Visual Studio 2008 Express Editions - Now Available !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
Guys , the latest edition of MS's FREE IDE is out .

*www.microsoft.com/express/images/download/VSE_DL_CS_Header.jpg*www.microsoft.com/express/images/download/VSE_DL_WebDev_Header.jpg
*www.microsoft.com/express/images/download/VSE_DL_Basic_Header.jpg*www.microsoft.com/express/images/download/VSE_DL_CPP_Header.jpg

Get the All-In-One DVD ISO Here :

*go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=104679

Or Download The Individual Editions Here:

*www.microsoft.com/express/download/

Last edited:

damnthenet

Journeyman
I couldn't install the VS express provided in OCT digit.....It seems there r lot of issues
Will this install without probs????

Yeh dude, downlading the ISO now. BTW, its a 895 MB in size, is there a way i can compress it to write on a cd? i mean is there a software that i can use to create a compressed,mountable cd image?

clmlbx

Technomancer
^^ You Can Use 900 Mb Cd ... But Difficult To Find It

Downloaded Last Night All In One Dvd .

OP
Zeeshan Quireshi

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
damnthenet said:
I couldn't install the VS express provided in OCT digit.....It seems there r lot of issues
Will this install without probs????
Ya this works Without Probs.

Digit DVD had only the Installation Bootstrapper and not the whole setup that's why it caused problems

sakumar79

Technomancer
Hmm... They have given web-based installer for each components but for offline installer, they have given option for All-in-one DVD ISO only... Would have been nice if they could have given offline installers for each component separately also...

Arun

OP
Zeeshan Quireshi

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
sakumar79 said:
Hmm... They have given web-based installer for each components but for offline installer, they have given option for All-in-one DVD ISO only... Would have been nice if they could have given offline installers for each component separately also...

Arun
Fact is that Offline installer for each component rakes about 600 MB each , and as all components share the same backend so an All-in-One DVD takes only 800 MB space which is much better considering you want to install mulitple products .

^ Its the final version.

They could have given a much nicer package which can install all the products or the choosen ones and using one WCU folder in that. The DVD iso contains 4 copies of SQL Server, .NET Framework, Silverlight Plugin etc. They just ripped the CD ISOs, put them in different folders and created a HTML Application (hta) to run them convieniently. If you copy the contents of dvd on harddrive, it'll take around 3.xxx GB out of which only around 900 MB is useful, rest all is redundent data. I think they have applied some kind of compression in DVD or maybe the WCU folder is only one, others are mere directory entires in ISO filesystem sructure. If it is compression, then it could be well packed into a CD also.

CadCrazy

in search of myself
Krazy_About_Technology said:
Yeh dude, downlading the ISO now. BTW, its a 895 MB in size, is there a way i can compress it to write on a cd? i mean is there a software that i can use to create a compressed,mountable cd image?
Use poweriso and save the image as .daa (remember only poweriso can open/mount it). It is much more compact than standard iso image files

CadCrazy said:
Use poweriso and save the image as .daa (remember only poweriso can open/mount it). It is much more compact than standard iso image files
same ISO inage can be mounted with power ISO,no need to burn on discs.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Krazy_About_Technology said:
^ Its the final version.

They could have given a much nicer package which can install all the products or the choosen ones and using one WCU folder in that. The DVD iso contains 4 copies of SQL Server, .NET Framework, Silverlight Plugin etc. They just ripped the CD ISOs, put them in different folders and created a HTML Application (hta) to run them convieniently. If you copy the contents of dvd on harddrive, it'll take around 3.xxx GB out of which only around 900 MB is useful, rest all is redundent data. I think they have applied some kind of compression in DVD or maybe the WCU folder is only one, others are mere directory entires in ISO filesystem sructure. If it is compression, then it could be well packed into a CD also.
Yes, its a technique to save disk space (optimized mode) wherein all the common files are written only once but each folder that has reference to that file has a hard link.

So as long as it is on the optical media, the size is small. However when you copy it to HDD the repeated components get copied to individual folders which increases the size.

Btw, Downloading AIO DVD makes sense rather than downloading individual components.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom