Vaio SVS15116GNB VS Dell New! Inspiron 15R Special Edition

randomuser111

Technomancer
^
Well more like 6770M as Notebookcheck expects performance to be similar to GT635M/GT555M. And GT555M was a hair better than 6770M

rider

as Kratos
^
Well more like 6770M as Notebookcheck expects performance to be similar to GT635M/GT555M. And GT555M was a hair better than 6770M

GT 555M use to come in pricey alienware 14x and almost same performance as HD 6770M. But both are much better than GT 640M LE.
Class wise Rankings:
*img18.imageshack.us/img18/5761/dwsdw.jpg

As I said HD 6750M and GT 640M LE are having same performance.

randomuser111

Technomancer
^
Read this

"Due to a clock speed of just 500 MHz, the gaming performance of the GeForce GT 640M LE should be about 20 percent below the 640M. This would be the same level as the GT 635M or the GT 555M. The performance is exceptionally good in shader-heavy DirectX 11 games and benchmarks. However, the 128-Bit memory interface can be a bottleneck if DDR3 graphics memory is used. Demanding games of 2011 like Battlefield 3 will be playable in 1366x768 and medium settings."

NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M LE - Notebookcheck.net Tech

3DMark11 P GPU Score

AMD6770M - 1327
GT 640M LE - 1590

rider

as Kratos
^
Read this

"Due to a clock speed of just 500 MHz, the gaming performance of the GeForce GT 640M LE should be about 20 percent below the 640M. This would be the same level as the GT 635M or the GT 555M. The performance is exceptionally good in shader-heavy DirectX 11 games and benchmarks. However, the 128-Bit memory interface can be a bottleneck if DDR3 graphics memory is used. Demanding games of 2011 like Battlefield 3 will be playable in 1366x768 and medium settings."

NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M LE - Notebookcheck.net Tech

I know man, it has been written before launch with rumors and all, see in writing they use would be or will not is or has. Also they have written:
Watch out: Following rumors, there will also be a Fermi-based version (96 shaders, 762 MHz, DDR3/GDDR5, similar to 550M/555M) with a probably higher power consumption than the Kepler variant.

Battlefield is playable in 1366x768 with medium settings and performance would not that great if he will play in native resolution that is 1920x1080.

That list has been updated properly, and more trustful.

In 3D mark site benchmarks all are almost same. But spec wise 6770M is the best. (that list in according to it)

*img823.imageshack.us/img823/5701/ssscxw.jpg

randomuser111

Technomancer
^
Well yeah so the 640M LE isn't bad at all. :) And not to mention it can also be overclocked quite nicely on the S15.

I'll get some numbers of the 640M LE overclocked in the S15 soon.

rider

as Kratos
Though it is a 2012 model but comes in stand with 2011 models. It is okay but playing in 1920x1080 resolution comes out to be in low settings as I said. And doing OC in laptop is dangerous like doing coitus without protection. :p

randomuser111

Technomancer
Though it is a 2012 model but comes in stand with 2011 models. It is okay but playing in 1920x1080 resolution comes out to be in low settings as I said. And doing OC in laptop is dangerous like doing coitus without protection. :p

Yes but remember its a thin and light ultra portable 15 incher and not a gaming/mainstream 15 incher :wink:
And not to mention the difference in screen quality vs other mainstream 15 inch notebooks and the IPS on the S15 is MUCH larger than the difference in Gaming performance.

And well about the OC, of course you can't OC a LOT but slight overclocking is harmless on most machines ( I am talking specifically about OC on Vaio notebooks)

Still, for gaming get the Inspiron 15R SE with AMD7730m ! Much cheaper and better gaming performance.

Where is HP this year btw ? Last year DV6 lineup was great for gamers in a budget. Wonder what they will come up with this year.

Any info Mr.Rider ? ;)

Last edited:

rider

as Kratos
Yes but remember its a thin and light ultra portable 15 incher and not a gaming/mainstream 15 incher :wink:

And well about the OC, of course you can't OC a LOT but slight overclocking is harmless on most machines ( I am talking specifically about OC on Vaio notebooks)

I've sapphire trixx software that can OC very much. But I don't use it satisfied with HD 6770M performance in 1366x768 resolution games with Directx11 and medium settings.

randomuser111

Technomancer
^
I edited my previous post so kindly reply to that as well :p. About what HP is gonna offer. Even though I am not much of a fan of HP, I do like their Envy line. The Envy 15 in fact has same screen as the Vaio S15. ( Very same LG IPS panel on both) but with better GPU but is slightly more heavy. The 2011 Envy 15 is available in India I believe but no IPS FHD screen for India :(

rider

as Kratos
^
I edited my previous post so kindly reply to that as well :p. About what HP is gonna offer. Even though I am not much of a fan of HP, I do like their Envy line. The Envy 15 in fact has same screen as the Vaio S15. ( Very same LG IPS panel on both) but with better GPU but is slightly more heavy. The 2011 Envy 15 is available in India I believe but no IPS FHD screen for India :(

hp india launched first ivy bridge laptop dv6-7012tx in india very early witn GT 630M. Now they are updating new ivy bridges with 35W power consumption and GT 650M soon like they launched in US. :razz:

rider

as Kratos
Yes, check hp usa website there are two option GT 630M and GT 650M. :mrgreen:

Expected 70k. There will be 1080p model also.

OP
A

arunkumarsethi

Broken In
What about the heat problem in HP laptops . R they solved in new one.

My first laptop was HP and after that i brought a HP DV4 laptop for my friend we both have same heat problem .

rider

as Kratos
good to tell you that heating issue has been fixed by hp by an innovative coolsense technology, by which temp of the laptop remain under 75*C in high performance gaming in my sandy bridge laptop. Also the ivy bridge processors are cool hardly gets above 70*C.

Vaio is nice, but don't expect high performance gaming with it.

OP
A

arunkumarsethi

Broken In
Hi All
Thanks for the valuable suggestions, i think vaio is the good option for me as per my requirement(Coz as i said am a programmer and backlit n numkeys r always handdy :-o). Am planning to wait few more days, if HP shows up with some thing good ones as the heating problem is already solved . Otherwise i will go for Vaio .

I like Dell too but the backlit options r available in customizing option so i have to buy it online. As am buying it through Bajaj Finance option i can buy it from any retail only (Like -Pai International,-Girias,-Ezone). So can't go for online shopping :cry:.

Few days back i talked with Pai International guy in Bangalore about Vaio, he told he can get me the laptop in 1 day if i give some 2k advance as its a costly laptop. And if i opt for finance then i have to pay 30k down payment and rest in 12 months EMI with 7% interest which is fine with me.:razz:

Top Bottom