Virus in External Hard Disk - files now hidden

vigneshnm

Broken In
Hi,
A trojan entered my external hard disk and made all the folders as .exe. So i ran AVG and it moved all the virus files to the vault. But the problem is, i can't see any of my files in it. My Computer shows that there's 731 GB free of the 930 GB but i can't access any of my files. I tried chkdsk e:/r but it didn't have any effect.

Please help!!

Regards,
Vignesh

roady

Digital Marketer
You can then go to your Drive location and go to Organize -> Folder options -> View Tab ->

1) Check "show hidden files and folders"
2) Also, UNcheck "hide protected operating system files"

You should be able to see your folders now. Just that, go to their properties and change the settings. And after that, make sure to CHECK back the "Hide protected OS files" option.

OP
V

vigneshnm

Broken In
Thanks! I can see all my folders and files. However, I am unable to remove the Hidden attribute. It's locked. How do I go about doing that?

I took the easier way out. Create a new proper folder and cut paste data from the hidden folders! :-D

roady

Digital Marketer
I just know of 2 ways.

One which you used, the other is through command prompt, quite a hectic process but here it is

Start -> CMD
type attrib -s -h "E:\folder_name"
press enter

attrib - attribute
-s = make the folder a NON system folder
-h = make the folder a non hidden folder
and the destination in quotes.

The reason why the folder properties didn't work for you is cause the folder is a system folder and even if you unhide it, you still need to remove the "system" properties of an ordinary folder in order to gain normal access.

...you can also use this as an alternative to folder lock software lol

just do the opposite

in cmd prompt, type
attrib +s +h "e:\folder_name"

and it'll be not that easy to find, unless you uncheck that option of "hide protected OS files"

:)

OP
V

vigneshnm

Broken In
Ok thanks! Any idea how to recover days from a hard disk which is being shown as RAW? Chkdsk doesn't work on those.

Top Bottom