Utility of 10 dBi wireless wifi antenna

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
I had purchased a 10dBi wireless wifi High Gain Booster WLAN RP-SMA Omni directional antenna from ebay.
Now can I use this with Tp-Link TD-W8951ND 150Mbps Wireless N ADSL2 Modem/Router,by opening up the default stock 5dBi antenna and attach the 10dBi one?

What will be the utility?
I mean ,will the coverage area limit OR strength of signal OR both will increase?:shock:

Any idea friends?
[MENTION=126812]whitestar_999[/MENTION],are you listening???

OP
kg11sgbg

kg11sgbg

both should increase.
Well,that's the assurance.
Now I have to purchase the TP-LINK TD-W8951ND...albeit, after some couple of months.Otherwise the environment in my House will get disturbed with a perturbing effect..........................................:-x:pan:

Thanks [MENTION=145143]SaiyanGoku[/MENTION]...

OP
kg11sgbg

kg11sgbg

why W8951ND when W8961ND & W8968 are available for a few hundred rupees more?

Surely,what you have suggested has 300Mbps N wireless range.
Just a query,mate, can I attach the 10dBi antenna at one point(replacing the stock) and keep the other stock omni-directional antenna?
Mean to say,won't there be any sort of signal interference? Any issues between 2 different antennas of different strength?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
i read this & it seems that for normal usage conditions using a single high gain/dbi antenna is better than using it with a lower gain antenna,you can always experiment though to see which works best for you.
*supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11543171/what-happens-when-ap-has-two-different-gain-antennas

OP
kg11sgbg

kg11sgbg

^ Thanks for the link [MENTION=126812]whitestar_999[/MENTION]
In that case the TP-Link W8951ND 150Mbps N Wireless wifi will be a better choice,if I want to use the 10dBi antenna.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
not exactly.if you want more bandwidth in future than 300mbps(W8961 has it) will come in handy & using a 3g usb modem(W8968 support it) may become attractive if reliance new 999 3g UL plan became successful but even without that it is a good backup connection for times when broadband is down.

OP
kg11sgbg

kg11sgbg

not exactly.if you want more bandwidth in future than 300mbps(W8961 has it) will come in handy & using a 3g usb modem(W8968 support it) may become attractive if reliance new 999 3g UL plan became successful but even without that it is a good backup connection for times when broadband is down.
Well informed advisory fact.
But,Friend what to do with the 10dBi antenna,if I go in for TP-Link TD-W8916ND 300 Mbps Wifi wireless adsl2+ modem/router?

OP
kg11sgbg

kg11sgbg

all these models come with detachable antennas so you can use it with any of these.
But my Friend,admittedly the 300Mbps models are superior and future proof on the long run.What I meant is that in the 300Mbps modls,there are 2 antennas(detachable). What happens if I keep the device as 10dBi + 5dBi antenna configuration? Won't there be interference or issues? As per your link,the discussion says that devices with 2 or more antennas should have similar or same configuration of the antennas.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why does it matter if you are getting the same performance with single 10dbi antenna?just keep 2nd antenna as backup piece.

OP
kg11sgbg

kg11sgbg

Why does it matter if you are getting the same performance with single 10dbi antenna?just keep 2nd antenna as backup piece.

Please,explain the arrangement.
Suppose I use the 300Mbps adsl2+ wireless WiFi modem/ router.Do I attach the single 10dBi antenna and open up the other 5dBi antenna and keep aside(in that case both the 5dBi antennas are kept aside)?
Or I attach as 10dBi + 5dBi antenna configuration for the 300Mbps wireless WiFi modem/router? [MENTION=126812]whitestar_999[/MENTION], please help me in this regard,friend.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
first keep both 5 dbi antennas aside & see how it works.If it works fine then no issue else add one 5dbi antenna.btw i forgot about the another antenna in 300mbps model hence your confusion.

OP
kg11sgbg

kg11sgbg

first keep both 5 dbi antennas aside & see how it works.If it works fine then no issue else add one 5dbi antenna.btw i forgot about the another antenna in 300mbps model hence your confusion.
That is the point,mate.
If I attach one 10dBi antenna at one point and other 5dBi antenna at another point,won't there be interference?
I mean 2 dissimilar antennas,won't they give rise to problems?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Theoretically there are many possibilities depending on design of the house,no. & type of devices connecting etc so best way is to see for yourself by experimenting,you have nothing to lose as you have already bought 10dbi antenna.

OP
kg11sgbg

kg11sgbg

Theoretically there are many possibilities depending on design of the house,no. & type of devices connecting etc so best way is to see for yourself by experimenting,you have nothing to lose as you have already bought 10dbi antenna.
Thank You Friend,for your assurance.
I have to go by "Trial-n-Error" method it seems.

OP
kg11sgbg

kg11sgbg

[MENTION=126812]whitestar_999[/MENTION], just a query :-->
If I buy THIS WIRELESS USB ADAPTER, can I use the 10dBi detachable antenna and use it to connect in wireless mode to my Laptop/Tablet?
Please explain if that is possible,otherwise state that it is not possible for connection.

Top Bottom