Vista is still the most secure OS to date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocket357

Security freak
goobimama said:
Windows is secure? Since when?

I've just been infested by a stupid virus.
Sorry to hear that...was it Vista or XP, out of curiousity? (If it's XP, then thanks for the info, but this thread is about *Vista* being "the most secure OS to date"! If it's Vista, then I rest my case haha).

iMav said:
installing anything on it is not simple alwys go into tht terminal

Dear God, I can't believe I didn't see this the first time around. Let me review a few installation routines:

Gentoo Linux:
emerge openoffice

OpenBSD:
pkg_add openoffice

FreeBSD:
pkg_add openoffice

The next thing that happens is quite funny...all of the packages that I need to make the program I'm installing work correctly are downloaded and installed automatically. Badda-bing, badda-boom. Package is ready for use.

If that's too complex for you, then you seriously need to sell your computer and never think about it ever again...

Last edited:

mediator

Technomancer
rocket357 said:
Umm, must we get THAT specific here? Or has the concept of virtual memory eluded some of us?

Hrmmm...my WinXP machine seems to have 1.7 GB of stuff in "RAM"...perhaps I should install another 1 GB so I don't "overflow"...

Guess I'd best do the same for my Win2k3 Server machine...and my OpenBSD box (errr...wait...that one usually only uses 30-50 MB of RAM...so I guess it's ok with 512 MB)...and my Gentoo Linux box (oh yeah, that one also only uses like 40-60 MB of RAM...guess it's ok with the 1 GB it has already)...and my FreeBSD box (oh wait...same thing...it usually uses 25-50 MB of RAM and it has 256 MB).

Looks like my Windows machines are the only ones that really *need* the virtual memory idea...I wonder why that is? (And don't get me started on Vista's requirements!) haha
U r wasting ur time and effort. Enlightenment tried to strike those guys a zillion times, but their fanboyic barrier was really strong!!

First enlightenment ignored them, then it ridiculed them, then it fought them to conquer their brains and then their fanboyism won!! :oops:

U can see how they still repeat things like 'mounting' one as though they have alzheimer's and forgotten of the enlightenment! Neways u may still give ur best shot, but I bet I wud be correct....Lets see who wins u or me!! ;)

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
well this is the problem wid most here in this forum! people simply fail to recognise the weak points of their fav. OS! every OS has its share of strong points and weak points. i request people to not to become a frog in the well!

if u are using windows try out linux wid an open mind. if u are using linux do try out windows wid an open mind and yet request the same to mac users. if u do this wid a negative thot abt that OS then you'll fail to see that OS' strong points and ur fav. OS' weak points.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
ya well thats ok but just for a note, MAC has no positives :D (gin ke ek do honge)

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
iMav said:
MAC has no positives
see now.. thats a negative way of looking things. why, isn't the interface cool!! :D

hmmm.. i think ease of use is one of its strongest points! obviously not everywhere...

din

Tribal Boy
infra_red_dude said:
well this is the problem wid most here in this forum! people simply fail to recognise the weak points of their fav. OS! every OS has its share of strong points and weak points. i request people to not to become a frog in the well!

Exactly.

In another words - The difference is the ice cubes in my refrigerator and the iceberg which hit Titanic :)

@iMav

Don't you agree with infra_red_dude ? Why you are still trying to attack Mac for no reason ?

Another thing I do not understand is (someone already mentioned this), why some are BLINDLY supporting some OS / Companies !! We can very well understand it if they are the employees / owner of the company. But I do not think thats the case ..

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
well coz they unemployed salesman, im not attacking os x just my opinion and also shared by quite a few :D

rocket357

Security freak
Personal attacks aside, it appears to me that infra_red_dude has had a revelation. There's more maturity in that one post than in possibly the previous five pages of posts (mine included heh =)

Ok...here's what I see wrongwith my favorite OS's:

Gentoo Linux (my absolute favorite): Building everything right takes a long time. Nothing is more irritating than taking the time to compile a kernel (Gentoo is source-driven and doesn't have a binary kernel available, so you HAVE to compile it from source) and then realizing you forgot to enable one of your PCI cards...doh?

OpenBSD: default settings are so restricted that it takes longer to set everything up after installation than the installation itself. Enabling one service typically requires you modify multiple config files. This isn't a huge con, but OpenBSD uses a shell I'm not terribly comfortable with as it's default (and I hate running "non-standard" shells). Also, one of my favorite IM plugins (gaim-encryption) isn't ported to OpenBSD, and what little effort I've put into making it work has...well...NOT worked.

FreeBSD: This is a tough one, since FreeBSD has packages (binary) and ports (source) available, so building the system from both source and precompiled packages is a breeze. Also, FreeBSD has a port of pf (OpenBSD's firewall), which is a HUGE plus. FreeBSD also has a vulnerability database built-in so you can see what security impact a package will have on your system...sigh. I guess cons are that I haven't figured out how to get my M$ mouse's wheel working properly yet, and the FreeBSD structure and conky's portmonitoring capabilities aren't (as far as I can tell) compatible, meaning to get it working I have to write the code myself (not a problem, but I haven't done it yet).

Mac OSX: Hardware is expensive (which is why I don't own one and can't comment beyond that).

Windows XP/2003 Server (yes, I'm listing XP and Server 2003 as my favorites): The Microsoft family of OS's were NOT built with programmers in mind. I've spent this summer looking into the DDK and WDK kits available and have liked what I've seen so far, which is a plus, but when Microsoft decides to move on, you either have to upgrade or you have to live with security issues. Also, Microsoft has some seriously cool addons available...but they don't advertise it! It's quite annoying to find a kit that does EXACTLY what you've been trying to find right on their site...but you have to know exactly WHERE to look. I also have issues with Microsoft as a company and their FUD tactics/legal approach to nearly everything. As I read somewhere once: "Microsoft innovates all the time...unfortunately it's in the legal department and not in the technical department."

Edit - What I mean by "The Microsoft family of OS's were NOT built with programmers in mind" is that you can build an application quickly and with relatively little effort, but if you want to write something purely from scratch your choices are more limited with Microsoft's products than, say, Linux development. Also, unless you use Microsoft-sanctioned products, you lose functionality, which is never good.

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
rocket357 said:
The next thing that happens is quite funny...all of the packages that I need to make the program I'm installing work correctly are downloaded and installed automatically. Badda-bing, badda-boom. Package is ready for use.

Good luck with offline package management or installation in case of no Internet availability.

Edit - What I mean by "The Microsoft family of OS's were NOT built with programmers in mind" is that you can build an application quickly and with relatively little effort, but if you want to write something purely from scratch your choices are more limited with Microsoft's products than, say, Linux development.

Have a Look at VS 2003/2005 & Cross Platform compiler. Judging by your own experience with OpenBSD & FreeBSD it seems you youself are not happy with the current level of desktop functionality :D

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
rocket357 said:
Personal attacks aside, it appears to me that infra_red_dude has had a revelation.
hmmm... yeah. i've been using windows since version 3.0 and linux since initial kernel releases. i kno where windows lacks and linux can take over & where linux lacks and windows can take over. i kno it in the context of my usage. so its purely subjective. it maybe different for different people.

this is the reason why i suggested people to try out other OS'. unless you try them out u never kno whats in store for you. it may actually lead to more productivity than you think. when u are stuck wid an OS you are limited to its functionality and the way you perform tasks. when u try out new things (OS' in this context) you may actually realise that there are better ways of doing the same task! so haf an open mind for everything in life and do acknowledge the faults in you and your favourite entities!

an argument which says "my os is best!" is as bad as the one which says "your os is the worst!"

ps: in my case, the dept. where windows lacks is security (yes, including vista. don't flame me for this but its my personal experience!). so linux takes over here. for gaming linux is a loser.. so thats where windows takes over. this is jus one example i'm giving. i haf lots more where each OS lacks something.

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Linux without internet is nothing. You do not get offline packages for Linux anywhere. The market panetration is very low due to which even if you go to the market to buy a CD of essential linux softwares, by the time you come back to home, you find those are discontinued versions :D

This is where Windows rules.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
well infra ur statements bare stark resemblance to what mac boys used to say ... try first then come every 1 on this forum what happend when we got our hands on the os x and the truth was revealed which off course hurt the salesman ego, how evr coming to ur post the thing unix and windows both differentiate right from the core and if it didnt have any +ves it would have died even before it was born so yes i agree in linux u control everything but that doesnt make it the best OS as a lot of people claim only coz it is more secure and windows has drm drm drm drm

rocket357

Security freak
gx_saurav said:
Good luck with offline package management or installation in case of no Internet availability.

I don't know how ISP's are in India, but that's NEVER been a problem here =)

gx_saurav said:
Have a Look at VS 2003/2005 & Cross Platform compiler. Judging by your own experience with OpenBSD & FreeBSD it seems you youself are not happy with the current level of desktop functionality :D
VS 2005? Are you kidding? It's the very pinacle of "dumbed down for artists and wannabe fanboys". If I want to run a fat bloated IDE that makes my slow Windows install run EVEN slower, then I'd run Eclipse...at least with Eclipse I can program in *more* languages.

As for my experiences with OpenBSD/FreeBSD...it's true it's more difficult to set those machines up initially, but it's also been my experience that I can go 2+ years without major problems requiring a reinstall. Hrmmm...guess if it's less efficient once every few years, then Windows MUST be the clear winner? A prime example is my Gentoo machine at work. I installed it around 5 months ago, and I have yet to reboot it since the initial install. Still eats my WinXP box alive in terms of performance, and still uses less than 100 MB of RAM on average...my XP box, with repeated required reboots, still uses more RAM, requires more maintenance, and exhibits more interface lag even though my XP box is a dual core P4 with a GB of DDR2, and my Linux box is a 1.8 Celeron with 512 MB DDR1.

gx_saurav said:
Linux without internet is nothing. You do not get offline packages for Linux anywhere. The market panetration is very low due to which even if you go to the market to buy a CD of essential linux softwares, by the time you come back to home, you find those are discontinued versions :D

This is where Windows rules.
If you pay for Linux software, you're an idiot or you're doing it for support...either way it shows lack of knowledge on your part. When is everyone going to wake up and realize that human beings are far more capable in terms of learning than OS's are? If you have to have stuff handed to you on a plate by your OS, you're a lazy bum IMNSHO. Get a grip and put your brain in gear!

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
rocket357 said:
I don't know how ISP's are in India, but that's NEVER been a problem here =)
Keeping this in mind, do not talk about india's market & users when yiu have the users of your country in your mind.

VS 2005? Are you kidding? It's the very pinacle of "dumbed down for artists and wannabe fanboys". If I want to run a fat bloated IDE that makes my slow Windows install run EVEN slower, then I'd run Eclipse...at least with Eclipse I can program in *more* languages.
Lolz....someone really has never worked on VS 2005 :D

it's also been my experience that I can go 2+ years without major problems requiring a reinstall.
:Yawn", yeah my Vista installation is also running fine from last 8 months....how the hell did this happened then. Oh! did i mentioned that setting up vista is a child's play. I installed it, & just used the settings of my XP Partition & software. Done.

A prime example is my Gentoo machine at work. I installed it around 5 months ago, and I have yet to reboot it since the initial install. Still eats my WinXP box alive in terms of performance, and still uses less than 100 MB of RAM on average...my XP box, with repeated required reboots, still uses more RAM, requires more maintenance, and exhibits more interface lag even though my XP box is a dual core P4 with a GB of DDR2, and my Linux box is a 1.8 Celeron with 512 MB DDR1.
Can't talk about reboot thing cos I close my computer when I go to sleep in night.

Gentoo eats less then 100 MB RAM, yeah....hey how many featues it provides when it is using only 100 MB RAM?

Hey, gentoo isn't BSD, why r u bringing it to this discussion.

If you pay for Linux software, you're an idiot or you're doing it for support

I don't have ultra fast internet connection here. How do i get software? Let me a know an eaiser way.

...either way it shows lack of knowledge on your part. When is everyone going to wake up and realize that human beings are far more capable in terms of learning than OS's are? If you have to have stuff handed to you on a plate by your OS, you're a lazy bum IMNSHO. Get a grip and put your brain in gear!
Do I hear frustration & personal comments :rolleyes:

Fellow members I give u Prakash version 2.0 = Rocket357

rocket357

Security freak
gx_saurav said:
Keeping this in mind, do not talk about india's market & users when yiu have the users of your country in your mind.

Lolz....someone really has never worked on VS 2005 :D

:Yawn", yeah my Vista installation is also running fine from last 8 months....how the hell did this happened then. Oh! did i mentioned that setting up vista is a child's play. I installed it, & just used the settings of my XP Partition & software. Done.

Can't talk about reboot thing cos I close my computer when I go to sleep in night.

Gentoo eats less then 100 MB RAM, yeah....hey how many featues it provides when it is using only 100 MB RAM?

Hey, gentoo isn't BSD, why r u bringing it to this discussion.

I don't have ultra fast internet connection here. How do i get software? Let me a know an eaiser way.

Do I hear frustration & personal comments :rolleyes:

Fellow members I give u Prakash version 2.0 = Rocket357
I can't comment as to Prakash 2.0, but I can say that if Prakash likes doing things himself, then ahh well, he must be a good guy.

Gentoo with less than 100 MB of RAM gives me a full menu-driven desktop. When was the last time that occurred on Windows?

Sorry, let me drop Gentoo from the discussion...my FreeBSD server at home has been running non-stop for 4 months without a single hiccup. It's available 100% of the time =)

As for VS 2005, I've used it since I got a free copy from the academic alliance (around a year or so ago). I don't have a massive computer system, to be honest...I have an amd64 3000+ with 1 GB dual channel DDR1 with an AGP GeForce 6600 GT. It's not a *bad* machine, but it's certainly not top of the line. WinXP is slow...Vista is even slower...and VS 2005 makes them both crawl. Edit - Vista gave me a score of 2.8 out of (correct me if I'm wrong) 5.0 on "Vista experience" or whatever.

If your hardware can keep up with Vista, then I guarantee you'd see performance gains by installing Gentoo or Free/OpenBSD. If you still deny it, you've never experienced BSD or real Linux, and everything you've said to this point is null and void by virtue of talking out of your ass.

And as a side note, I'd like to mention that I have the native nvidia drivers running on that GeForce 6600 GT, and I can push insane fps for virtually anything I want to do (3D modelling, gaming (yeah, it exists on Linux, but it's mostly first person shooter style games), etc...).

Frustration: yes. I'm quite surprised that this thread hasn't closed for sufficient evidence to the contrary of the title.

Personal comments: perhaps =) Seems your M$-driven blog is crammed full of ideas on how to improve Windows. But gx! How could your perfect OS need *GASP* improvement! Nice touch adding in a shameless plug for your fellow fanboys, by the way...that was quite nice of you.

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
Why?Gentoo bsd is also available,right?
*www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/bsd/fbsd/
btwn Why do @gx u got frustrated and pull prakash prakash everywhere?Isnt that u got the answers for all your M$ fanboyism.

I hope let the thread title be edited as [Idea]Vista/window$ still secure if run with a BSD/Linux system as a firewall(honeypot).this is what many companies pressured to run windows does i think :lol:
*www.pcquest.com/content/linux/2004/104050806.asp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom