

So all assembled PCs would have carried Linux and it would have become more and more popular. This precisely is the reason why microsoft is not being too aggresive against individual users who don't pay for Windows :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom