vBulletin 3.8.x vs 4.1.x

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
All right. Many members were talking about upgrading to the newer vBulletin version.

I'm starting this thread to know about the advantages/disadvantages from the user point of view. I think most of you are on multiple forums so tell us about what is new in vB 4.1.

Let us have a discussion on this - should we stay with vB 3.8.x or move onto vB 4.1.x

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
I don't know any other reason but for at least get a good theme, please change it to vB 4.1

Krow somewhere said that there a lot of themes available for 4.1 rather than 3.8.x and it is cool. May be we can give it a try.

Last edited:

Krow

Crowman
Advanced Quick Reply is available for vBulletin 4 I think.

Interesting read: 1 Yr Later: Is vB4 Better than vB 3.8? - vBulletin.org Forum

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
No major difference has occurred to me except for look and feel. User experience does not greatly affected by upgrading to v4

Krow

Crowman
Also, from what I have read here and there, IPB seems to be better than vB, but I guess moving to IPB is not an option for us at all.

J

Joker

one very handy feature is "quick reply" just after u read someones post. u dont have to scroll down for the box.

Krow

Crowman
There are equally passionate voices on both sides for vB 3.8 and 4. TE has moved to vB 4 and they are doing fine. We can too I hope. :)

Quite a lot of mods and styles available, mostly with active support.

The Conqueror

Elevating Humanity
I will repeat the feature list :
Key features and improvements that are included in the vBulletin 4 release are:
-Cross-content search system providing a single interface to search across forum posts, blog entries and comments and other supported products
-Improved search performance
-A fresh design and layout making use of semantic markup and CSS styling
-An enhanced style and template system to enhance your ability to change the layout
-Controls to assist with the placement of advertising elements
-SEO features, including friendly URLs
-A centralized attachment system, allowing the sharing of attachments across products

SEO Features, and improved search performance is a must. You will be able to better place advertising elements.
It is MORE Stable than this one, and we won't encounter database related errors frequently. IMO vBulletin 3.6 was stable and this 3.8 has created a lot of trouble. So we better upgrade to 4

Last edited:
It is time for us to upgrade to V4 . I dont post much in TE but I like it how it looks and fell now .

Time for an Upgrade .

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Yup, I vote for Move to vB 4. And yes, Tapatalk is a must now.

And a forum structure revamp will really help us. There are many things which need to be fixed now.

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
ico...I do not know why you aren't admin anymore. But can't you PM someone from admin team to convey the message regarding tapatalk?

Top Bottom