Warning: Virus Found In Jdk 1.6.0_05

Status
Not open for further replies.

praka123

left this forum longback
^firestarter gui does show some useful things like who(IP's) are trying to probe ur lin box i remember!

cool_techie_tvm

Ambassador of Buzz
The link which i had posted (*ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=542756&highlight=firestarter) enables firestarter to be enabled automatically on bootup.

praka123

left this forum longback
yeah,the link may be explaining to add firestarter command to gnome-session-properties>startup manager to start hence taking more time and panel freezes for few seconds in low memory machines :D

well,i saw the link,yeah he did it via editing!wise :)

OP
nileshgr

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
mehulved said:
You don't need one unless you are The Unknown.
We've explained him so much as to why it's stupid to run AV on his machines and all those stupid false positives but well some people don't learn.
I am running a server for two sites. So if the guy with the other site puts malicious file, then it is not going to affect me but the viewer and hence my IP will be captured.

I AM NOT A FOOL. I KNOW THAT LINUX DOES NOT REQUIRE AV. I MENTIONED YOU THE CASE WHY I INSTALLED IT. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Leave the running an AV part. Consider this stupid thread. You still would be called the same. Sun infecting their archives, You recommending us to run Clam AV, all are --> :lol:

rocket357

Security freak
Politics and name-calling aside, there are instances where running AV on UNIX is the preferred technique for protecting Windows machines. It's been stated quite a few times in this thread (and countless others), but I'll state it once more:
everyone said:
Windows was designed to allow others to run code on your machine...Linux was NOT designed that way!
This is the root cause of the need for AV on Windows. Plain and simple. (If you've never messed with writing code to control a Windows box (mouse and keyboard), I recommend you try it...then try porting your program to Linux... see what I mean?). It's fairly easy to control many aspects of a Windows machine (keyboard and mouse are just visual ones...there are many others), but accomplishing the same on Linux is quite a bit tougher. Linux doesn't take well to auto-run code and the like, but that doesn't make it *secure*. Linux users still need to be aware of rootkits and trojans.

No, running AV to protect a *nix box isn't recommended...but if you're the paranoid type, check out chkrootkit and rkhunter (programs to hunt down rootkits on UNIX machines). You'll get a LOT more good out of those two than (insert your favorite UNIX AV).

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
The Unknown said:
I am running a server for two sites. So if the guy with the other site puts malicious file, then it is not going to affect me but the viewer and hence my IP will be captured.

I AM NOT A FOOL. I KNOW THAT LINUX DOES NOT REQUIRE AV. I MENTIONED YOU THE CASE WHY I INSTALLED IT. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Pwned:lol::lol:

OP
nileshgr

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
OK OK I WAS WRONG ABOUT THE FILE NAME.

The filename is

Code:
jdk-6u5-ea-bin-b05-linux-i586-16_oct_2007-rpm.bin

I thought it was

Code:
jdk-6u5-ea-bin-b05-linux-i586-16_oct_2007.rpm.bin

Now what you have to say praka123 and kalpik ?

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Just realised one thing! Where did you get 6u5? The latest is 6u3! Download from here: *java.sun.com/javase/downloads/?intcmp=1281

The filename is: jdk-6u3-linux-i586.bin as i said, you downloaded the RPM version whose filename is jdk-6u3-linux-i586-rpm.bin

The direct link to the file is: *192.18.108.216/ECom/EComTicketServ...-JPR/jdk-6u3-oth-JPR:4/jdk-6u3-linux-i586.bin

praka123

left this forum longback
well,how he got that version 6u5 :?

propagandas by disgruntled AV companies esp Kaspersky FUD about *NIX needing AV's :lol:
even rkhunter et al will not help finding yet to find custom rootkits!.

OP
nileshgr

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
Thanks guys.

i got 6u5 from a site which has something about Tomcat JSP parser. i was trying that but i got bored out. So left it.

:)

but 6u5 download URL was something related to SUN (don't remember).

rocket357

Security freak
praka123 said:
even rkhunter et al will not help finding yet to find custom rootkits!.
Indeed...but it's much better at finding new rootkits than your typical user =) Point taken, though...rkhunter and the like can use heuristics to look for rootkit-like activity (hiding seemingly harmless files, etc...), but custom/bleeding edge stuff will always be a step ahead given the nature of the game.

And just as a side note, if you piss off the wrong person (i.e. one capable of writing a custom rootkit and exploiting your machine to install it), no amount of software is going to help... heh

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom