Warning: Virus Found In Jdk 1.6.0_05

Status
Not open for further replies.

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
This is to inform all of you that if you have installed
Code:
jdk-1.6.0_05-ea
RPM package for JAVA RUNTIME ENVIRONMENT OR JAVA DEVELOPMENT KIT ; a file in this package contains a virus. The file is

Code:
/opt/sun/javadb/demo/databases/toursdb.jar: Oversized.Zip FOUND

I scanned my system using
Code:
clamav-0.91.2-31.fc7
(it is the latest) with db updated on 28/11/2007.

I recommend you to scan your system using ClamAV .

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
1. You should NEVER use the RPM file to install java! Use the bin file :)
2. As the description says, its NOT a virus, just a BIG zip file :)

OP
nileshgr

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
kalpik said:
1. You should NEVER use the RPM file to install java! Use the bin file :)
2. As the description says, its NOT a virus, just a BIG zip file :)
I used the bin file only. :)

[java_name].rpm.bin

cool_techie_tvm

Ambassador of Buzz
Slightly offtopic, is it necessary to install an AV in a linux environment? I am using Firestarter. I read in ubuntu forums that it is unnecessary to install AV in ubuntu.

praka123

left this forum longback
Yes.total waste of ur processor power.read below article:
Note to new Linux users: No antivirus needed
*www.linux.com/articles/60208

rocket357

Security freak
AV has uses on UNIX....namely if you're using a *nix system as an HAVP proxy to protect Windoze systems, or you're using the *nix system as a mail transfer agent, or you're using it as an SMB share that Windows boxen will upload/download files from, etc... But protecting the UNIX box itself? haha...yeah AV is pretty useless there.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
cool_techie_tvm said:
Slightly offtopic, is it necessary to install an AV in a linux environment? I am using Firestarter. I read in ubuntu forums that it is unnecessary to install AV in ubuntu.
You don't need one unless you are The Unknown.
We've explained him so much as to why it's stupid to run AV on his machines and all those stupid false positives but well some people don't learn.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
cool_techie_tvm said:
Er, Firestarter is a Firewall program, NOT an anti-virus.

praka123

left this forum longback
yes.it is good to have FW enabled.By default Ubuntu,Debian etc blocks ports.
and dont go for this firestarter gui.go for "lokkit" script.apt-get install lokkit and then in a terminal while ur system is connected to internet,run "lokkit" and just press OK.also make sure the option "High" is selected :) it protects!and for torrent clients who wants random port to be opened for tcp/udp connxn,run lokkit and select custom option and enter the port number for eg:51486 to open it.u can edit the rules in /etc/default/lokkit.
lokkit is enabled in default RH,Fedora distros.a easy one :) u dont need firestarter gui all to do this.

cool_techie_tvm

Ambassador of Buzz
QwertyManiac said:
Er, Firestarter is a Firewall program, NOT an anti-virus.
Ha ha. I know yaar, that firestarter is a firewall. According to ubuntu forums, we need to run only the firewall, no separate AVs. Thats what i was speaking of.. :)

praka123 said:
yes.it is good to have FW enabled.By default Ubuntu,Debian etc blocks ports.
and dont go for this firestarter gui.go for "lokkit" script.apt-get install lokkit and then in a terminal while ur system is connected to internet,run "lokkit" and just press OK.also make sure the option "High" is selected :) it protects!and for torrent clients who wants random port to be opened for tcp/udp connxn,run lokkit and select custom option and enter the port number for eg:51486 to open it.u can edit the rules in /etc/default/lokkit.
lokkit is enabled in default RH,Fedora distros.a easy one :) u dont need firestarter gui all to do this.
I am using firestarter as mentioned in *ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=542756&highlight=firestarter

Would that suffice?

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
Ofcorz firestarter is more than enough.but lokkit makes u leave the thoughts about FW once it is configured :) while firestarter is there always eating ur resources as it is a gui program.nevertheless it suffice the needs for many users.it is all ur wish which one to use from easy lokkit to shorewall FW config utility.and u may be knowing these all are scripts for controlling netfilter iptables,the FW in GNU/Linux.
Yes,cooltechietvm,u dont need any AV for Linux.u may have already read:
Note to new Linux users: No antivirus needed.
*www.linux.com/articles/60208
also never login as root.use terminal and "su" for root access.if u want to start any gui apps from terminal use a X credentials wrapper called "sux".thus instead of "su" use "sux" and start any app.this is esp useful in konsole which prevents gui programs launched from it :)

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Hey i use firestarter to enable ICS in gutsy.

Is there any good tutorial to do it manually at the system startup using IPTABLES.

I really dont want any other 3rd party software, I tried IP Masquerading but didnt get it working well with the client computer running win-xp.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Firestarter doesn't keep running praka123, its just a small tool to apply iptable policies and save them. Doesn't require to be running actively all the time.

praka123

left this forum longback
^yeah,i hardly used it!but i remember tray applet which launches firestarter GUI when pressed!I know that these are all iptables config tools

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
It shows the tray icon, yeah. But its not necessary to run the program all the time! Am just defending it from that point of yours. Its a nice GUI frontend. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom