Want a cool distro for multimedia use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
╬Switch╬

╬Switch╬

In the zone
Maverick340 said:
Linux Mint aient too good in my opinion. Ubuntu is the best option - h\its not ready made. Linux dosent come ready made , you have to tailor it to your needs. Try slackware distros , Slax is one such but its only live.
Does Slackware have KDE or Gnome?
I wouild prefre KDE!
Thanks!

~Phenom~ said:
wait few days(just a week) and there will be Ubuntu Feisty Fawn 7.04. It is aimed at multimedia and eyecandy.
Any place I can check it out right now like anyt website?

shri75 said:
for multimedia definately you should try dream linux 2.2 multimedia edition,its reeally cool.
Ya and its just like Mac
*www.dreamlinux.com.br/english/saiba-multimedia.html
Thanks for the find!!

I think il get myself sabayon just fro the aero effect!!:D

Last edited:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
╬Switch╬ said:
Does Slackware have KDE or Gnome?
I wouild prefre KDE!
Thanks!
He told you to use slackware based distro but IMO they're quite outdated, not for average home users. It's for low end PC's and for those who need a stable distro. BTW, official slackware carries only KDE.
╬Switch╬ said:
I think il get myself sabayon just fro the aero effect!!:D
That's either XGL/AIGLX, which has many more effects than Aero does. Well useful or not is your take. Well for one scale is a really nice thing, it's the equivalent of expose in Mac.

OP
╬Switch╬

╬Switch╬

In the zone
tech_your_future said:
That's either XGL/AIGLX, which has many more effects than Aero does. Well useful or not is your take. Well for one scale is a really nice thing, it's the equivalent of expose in Mac.
Just as I said at the beginning I needed a distro for the eyecandy and multimedia. So all I need it for is to play my mp3s and DVDs nothing else. The labour work can be left for Windows.

saurabh.sauron

Ambassador of Buzz
using sabayon right now and it's COOL. i dont mean the out of the box working, but it's look and feel is really good. being based on gentoo, it's quite customizable and powerful.

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
You can try Debian too.. Only the win32codecs need to be installed.. Others work out of the box .. Sabayon is nice but too much software.. Try the mini edition..

vish786

"The Gentleman"
╬Switch╬ said:
Guys can anyone suggest me a good distro with lots of eyecandy and something that will also play me my DVDs and my music.
(Actually all I need is to play my media files and some browsing. The eyecandy is to so my Win loving friends the coolness of Linux.)
Thanks!!

Mandriva is best for home users especially for multimedia purpose 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom