Vista Wierd Driver Problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

codeash

Broken In
When ever i plug in a USB Storage device it asks me for a driver cd. USB Devices are supposed to be plug and play and no matter what ever USB device i attach it ask for drivers. The Driver database in Vista cannot find it and it asks for a CD with a driver. Not only one or two but all the USB Storage devices i have connected have the same problem. Earlier it was working fine but I think i have changed some settings with windows update or something that is not letting Vista to find the drivers from the database it has. Can someone guide me with this...

Ponmayilal

Attitude matters
I have Windows Vista Home Basic on my DELL laptop and have no difficulty with the two USB pendrives Imation 1GB and G-hanz 1GB.They are automatically recognised.Check whether the Universal Serial Bus controller is listed in the Device Manager. If not enter the BIOS setup and enable the controller.

Last edited:
OP
C

codeash

Broken In
I have not made any changes in the BIOS myself. Everything was working fine I think this problem has occured only after i fiddled with some settings in Windows Update. I made some changes and it redirected me to Microsoft Site and I agreed what ever it was without really reading it and from that time onwards I am facing this problem.

I had HOME PREMIUM installed before this and I used for 3 months before upgrading and I had no problem in that too.

Last edited:

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
codeash said:
When ever i plug in a USB Storage device it asks me for a driver cd. USB Devices are supposed to be plug and play and no matter what ever USB device i attach it ask for drivers. The Driver database in Vista cannot find it and it asks for a CD with a driver. Not only one or two but all the USB Storage devices i have connected have the same problem. Earlier it was working fine but I think i have changed some settings with windows update or something that is not letting Vista to find the drivers from the database it has. Can someone guide me with this...
Can't say exactly about vista.But if it ask driver........than it means Vista is not able to detect your pendrive.Cause can be :
1) Faulty hardware
2) Bad driver

Whenever it ask for driver..let windows find driver by itself...because vista comes with tons of driver preloaded.If it fails again....let windows find proper driver online.

Insert your Vista DVD in your drive and try running this command from an Administrative Command Prompt:

sfc /SCANFILE=%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\drivers\usbstor.sys

if this doesn't show any error with file, the try running full SFC

sfc /scannow.

Reboot your system and try connecting device again.

Tell me if that helps.

Ponmayilal

Attitude matters
^Here is the Guru whom you can count upon.:) Well on the question of system file checker,how do I check all the files?What command should I put in?Once, the installation of Zonealarm for Vista failed midway resulting in BSOD. Though Vista repaired the problem itself, I started getting "Windows explorer encountered an error and closing" frequently.To circumvent this I restored the system to a previous date 28 Sep 2007. After that the windows explorer problem vanished.Perhaps I could have run sfc to check and repair all system files. And hence this question.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Ponmayilal said:
Well on the question of system file checker,how do I check all the files?What command should I put in?

Start -> Run -> SFC /scannow. In case of XP, U need to enter the CD, in case of Vistam u don't need to do anything.

Ponmayilal

Attitude matters
Thanks. Oh me, a mandoogam. failed to see Krazy's post fully.He has said it.Anyway thanks for bringing out the real me in me :)

OP
C

codeash

Broken In
Krazy_About_Technology said:
Insert your Vista DVD in your drive and try running this command from an Administrative Command Prompt:

sfc /SCANFILE=%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\drivers\usbstor.sys

if this doesn't show any error with file, the try running full SFC

sfc /scannow.

Reboot your system and try connecting device again.

Tell me if that helps.

No nothing has happened. Its not working. I put that whole command in the run dialog and when i press enter a command prompt appears and disappears its so fast i can't even see anything its just a flash on the screen. It that how it is supposed to happen.

I had made some changes in Windows Update program of Vista. I think this has happened because of that. When ever i plug in a hardware Vista searches for it online and not in the database. Device manager also doesn't recognise a simple pen drive. I do not remember what changes did i make and where in the Update manager that has caused this.

Thanks for the interest friends I really appreciate everyones time and interest.

*img512.imageshack.us/img512/9568/capturekr0.jpg
This is what it shows in the Vista Update Manager

Last edited:

Ponmayilal

Attitude matters
yes, I also checked the sfc /scannow command in Vista Home Basic.A window just flashed briefly and disappeared and nothing more happened.(In XP however it asked for the CD and when fed with, started the check.But one queer thing was that it will again and again ask for the CD every one or two minutes and I had to sit before the monitor and click on try again.It took about 15 to 20 minutes for the check to complete and at the end of it the check window with the progress bar just disappeared without any message.Does it mean that everything was OK or has it repaired any corrupt files silently? ----- I do not know.Of course I do not have any problems but just tried the Command to check what happens)

As for Codeash's problem of non-recognition of USB devices is concerned I do not think it has anything to do with the Windows update settings.Codeash has not confirmed whether Universal Serial Bus Controller is present in the Device manager or not.Did you ever change anything in the POLICIES? I am just shooting in the dark :)

If you see my post carefully i told you to run the command from an 'Administrative Command Prompt. You'll need to elevate your privileges due to the new feature called UAC in Vista. Anyways, try this..

Open Start Menu, in the search dialog type cmd.exe. On the search result, it will show the file cmd.exe. Right click on it and select 'Run as Administrator'. Now in the command prompt that appears, type those commands. See if that solves the problem.

There is nothing wrong with your Windows Update settings.And yes you dont need the DVD with Vista (Thanks to gx_sauav for update)

@Ponmayilal ^ - The sfc scan that you ran in Win Xp repairs the files and posts the changes it made in the Event Log. You can see these logs in 'Computer Management'. Run the file compmgmt.msc. In the Event log viewer, you'll have a System log. Here there will be two entries for start and stop of scan. In between them there will be a log of what files it repaired.

Ponmayilal

Attitude matters
Thanks @Krazy. Yesterday night itself I went through the following
*www.tech-recipes.com/rx/2231/vista_run_system_file_checker
*www.tech-recipes.com/windows_tips602.html

and then successfully ran sfc /scannow on Vista.At the end of it said that there are some corrupt files which it could not fix and the details are in c:\windows\logs\CBS.log. I could not open that log file. access denied. I did not want to play with the security settings and left it at that.
To repair any problems, however, the article says you will still require the Vista DVD.I put in the Vista DVD and tried sfc /scannow but it still did not repair.Most probably I have to run sfc /quiet or sfc /enable. Have not tried yet. Shall do it when time permits.

Codeash can now run sfc /scannow

if sfc is unable to repair windows files, try this...
1. Boot into Vista Setup using DVD..
2. Use 'repair....' option
3. Click the link to open the command prompt there.
4. You will be on drive X:\> in the command window. Now type

sfc /scannow /OFFBOOTDIR=c:\ /OFFWINDIR=c:\windows

[Note : Replace the c:\ and c:\windows with your actual partition that contains windows. Remember that in Vista normal mode partitions are given drive letters starting from windows boot drive. But there you have to find the actual drive letter.

So for ex, if you have 3 partitions 1 primary, 1 secondry and 2 logical drives on the secondry one, and you installed windows on 1st logical drive, then logically Windows is installed on D:\ according to earlier versions of windows. But in Vista you'll see D:\ as C:\, C:\ as D:\ and E:\ as E:\. I think i cleared my point.
But here you need the drive letter according to earlier version of windows. You can find that out by going to each drive letter by cd command and listiing its contents by dir. The drive that contains the windows and users folder is the one you want.
This case mostly arises with users with multiboot config.
]
SFC will run and repair your file. At this time the windows installation considered online is the setup (Actually setup loads the windows core components to work itself, thats why it considers itself an active windows installation) and the offline one is the one on your harddrive.

Please update me on your success.Ok

gx_saurav said:
Start -> Run -> SFC /scannow. In case of XP, U need to enter the CD, in case of Vistam u don't need to do anything

@gx_Saurav :- Ya bro i gave it a look and found out that Vista keeps most (or maybe all) of the important files in the DLLCache. Thats why it doesn't needs the DVD while repairing from within windows. And unlike Windows Xp, the SFC in Vista doesn't have the option to Purge the cache. I think that also adds up to the install size of vista, but for safety purpose its fine :)

Cheers! :)

One more thing man, have you checked your device manager's USB devices section. If it doesn't shows USB Root Hubs there, then there may be a problem with your hardware too.

Last edited:
OP
C

codeash

Broken In
Krazy_About_Technology said:
if sfc is unable to repair windows files, try this...
1. Boot into Vista Setup using DVD..
2. Use 'repair....' option
3. Click the link to open the command prompt there.
4. You will be on drive X:\> in the command window. Now type

sfc /scannow /OFFBOOTDIR=c:\ /OFFWINDIR=c:\windows

[Note : Replace the c:\ and c:\windows with your actual partition that contains windows. Remember that in Vista normal mode partitions are given drive letters starting from windows boot drive. But there you have to find the actual drive letter.

So for ex, if you have 3 partitions 1 primary, 1 secondry and 2 logical drives on the secondry one, and you installed windows on 1st logical drive, then logically Windows is installed on D:\ according to earlier versions of windows. But in Vista you'll see D:\ as C:\, C:\ as D:\ and E:\ as E:\. I think i cleared my point.
But here you need the drive letter according to earlier version of windows. You can find that out by going to each drive letter by cd command and listiing its contents by dir. The drive that contains the windows and users folder is the one you want.
This case mostly arises with users with multiboot config.
]
SFC will run and repair your file. At this time the windows installation considered online is the setup (Actually setup loads the windows core components to work itself, thats why it considers itself an active windows installation) and the offline one is the one on your harddrive.

Please update me on your success.Ok

@gx_Saurav :- Ya bro i gave it a look and found out that Vista keeps most (or maybe all) of the important files in the DLLCache. Thats why it doesn't needs the DVD while repairing from within windows. And unlike Windows Xp, the SFC in Vista doesn't have the option to Purge the cache. I think that also adds up to the install size of vista, but for safety purpose its fine :)

Cheers! :)

One more thing man, have you checked your device manager's USB devices section. If it doesn't shows USB Root Hubs there, then there may be a problem with your hardware too.

Today I installed a USB Driver successfully but through a work around. When Vista failed to find the drivers online [which is the problem, it doesn't search in the database] it asked me to put a cd and i choose i don't have a cd and went ahead and choose a location c:\windows\ and let Vista search for the drivers. It searched and installed it within minutes. I don't understand what settings have i changed that is making windows not search its own database and directly go for online search. I am sure there is a minor change i have made...but where???

raptorz

Smitten by Computers..
This Issue happens, When Vista 's Driver Database is Corrupted. It fails to recognize new devices and install the drivers automatically..

The most common Culprit is Nokia PC Suite. The Driver CD usually will usually contain some outdated version, So Make sure you install only the latest versions of PC Suite.

You have to rebuild Vista's Driver Database.

Follow these steps carefully

1. Boot from your Vista DVD and Click on "Repair your computer".
2. Open "Command Prompt". Enter C:
3. Enter CD \Windows\INF
4. Enter the following commands exactly
DEL DRVINDEX.DAT

DEL INFPUB.DAT
DEL INFSTOR.DAT
DEL INFSTRNG.DAT
DEL INFCACHE.*
DEL SETUPAPI.*
5. Reboot

I suggest you write down these commands on paper before you try. Be carefully while deleting, making a mistake may leave your Vista Unbootable.

Your comments are welcome..

OP
C

codeash

Broken In
raptorz said:
This Issue happens, When Vista 's Driver Database is Corrupted. It fails to recognize new devices and install the drivers automatically..

The most common Culprit is Nokia PC Suite. The Driver CD usually will usually contain some outdated version, So Make sure you install only the latest versions of PC Suite.

3. Enter CD \Windows\INF
DEL DRVINDEX.DAT

DEL INFPUB.DAT
DEL INFSTOR.DAT
DEL INFSTRNG.DAT
DEL INFCACHE.*
DEL SETUPAPI.*
5. Reboot

I suggest you write down these commands on paper before you try. Be carefully while deleting, making a mistake may leave your Vista Unbootable.

Can you tell me what is the * in the end Am i supposed to put that too?
" DEL INFCACHE.*
DEL SETUPAPI.*"

raptorz

Smitten by Computers..
just enter exactly as i have said. Del file.* will delete all files having name "file" and all possible extensions..

OP
C

codeash

Broken In
raptorz said:

3. Enter CD \Windows\INF
DEL DRVINDEX.DAT

DEL INFPUB.DAT
DEL INFSTOR.DAT
DEL INFSTRNG.DAT
DEL INFCACHE.*
DEL SETUPAPI.*
5. Reboot

Thanks a lot dude...This helped. My problem is solved.

Ponmayilal

Attitude matters
Here is another tech guru raptorz.Krazy about technology in trying to resolve codeash's problem brought in System file checker in Vista. That kindled a lot of interest and I have done quite some research on the topic by doing a websearch and now intend to post some info on the subject which may be of interest for those using Vista and trying to troubleshoot.raptorz has given a good lot of info on Vista driver database corruption and how to deal with it. I feel such topics should form a sticky thread on "Troubleshooting Windows Vista"

OP
C

codeash

Broken In
Ponmayilal said:
Here is another tech guru raptorz.Krazy about technology in trying to resolve codeash's problem brought in System file checker in Vista. That kindled a lot of interest and I have done quite some research on the topic by doing a websearch and now intend to post some info on the subject which may be of interest for those using Vista and trying to troubleshoot.raptorz has given a good lot of info on Vista driver database corruption and how to deal with it. I feel such topics should form a sticky thread on "Troubleshooting Windows Vista"

I too agree to it because a lot of people have started using Vista now and they need a techie to help them out with new problems arising everyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom