Utility of 10 dBi wireless wifi antenna

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
It should work but using a higher gain antenna mainly as a receiver(usb wifi) instead of using as a transmitter(wifi router) is a waste of its capability.

OP
kg11sgbg

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
I got you and understood the principle...
Shall be buying a modem+ router.

OP
kg11sgbg

kg11sgbg

[MENTION=126812]whitestar_999[/MENTION], I have attached the 10dBi high gain wireless antenna to my TP-Link TG-W8951ND 150 Mbps Wireless N ADSL2+ Modem /Router,and keeping aside the 5dBi antenna that came with the product.
Everything is functioning good.

Now, I had purchased a Netis WF2119S Wireless N USB Adapter 150Mbps Transfer Speed DBi Detachable,which is having a 5dBi detachable antenna.
If I use this Netis antenna with my Laptop(DELL Inspiron 14 5447),will there be any issues as the two antennas are different in model,make & strength?
The transmitter being the high gain 10dBi antenna,and the receiver being the low gain 5dBi antenna.

In that case do I need to disable the onboard(inbuilt) wifi module of the Laptop,if I use the Netis one?
Please Help,friend, as I am bewildered.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
laptop usually works as receiver & high dbi antennas are more suited as transmitters,attaching more powerful antenna to laptop shouldn't make much difference as its working as receiver but try for yourself.

OP
kg11sgbg

kg11sgbg

laptop usually works as receiver & high dbi antennas are more suited as transmitters,attaching more powerful antenna to laptop shouldn't make much difference as its working as receiver but try for yourself.

Actually what I mean is,the Netis 5dBi antenna is to be attached to the Laptop as a receiver.
The Comfast 10dBi high gain antenna is already attached to my TP-Link TG-W8951ND 150 Mbps Wireless N ADSL2+ Modem/Router as a transmitter.

Will there be any issues between 5dBi receiver <----> 10dBi transmitter setup???
That was my query.

OP
kg11sgbg

kg11sgbg

Thank you friend.
I received my Netis 5 dBi antenna from ebay,through DTDC just now at office.DTDC really made a 2 day delivery from the seller at PUNE.
Rock on DTDC.
Again I thank you friend for the assurance.
Shall let you know if any issue arises.

- - - Updated - - -

Issue has arised :--->

After running the driver CD that came with the antenna,all the drivers were installed properly except the last one may be a pop up message

Now installing Cisco EAP-FAST
Which is running indefinitely.......................................................................................................................................................

Help me Friend, [MENTION=126812]whitestar_999[/MENTION]

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
doesn't seem like a feature one would use in such setups so i suggest skipping it.you can later try windows update to see if it can find driver for this cisco eap-fast.

OP
kg11sgbg

kg11sgbg

doesn't seem like a feature one would use in such setups so i suggest skipping it.you can later try windows update to see if it can find driver for this cisco eap-fast.

No way of skipping it in installer program...

Reading this for a possible solution :--->

How do I install CISCO EAP-FAST on my computer? - EAP blog - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

- - - Updated - - -

Ran the Windows Updates,and issue seems to be gone...fixed.

Top Bottom