Watches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Seen a few posts with interest in watches lately, so time is ripe for a dedicated watch discussion thread. One is long overdue for this forum anyway.

Posting a list of safe choices, this is just a starting point, we can take it from here.

First 5K-25k, at this range quartz is the only option, analog watches at this budget are few. we can go on to bigger budgets in later posts

Titan Edge
*i.imgur.com/VILwRkv.jpg
Incredibly thin, if not the thinnest ever. Light to wear. Classic designs, although some are edgy and for fastrack generation sensibilities (that means not the timeless, classic designs).

Casio Edifice
*i.imgur.com/hgGj25J.jpg
loud, masculine and big. Enticing prices.

Casio G-Shock
*i.imgur.com/GMTxoes.jpg
the only digital watch that has a reputation. If going for a digital, this should be the only choice. Meant for large hands only, so runts stay away.

Seiko 5
*i.imgur.com/HdEIamc.jpg
Automatic! affordable alternatives. Nub watch "connoisseurs" may scoff at Japanese watches and say they are not in the same league as the Swiss, or even that only the Swiss watches are any good, but Japanese mechanisms are a great alternative to Swiss and Seiko really gives bang for buck.

Tissot PRC
*i.imgur.com/0hfiuSs.jpg
Sport watches from the official timekeepers of many internation sporting tournaments. The watches are designed to be able to read quickly at a glance.

Citizen Eco Drive
*i.imgur.com/CZ162xh.jpg
Is this a real perpetual motion machine? Almost. Powered by light, cells on dial. Some of the watches keep perfect time by syncing with shortwave radio time code broadcasts.

Kenneth Cole
*i.imgur.com/KMQTpNE.jpg
Fashion brand, good looking skeleton designs.

Holding list - Also good, if anyone can write up on these would be great

Casio Beside
Sunnoto
Skagen
Seiko Diver
Seiko Classic
Titan Orion
Timex Expidition
Victorinox
Citizen Classic
Casio Pathfinder

Now little glimpse of what going ahead may be like. Good pieces are Citizen, Zenith, Omega and Universal for enthusiasts starting out
At the other end of the spectrum, the very best ones are Audemars Piguet, Patek Philippe, Vacheron Constantin, A. Lange and Sohne and most importantly Jaeger-LeCoultre, which has contributed technology to the others

stuff to read

Sidin Vadukut's columns on timepieces in Mint. Some of it makes it to Livemint - Leisure - Indulge

Watch Snob - AskMen - funny and rude, the authority on watches

HODINKEE - Wristwatch News, Reviews, & Original Stories - features great interviews with collectors, very detailed and informative posts

Fun fact : why watches have jewels inside? the stones prevent wear and tear of the mechanism.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I will probably get banned for this, but you have to understand in today's time, a watch is expected to do more than just tell time. And hence, the Moto 360. I can't get over it, how good it looks!

*i.minus.com/iZo1usBWeDzmT.png

OP
Anorion

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
^lol Vyom. The trouble with Smart-watches is that they are incipient technology, so they are bulky, expensive, and don't do nearly as much as they could yet, because we are still figuring that bit out. They are all set to get muuch better though.

some unique and off beat pieces

Tokyoflash Infection
*i.imgur.com/wXkAK8f.jpg
This is infection, the company has some of the craziest ways to tell time. Each device has a unique face.

HYT H1
*i.imgur.com/71YxqDv.jpg
Hydro Mechanical watch, the only watchmaking company to combine small pistons and a movement together to end up telling time with a fluid

Konstantin Chaykin Cinema
*i.imgur.com/qgZrh56.png
Russian watchmakers who include unlikely complications on their watches. This one is a homage to cinema and shows the first ever footage shot (the horse running), on a disc at the bottom. This disc can be replaced to display a short clip of your choice. They have one that is embedded with Islamic calender, and the Levitas is magical because most of the mechanism is fit in one side of the watch, creating the illusion of the hands floating in air. The sapphire crystal itself is used to transfer the energy.

Devon Tread 1
*i.imgur.com/8ANziAK.jpg
Watch driven with an electrical motor

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Casio G-Shock
*i.imgur.com/GMTxoes.jpg
the only digital watch that has a reputation. If going for a digital, this should be the only choice. Meant for large hands only, so runts stay away.

*encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRuNWJ9eedEpBHOQoFznumBEvbw34a4bcuWbzRZYCQiNB7YMLfH658vzQ

I used to have one :| and I hated it
I dont wear watches anymore ? do you people wear watches ?

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I dont wear watches anymore ? do you people wear watches ?

Nope. I use to wear watch before when I was in school, and maybe when I was in college. I had a casio digital watch. But later I bought some non digital watch, the brand I don't remember. Since I started carrying an Android phone, I stopped wearing watches.
But I think this is going to change with Moto 360. I am excited that I would be able to change the look of the phone (convert it from digital to non digital) on the fly.

I know, Moto 360 will never even be appreciated by those who love the clockwork and who love the thousands of parts and gears that makes up a clock, still I think a device which let me do more things would be a good purchase.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
I too think a smartwatch is an excellent device but the only thing thats dissapointing is battery life..
Charging a watch everyday doesnt feel good

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Jeez! Why people who don't wear watches (why you wear a good shoe then? Wear those Bata chappals, or don't buy a Jag, get a Tata Nano!) have any interest about this topic anyway?
[MENTION=56202]Anorion[/MENTION] : Please let this topic clean for actual watches and create another for those stupid toys, or close this topic.

By the way, I don't think Casio will manufacture any watches with Pathfinder name any more, it will all be Pro Trek from now.

Last edited:

abhidev

Human Spambot
I too used to wear good branded watches...but when i lost a few due to daily train travels I stopped caring about the brand and costly watches...now all that matters to me is that it tells the correct time :/

OP
Anorion

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
By the way, I don't think Casio will manufacture any watches with Pathfinder name any more, it will all be Pro Trek from now.

oh didn't know that.

I know, Moto 360 will never even be appreciated by those who love the clockwork and who love the thousands of parts and gears that makes up a clock, still I think a device which let me do more things would be a good purchase.

there are watches that do more, they are called complications.

- - - Updated - - -

[YOUTUBE]aeu6Vj3M0EI[/YOUTUBE]

John Mayer.. some gems
"I clean up dog poo, wearing a Patek"
"They were the iPhone 5 of their day"
"GMT is one of the world's greatest apps"
"People were crawling through the mud, wearing that watch"

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
I have Edifice and G-Shock both.
Edifice is for formal occasions and G-Shock for day to day use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom