Not open for further replies.

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
You can convert it using converters. One of the best is DVDSanta 4.0

Very simple in operation.
Download: DVDSanta 4.0

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
You need a video capture hardware. Since you have VCR/VCP, you need to have an analog video capture card. Use this to card and software to capture the video from VCP/VCR to computer and start the conversion.

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
There are many varieties of Video Capture cards. Some come with T.V Tuner and some handful of features. The price varies from Rs2000/- to Rs.5000/-.
Choose from Pinnacle. They are doing good in this business. Check out more about these cards in the store.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
I got my friend to buy a Pinacle PCTV card, and it does video capture quiet nicely. Just remember to turn off or exit everything that's near the system clock before you start the capture else there might be a audio/video dysynchrony

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
Yep. Pinnacle card is doing good in this segment. Video Audio lag occurs if the system is low on resources and if the video length is too long. Otherwise there should be no problems.

saurav29

Waiting for 3 Miracles...
Hey man,
As far a i know there are three ways of converting VHS to VCD

This is common so you have to do this to attach VCR to Computer

Take an AV Lead (Red, yellow and white pins) splice one of the wires for
instance take white connect a headphone/speaker pin to it since this pin is streo
you will have to short the wire to both pins to get streo output( Note: some of the
more recent VCR's do had a streo output but i seriously doubt that your VHS will have
streo output if they have you have to splice both the red and white wires and short the ground and

connect it to headphone pin (Ground +L audio +R audio). jack the newly created lead at VCR video

out(yellow pin) and audio out(white +red pin depending upon your VCR mono or streo) respectively.

the headphone pin on the otherhand goes to your sound card audio in jack (Blue color).

Now you need to connect the other line Video in to be precise to your computer and you are all set

up..

here comes the tricky part

1) you will need a graphics AGP card like ASUS V7700 DLX i had very very long time back.. it had a

video in jack.. you will have to connect using yellow pin to this card.

2) if you do not have an AGP with video in, this is alternate method you will need a TV tuner card

all of them have video in at least they will have S-Video in (can tell you about S video or

compisite too later on) plug the yellow cable in video in of tv tuner card and you are ready....

3) have heard of few video cameras llike sony that has an ability to export movie to computers but

though never saw one so i am sure somebidy will help you out for that one...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now the easy part aka the softwares....

any way you connect 1 or 2 doesn't matter

You will need a DVR software like winDVR , cineplayer DVR,etc there are lots available...
i used cine player DVR long time back not sure how you can get it...
anyway once you are set
you have to do the followin g settings..
select MPG , Video CD format basically or size of the capture 800x600 for DVD and 320x240 something

like that for VCD google it i didnt remmebr it exactly.......
you have to select audio source to line in and select video source to video in...
this will give you a screen that will play whatever you play on VCR.....Daaaa!

Note: open advanced / recording control panel of sound card windows audio remember icon in your

task bar well thats windows audio...
you have to select line in in recording and set all the recording volumes in the window to full....

next select or donot whatever you like the size of the split file... 650mb or 700 depending on your

media..

whatever you are set to record hit the record button on DVR window on you comp and it will start

caputuring the streaming video from your VCR/VHS

and nOw comes the boring part ....
wait for the casstes to play and finish and so will your recording...
you will get files captured in mpg format...
use out good old nero to burn them........to video disc and you are done....
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
play them on your VCD player and contemplate all the troubles you took to convert them
when you could have easily watch them from VHS itself.............
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ya one thing more if you have a S video in or composite and you can find their cable then you just

need to connect that cable and select S video or composite as source in DVR while setting it up for

recording .. and you will no longer need to splice the cables and prepare a custom cable as S

video or composite will take care or both for ya..........
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hope it helps..........

if you need any help or get stck somewhere or demotivation anthing.....pm me and ill see
what i can do........

peace
raj

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
External will also do. There is not much difference whether it is internal or external. All you need is a capture device. Just connect the external tuner and capture the video from VCR/VCP. Most of the external tuners come with a software to capture video. Check out whether your card has one.

OP
V

varunprabhakar

In the zone
mine tv tuner is intex external. it has svideo n snthing like MMI? wot does tht stand for?? is thtr of any use??

Last edited:

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
MMI is short form for Multi Media Interface. It is also used for Man Machine Interface. It is a teminal to extend DVD,VCD,MP3, functions. It is a single interface to control these extended functions. It has nothing to do with Video Capture. It is just a interface through which you can connect to a display for operation like in Cars, decks etc.

Regarding external Tuners with capture device, you have many options. Pinnacle is towards expensive side. An external Pinnacle TV tuner cum Video capture device will cost you around Rs.5000/- Internal cards are cheaper and are available for Rs2000 onwards. For more details, plz check out the electronic shopee in your city.

saurav29

Waiting for 3 Miracles...
External TV tuner card will only work in case they are USB.... aka they are detected in the computer system and not the ones that do not require computer to be on in order to function aka Exrenal TV-Tuner boxes , MMI will have a small converter in the original package from MMI to AV to be precise in case you wanna attach external device such as standalone DVD, camera or VCD player... devices like that....
The cheapest options will be Not the Pinnnacle but any Tv tuner card internal basically look for conexant fusion chip on the tv tunet card or BT2738 chip , conexant Fusion was welll capable of handling this job, all the major cards from pixel view, Pinaccle, Mercury, Intex used this chip about year or two back ......
So man look for an old tv-tuner card will be available for a low as 300 bucks to 700 bucks... depending on your haggle capacity of course.... some guys are selling at forums and othersites too....
-------------------------------------------
One thing more i forgot to add last time that even an RF cable that is used to connect VCR to TV can be used .... for this purpose....
now the RF cable will go in the TV tuner jack where you plug in cable connection or antenna. Tune the TV tuner card to recieve the VCR output on computer... and man i am dead sure all the Tuner cards have antenna input....
Now for DVR's source becomes TV and start capturing .
Experiment a little bit... to get the correct volume level though...
THe quality will not be as great as AV or S video but as far as i remember will not be bad either.............. just 19 instead or 20....

One more thing if you get an old tuner card the softwares and the cards were not that power hungry back then and prasie that they were not intelligent like softwares of latest tuner cards that will drop frames whenever you will have tracking or bad reel in VHS so much that you end up getting 50min recording for 1 hrs VHS play... That will suck man...

So get looking for old tuner card with conexant fusion or BT2738 chipset.....

and you willl just do fine.........
Peace
Raj

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom