Vaio SVS15116GNB VS Dell New! Inspiron 15R Special Edition

HI All,
Want to buy a laptop but confused :-? with these two laptops.Please put some light on it.

SVS15116GN : S Series : VAIO Laptop & Computer : Sony India

VS

New! Inspiron 15R Special Edition Laptop Details | Dell India

Sony:

Intel Core i7-3612QM Processor 2.10 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.10 GHz
HDD: 750 GB (Serial ATA, 5400 rpm)
NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M LE 2 GB
Full HD 1920x1080 display with Anti-reflective glossy finish & IPS panel
15.5 (39.37 cms)
4 GB-1333 MT/s
Weight:2kg
Price : 80K Incl. Tax

Here Graphics Card is on lower side :sad:
RAM 1333MT/S :sad:
The price is also high :sad:

Dell

3rd Generation Intel Core i7-3612QM Processor (6MB cache, up to 3.1 GHz)
15.6" HD WLED True-Life (1366x768) - ICC
4GB3 DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz
1.0TB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
Video Card AMD Radeon HD 7730M DDR3 2GB - ICC
Weight:2.76kg
Price : 56K Excl. Tax

No Full HD :sad:
No Num Keys :sad:
No Backlit :sad:

By the above specs i like the vaio because of Full HD , Num keys and Backlit keys.

By reading previous posts here now am confused weather i should by one of these laptop or i should wait some more time for laptops that yet to come :-?.
Please Provide Some info.

Regards
Arun

OP
A

arunkumarsethi

Broken In
I use system mainly for :
- SAP Programming (So Num Key r always handy)
- Play Games both in PC and FB
- Browse whenever get time.

girishpaiv

Journeyman
BTW Dell has backlit option @ .9k
Only advantage sony has is the FHD screen ....test it out(15'' 1080p vs 15'' 720p) yourself n see if it really matters to you..which depends also on your usage.:|
In the rest specs 15r SE wins!!! :)
I dont give importance to these num key bcos i plan to plug a usb Flexible keyboard (~.3k) to my lap which is also very portable.:-o

perplexed

Journeyman
The biggest difference is weight here..

former is only 2KG and latter is 2.75 KG. 2KG with 15" and FULL HD is a definite winner.

randomuser111

Technomancer
@OP

I understand the fact that you are looking at both and hence you made the comparison but both are very different machines and do not compete with each other.

The Vaio S15 is a higher end light and portable desktop replacement notebook with an IPS screen, whereas the 15R is a normal 15 incher mid entry level notebook.

But as others mentioned. Get the one that matches your needs. The Vaio is expensive for a few reasons that I mentioned above.

girishpaiv

Journeyman
The biggest difference is weight here..

former is only 2KG and latter is 2.75 KG. 2KG with 15" and FULL HD is a definite winner.

This difference is weight is the big reason for high price that all vaios have even though they hav weaker components.
I dont move much around with my lap ,it will mostly be on a table in my hostel room :p ..so i dont care much abt weight ...If you travel more n portability is more important than performance then choose vaio for this factor.

far

Keep Going!
looks and portability of vaio with Full HD is irresistable..but has weaker components like you have already mentioned..
If you look for performance minus Full HD ..then go for Dell..else...
you can wait on the new hp models to be released with competitive config with Dell ans Sony...

your call

OP
A

arunkumarsethi

Broken In
According to the replays ,Looks like Dell is a good option for me n am also thinking the same, but few things am worried about is

- What if dell comes up with Full HD after few days as its available in other countries. (Shall i wait for few more days)
- What about Special Edition, r they going to stop this machine after few months (thats what Special Edition means i think)
- Dell not launched XPS models yet

On the other hand Sony meet my every requirement except Graphic Card.

Now am really Confused :-?

Help Guys :cry: :cry:

perplexed

Journeyman
looks and portability of vaio with Full HD is irresistable..but has weaker components like you have already mentioned..
If you look for performance minus Full HD ..then go for Dell..else...
you can wait on the new hp models to be released with competitive config with Dell ans Sony...

your call

say what ? I was planning on the VAIO model.. noooo :shock:

In what way are Vaio components weak ?

#sorry to hijack the thread :p

far

Keep Going!
say what ? I was planning on the VAIO model.. noooo :shock:

In what way are Vaio components weak ?

#sorry to hijack the thread :p

Hmm..I own a VAIO ...I Know how you feel..Weaker Graphics and RAM is only 1333 ..thats what I meant..
For that price if you want to just ignore the graphics and go with the FULL HD and portability..if its what matters more to you than the graphics.. go for VAIO... :)

Last edited:

josin

In the zone
reading is a bit difficult on a full hd 15" screeen. it is even difficult on 22" as ive seen. If you are a heavy internet surfer dont choose a 15" full hd.

Empirial

Youngling
Hi,
Sony Vaio may have a 1333MHz Ram & lower clocked GT640M LE GPU but seriously you won't feel a day & night difference using a machine with 1600Mhz & 1333Mhz Ram. Also, I believe that GT640M LE can be overclocked to perform like a full fledge GT640M GPU. Pls note that Sony Vaio is a Premium brand so its obvious that the pricing will be higher.

rider

as Kratos
Hi,
Sony Vaio may have a 1333MHz Ram & lower clocked GT640M LE GPU but seriously you won't feel a day & night difference using a machine with 1600Mhz & 1333Mhz Ram. Also, I believe that GT640M LE can be overclocked to perform like a full fledge GT640M GPU. Pls note that Sony Vaio is a Premium brand so its obvious that the pricing will be higher.

GT 640M LE is 20% downgraded version of original GT 640M. And it is a laptop not a desktop, you can't OC that much and OC is not recommended on laptops, its totally unsafe.
If you looking for playing latest games in medium or high settings, don't expect from vaio laptops, they are not made for it. They are good for watching movies, editing and other high performing stuffs.
For gaming expects no one can beat new inspiron special editions, till now.
Dell is also going to give option of 1080p LED screen soon in customization, so better to wait.

randomuser111

Technomancer
^
Well yes nicely summed up. If your main aim is gaming, then VAIO is not the best choice :)

VAIO notebooks are not meant for gamers.

perplexed

Journeyman
^ But we can still play games on it once in a while ? In decent enough settings ? Plz don't say no..

Actually looks, portability and Full HD is higher priority for me actually..

Plz drop in your suggestions in the thread..
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/laptops-netbooks/158882-new-laptop-help-thanks-advance.html

Thanks a lot..

randomuser111

Technomancer
^@rider
All cool man :).
And this time I support you :p Cuz what you said is right. VAIO notebooks are not for gamers.

^ But we can still play games on it once in a while ? In decent enough settings ? Plz don't say no..

Actually looks, portability and Full HD is higher priority for me actually..

Plz drop in your suggestions in the thread..
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/laptops-netbooks/158882-new-laptop-help-thanks-advance.html

Thanks a lot..

Well of course you can play games on it. But what rider (and me too) mean is that for someone who wants to buy a laptop solely for the purpose of gaming, should look at other brands and not Sony.

But of course you CAN play games, I mean the 640M LE is not a weak card at all. Its more powerful than most cards you were getting in this range last year.

rider

as Kratos
GT 640M LE is almost as good as previous generation Radeon HD 6750M. Okay to play new games in low settings with 1920x1080 resolution.

Top Bottom