Waiting for a job offer...Confused about how to proceed

webgenius

Ambassador of Buzz
Hi guys,

I was interviewed by a major product based company on Sep 5. Everything in the interview went really well. I could answer most of the questions, and I completed the HR round too. HR told me that I can expect a positive response by end of next week (Sep 14th). I even remember the HR mentioning that he'll roll out the offer. But till now I have not received the offer from them.

I followed up with the lady who setup my interview on Sep 13th. She told I can get an update on 14th or by mid of next week (19th) since HR approval was pending.

There was no update and so I called her up again on 17th. She said that the tech panel has delayed giving the feedback. She clearly mentioned that I'll get the offer by week end (22nd) after HR approval.

But last week too there was no update. So I called her up again on 22nd evening. This time she told that she is also expecting response from HR, and I might get the offer by mid of this week (26th Wednesday).

I'm totally confused now. I'm not sure what to make of this. This is the company that I really like to work for, and have kept a lot of hope on this.
What do you guys think? Are these guys just playing around, or do I really stand a chance here? What should I do if I don't hear anything by 26th also?

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
^^ Wait for 2 more days. Then talk to the HR again. Whatever they say, just say OK and wait till they call you. Don't rush too much. If they want you, they will take you. Plain simple.

OP
webgenius

webgenius

Ambassador of Buzz
^^ Wait for 2 more days. Then talk to the HR again. Whatever they say, just say OK and wait till they call you. Don't rush too much. If they want you, they will take you. Plain simple.

I have 2 more offers in hand, but I do not want to join them.

Next time when I call the HR on Wednesday, shall I ask her: "I have 2 more offers in hand and I need to take a decision. So could you please check the current status and let me know when I can expect the offer" ?

One friend was made an offer in 5 working days, another in 8 working days. In my case, today is 11th working day already!

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness

Next time when I call the HR on Wednesday, shall I ask her: "I have 2 more offers in hand and I need to take a decision. So could you please check the current status and let me know when I can expect the offer" ?

Yes, you can. But be polite.

One friend was made an offer in 5 working days, another in 8 working days. In my case, today is 11th working day already!
It can happen.

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
webgenius said:

My exact choice of words should i wish to say bye bye to the company forever !!!

axes2t2

I am a cat

Don't do that.But look into your other two offers.

May I ask what is so special about the current company you are trying for ?

OP
webgenius

webgenius

Ambassador of Buzz
Don't do that.But look into your other two offers.

May I ask what is so special about the current company you are trying for ?

I cannot consider the two offers that I currently have. Both have offered the same package, and the company from which I'm expecting an offer would also be offering almost the same package (might be a bit high also).

One offer is from a services startup. Position offered is Tech Lead. Even if I do join there, I'll have to come out of it soon since it does not have good presence and I want to settle down in a reputed company now.

The second offer is from a major Japan based company in Chennai. This company used to get the core software done by 3rd parties till now as they did not have the right talent. They are expecting me to join there, help them form a new team, and it requires me to travel to Japan few times. I cannot take up this offer since I'm not willing to relocate to Chennai.

The company from which I'm expecting the offer is a huge product based company, and it is number 1 from few years in the product that it sells. Also it has a good brand name, good global presence, good bonuses, regular onsite trips, no firing till date even during recession. In short, this is the kind of company in which I can settle down.

Kl@w-24

Slideshow Bob
No. I have not resigned from my current organization.

Well, then. Don't worry, be patient and they'll send you the offer. Neither of us are aware of the internal workings of that company so it's best not to speculate. Such things usually don't have a standard time-frame for completion.
Besides, you've got two other offers that you're not too hot about. It's not as if you've got something to lose if you wait too long on this one. Just adopt a patient approach and it will all fall into place. :)

OP
webgenius

webgenius

Ambassador of Buzz
Well, then. Don't worry, be patient and they'll send you the offer. Neither of us are aware of the internal workings of that company so it's best not to speculate. Such things usually don't have a standard time-frame for completion.
Besides, you've got two other offers that you're not too hot about. It's not as if you've got something to lose if you wait too long on this one. Just adopt a patient approach and it will all fall into place. :)

How long do you suggest that I wait?

Kl@w-24

Slideshow Bob
^ The 26th, like you mentioned in the first post. But in case they still don't make an offer, would you be willing to consider accepting one of the other two offers?

OP
webgenius

webgenius

Ambassador of Buzz
^ The 26th, like you mentioned in the first post. But in case they still don't make an offer, would you be willing to consider accepting one of the other two offers?

In case they do not make an offer, I'll have to start the job search again. I'm not willing to take up the other two offers.
I have put a lot of effort for close to 4 months to get this offer, and starting over is a big pain in the A$$.

I'm not sure why these guys are delaying so much. AFAIK this company recruits a hell lot of engineers and everyone tells that people get offer once they clear the tech round. HR round is just a formality.

Flash

Lost in speed
I think the HR lady who setup your interview is just a middle-man. She will know the update, only when she gets the update from management.
If you know anyone apart from HR (like your interviewer) , talk to them asking for a update.

I hope this is not a part of stress-interview-round!

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
this kind of issues do happen. its majorly HR's fault not to keep the candidate in loop. they keep blaming technical team and "waiting for feedback".

Shoot a mail to her stating that you had a lot of time,effort and energy put into clearing the interview, also state that the delaying in official communication questions the professionalism and credibility and for that matter of fact the trust of the company to a new hire. - this should make her respond immediately.

This is the company that I really like to work for, and have kept a lot of hope on this.

never get such hopes. you should get the better of a company .. not the other way round. Keep hope when you are starting your own company.. I said it harshly but its the truth, and I had to go through it the hard way.

abhidev

Human Spambot
have patience...do not rush things...it might be that they are having other candidates lined up for the same position.

OP
webgenius

webgenius

Ambassador of Buzz
I asked a friend of mine to check the status. She was told that they'll roll out the offer this week, and it is getting delayed due to a new manager.

Earlier when I had enquired a week back, I was told that the delay is because the tech panel had given the feedback late, and pending HR approval. Now the reason is that a new manager has come.

I'm not sure how long I need to wait for this. Every minute is like an hour.

Top Bottom