Vista Dual Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashu_dps

Hell Sucks!!!
Hi,
I have Vista and XP on a dual boot. Whenever i hibernate any one of them and switch on later, the hibernation just gets over n i boot into my last working environment.
Isnt their a way so that i get an OS choice menu despite hibernation so that i can keep both the OSs in hibernation n boot into anyone whnevr reqd ?

47shailesh

Security Exp
Not Possible..

Kernel is diffrent for both the OS.. so kernel need to be loaded along with the drivers(required)...

So need to restart system for that...

And a Note: While hibernating OS store the running programs in memory and restore them back after u switch on that's why u log on to same enviro from which u hibernatred :)

OP
A

ashu_dps

Hell Sucks!!!
Hey bt whn i had loaded linux it was possible, I cud hibernate UBUNTU n log on to my hibernated XP for a quick switchover.

BTW when the hibernation file Hibe*.sys is individually present in OSs own drive why its not possible ?

Rollercoaster

-The BlacKCoaT Operative-
the only way to do this is to have individual boot loaders for each OS

Ubuntu and XP work cause linux doesnt put a chek for this in the bootloader

if u want vista and XP to be able to hiberbate and still let the other boot then u need to 'make active'(so that individual boot loaders are installed) the partition to which u r installing vista/xp while installing and then make active(if both OS on same hdd) that OS partition or choose hdd(in case OS on diff hdd) from bios as 1st priority to boot into it even of the other is hibernated

The reason u should not do this is because when u hiberbate all system memory and refrences are saved so if u were to boot into another OS and u delete/modify some files(s)(or any disk structure) and then go back to the hibernated OS the system could become instable if a program was using those files/disk

or u could also use a thirdparty bootloader, basically various windows installations should not be aware of each other :)

also linux and windows let each other alone is because these systems are totally different and cannot(generally speaking) use each others data.. so they cant currupt each other :)

cheers

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom