Vista slow after installing SP1

Status
Not open for further replies.

shivkumar

>>>>>Monkey Power
In our office we have recently switched to VISTA Ultimate. The Vista installed is 32 bit Ultimate Edition. Recently I upgraded my os with SP1. After installing SP1, the computer has now become slow. Any suggestion what should I do to improve the performance.

Should I uninstall SP1 from the comp?

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
A fresh installation of Windows Vista SP1 is recommended and it is the best way to implement Service Pack 1 in Windows Vista.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
before SP1, the disk usage was 12-13GB, after SP1 its 18GB:|
the bootup time has increased, now its around 3-4mins:x

goin to re-install vista.

btw, i'm on preloaded OEM Vista:))

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
^^^ 3-4 minutes heck, now I hve a good reason never to get vista on my comp, my XP startup is hardly 20s, shotdown in 7s.

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
before SP1, the disk usage was 12-13GB, after SP1 its 18GB:|
the bootup time has increased, now its around 3-4mins:x

goin to re-install vista.

btw, i'm on preloaded OEM Vista:))

MS has already stated that installing a fresh copy of Windows Vista SP1 on Laptops that include pre-installed OEM version of Windows Vista dramatically speeds up the bootup time and overall performance also increase.

^^^ 3-4 minutes heck, now I hve a good reason never to get vista on my comp, my XP startup is hardly 20s, shotdown in 7s.

That is due to lack of optimization and not a reason to hate Vista anyway. Installing a fresh copy of Windows Vista is always the best way to get more of it.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
MS has already stated that installing a fresh copy of Windows Vista SP1 on Laptops that include pre-installed OEM version of Windows Vista dramatically speeds up the bootup time and overall performance also increase.
you mean install SP1 on a freshly installed Vista???

if yes, then that means i've to first run a full recovery (re-installing vista) on laptop , then install SP1 (standalone installer)?
& i'll have to move[burn] 40+ GB of data onto dvd.

btw, the bootup on laptop is tolerable (1.5-2mins):D, its the desktop which takes like 5mins to bootup. (b4 SP1, bootup was under 1min).
will be reinstalling Vista tonight & install LinuxMint-5-r1:))

btw, if i uninstall SP1, will i face more problems?

jal_desai

In the zone
use CCleaner or TuneUp utilities to remove the junk. i think thts slowing down ur pc. and remove all unwanted startup programs. By the way, I m using Vista for last 1.5 years and never had problems with it. My boot time is maximum 1 min... (without any startup programs)

Hey dude looks like its and installation problem. Post your PC configuration here then maybe we can do some more help. There might be junk filled up within your PC and also registry probs. Download Uniblue Registry Booster 2 and Uniblue SpeedupMy PC 3 and do a thorough repair. Download'em at www.uniblue.com or search some torrent site. get your sl key at www.serials.ws. Now its time to do a drive defrag. Download auslogics boost speed from www.auslogics.com and download it. Now if it doesn't solve the problem then you might have to install a fresh copy of win vista.

The newest and easiest way to install vista is to integrate SP1 in vista installation before installing it. It will make it a lot easier to install Vista. Now to integrate SP1 you will need vlite a free software. Get it from www.vlite.com. Now copy all the files of your vista installation DVD in one folder on your PC. Open vlite locate the folder slipstream the SP1 package and you are done. IT MIGHT EVEN TAKE AN HOUR COMPLETE THE SLIPSTREAM PROCESS. If you face any problems or questions plz contact me. It is no PIRACY METHOD.

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
Directx 10 is only for vista and it is not supported on xp.

Some people over the internet claimed that importing some directX related system files from Windows Vista installation and integrating them using the DirectX API available for Windows XP could bring DirectX 10 in Windows XP. I cant agree fully with the claim fully since I have not done it personally.

tkin

Back to school!!
Some people over the internet claimed that importing some directX related system files from Windows Vista installation and integrating them using the DirectX API available for Windows XP could bring DirectX 10 in Windows XP. I cant agree fully with the claim fully since I have not done it personally.
It works, I've seen it with my own eyes, working like a charm.

My friend's rig:-
Q6600
DQ35JO
2x2GB 800 MHz ZION RAM
XFX 8800GT Alpha Dog

Using DX10 in XP perfectly, just a warning sign showing when launching BioShock, but it works without a hitch after that and works pretty fine too.

Everything else works as well, DXDIAG reports DX version as 10 and OS as XP:cool::):D:):cool:

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
Yeah, even when I play CS with my old 6200TC, it shows
Software Level DX-10
Hardware level DX-9 ( wish I had a DX10 card, mannnn)

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
to all, the problem was SP1 itself, it made the desktop very slow.
well, did a format-install, so now Vista boots up in less than a min.
some games were also working too slow on SP1.

anyways, will try uninstallin SP1 on laptop.

btw, to keep my Windows (xp & vista:p)clean, i've been using CCleaner + Tune Up combo since 2006.

@jojothedragon, i think you should remove some links from your post;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom