Votes: 0 0.0%
  • second hand LCD

• second hand flat monitor

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone tell me how to view different content on two monitors using same PC.

I have a p4 HT compter with a crt monitor. I want to add another monitor (LCD 17'') to my system & view different contents on the two monitors.
example: I want to monitor my stocks (i do share trading) on one monitor & do programming on the other monitor.

I have already heard of vga splitter . But that is useless (except in case of educational institutes) as it shows the same content on both the monitors.
I called many shops to enquire about my problem but they only say that vga splitters are the only thing available in the markets & what i am asking hasnt been invented yet. But i am sure that something or the other is there to help me out.

One more question how many monitors can we connect to a system

If we attach more than 2 video cards to the motherboard will all the three work (including the one inbuilt in the motherboard )

Last edited by a moderator:

sakumar79

Technomancer
See *www.expresscomputeronline.com/20040712/techspace01.shtml for instructions...

The maximum number of monitors isn't known, but the often-cited limit of 10 monitors on Windows 2000/XP is only a limitation of the Display Properties applet, not the system as a whole. So installing more than 10 monitors should work fine, but you would need a custom application, for example UltraMon, to configure them. Visit *www.realtimesoft.com/multimon/faq.asp for more details on using multiple monitors

Arun

neurocom

Right off the assembly line
I dont think there is any hardware for viewing two monitors on one system

I think you should opt for a new video card & attach the new monitor to it. And buy some software to enable the viewing

Since we are discussing monitors here i wanted to know wheteher there are usb based monitors or usb+normal cable monitors

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
neurocom said:
I dont think there is any hardware for viewing two monitors on one system
Then why are there 2 D-Sub/DVI ports on modern graphics cards?

faraz_majidkhan said:
If we attach more than 2 video cards to the motherboard will all the three work (including the one inbuilt in the motherboard )
Forget 2 video cards, you can run 3 monitors with a single video card.
For example on my RS480 mobo and X1600 Pro graphics, I can attach 1 monitor to the onboard VGA port and 2 to the graphics card.

Last edited:

Ch@0s

In the zone
Just about any decent modern card will have dual display capabilities. Just get a Geforce 6200/Radeon X1300 or something similar.

@varun: 3 displays is only possible if you have ATI onboard video and an ATI video card. Any other combo is not going to give you triple head.

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
Ch@0s said:
@varun: 3 displays is only possible if you have ATI onboard video and an ATI video card. Any other combo is not going to give you triple head.
That's true. But I do have ATI onboard video and an ATI video card.

neurocom

Right off the assembly line
I dont think so. Graphic cards are for games so even if u attatch two monitors to the two slots one on the motherboard & one on the card, you would get two views only for games. that too supported games

OP
F

faraz_majidkhan

Broken In
I Dont want to use the monitors for games. I want to use it for loads of stuff like share trading, programming , viewing two web pages simultaneusly in full view, projects,etc.

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
I think your query has been answered. Get a decent rig, add a graphics card that has output for 2 monitors and get 2 monitors preferably LCD's. You don't want 2 bulky CRT's on your worktable.

OP
F

faraz_majidkhan

Broken In
I searched a little bit & got to know that windows xp has dual monitor expansion capability. You can drag an item from one monitor to the other(WOW). but you got to have a video or graphic card.

So i wanted to know :-
1) which graphic/video card will support this feature
2) my motherboard is "intel D 915 GAV" with P4 processor 3.0Ghz ,so which
video/graphic cards will be compatable with my system
3) what about usb monitors will they help

can anyone tell me the rates of these graphic cards or video cards

Champ

.NET Guru
faraz_majidkhan said:
I searched a little bit & got to know that windows xp has dual monitor expansion capability. You can drag an item from one monitor to the other(WOW). but you got to have a video or graphic card.

So i wanted to know :-
1) which graphic/video card will support this feature
2) my motherboard is "intel D 915 GAV" with P4 processor 3.0Ghz ,so which
video/graphic cards will be compatable with my system
3) what about usb monitors will they help

can anyone tell me the rates of these graphic cards or video cards

Dear Faraz the answer of ur question is very simple

first of all buy a graphics card
as u dont play games so no need to buy a high end one just buy a low end graphics card
my suggestion would be a PCI-e
6200TC/128 MB from XFX/BIG/Gigabyte costing around 2500(approx)
now u will need 2 moniters
and if u dont want to buy a new moniter u can even use any old television as second display but the quality of display will no be as good as offered by a moniter

now connect both displays to ur GC
now there r 4 options in which u can cofig. them
1.Dual View
2. Vortical Span
3. Horizental Span
4. independent
in al the options except 1st one u can watch different contents on both the displays

but i will recommend the forth one which i am using,
i hav connect my 20' LG TV and 17' View sonic Moniter In Independent mode and tv is used to watch movies or to play games by my brother while i do programming on the moniter, all at the same time

hopes this solves ur problem

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
Actually you do need a decent graphics card even though you don't want to play games. It takes a lot of processing power to drive two displays and budget graphics cards are not up to it. Atleast a 6600 is recommended for smooth working of 2 monitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom