Using LCD monitor as tv ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edburg

In the zone
Our family were looking to buy a LCD to replace our 10 yr old CRT....but even >32" cost >50k....:(

so bro suggested to buy 29" CRT...but it wud be bulky..

so i thought seeing 24" Full HD monitors for ~20-25k......what was better about 20" LCD tv for 20k compared to these ???:confused:

AFAIK 1) Monitors have higher resolutions
2) TVs have built in tv tuners...(which as i have set top box wont be needing)
3) TVs have overscan issues
4) as long as TVs are <8 bit panel(which only uber expensive ones have higher) the display quality is same as monitor(i am just assuming this..not sure) btw how many bit panel are in monitors ??

So what makes a tv expensive is there are many adv in monitors ???
Is it advisable to use monitor as TV ??

Searched web and this forum...but not enough suggestions..

please advice me on this...for a price of 20-25k..i was looking for 24" dell HDs

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
You said you searched the forum then how'd u missed this detailed thread?
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94324

OP
Edburg

Edburg

In the zone
^^seeing the title it seems a whole different scenario...connecting Tv to a PC...

mine is more like TV vs Monitor....as i see more advantages for monitor,then why are TVs priced more expensive ??

also can a monitor substitute a TV ???

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
If you watch TV using a regular cable connection,no matter what you buy, LCD TV or Monitor, image is going to be fuzzy. If u use DTH services like Tata Sky, Image is going to be marginally different but discernible. Now if you use a Monitor as a TV, u'll have to get either an external or Internal TV tuner card and Digital one if u use DTH services. Moreover u'll also have to compromise on ur PC as ur folks might wanna watch a movie or their daily soap. TV on the other hand provides all the support for Cable or DTH but while using it as a Display for PC ur resolution options are limited and if u intend to use Linux then Resolution is going to be a problem, a bit.

OP
Edburg

Edburg

In the zone
thx for the reply...

but i will get atleast the quality that i get in my CRT at present right ??

then since i use a set top box i think i dont need a tuner card...also my PC is nearby the tv and the MB supports 2 simultaneous displays....

and also can any one tell why the hell the TVs are priced more than monitors when the later has adv as i have posted before ??

acewin

Point Blanc
@plasma there is something called dual monitor(especially Dell and HP).
Most of LCD monitors support this.
So, if Edburg thinks having his new monitor attached to the system in dual monitor mode he can easily work out on his system.

I also donot really understand that part as to why TVs are more costlier.
But I can say because of better features, inbuilt sound, good reception for the purpose.(everything is already built in)
Also I think both LCD monitors and LCD TVs are priced equally.
If you do not believe me try a little searching for 19 -26 inch LCD TVs.

The ones you see are really high priced are not 20 inch but above 26 inches and we generally see 32 inches LCD in display in showrooms which come in 50K, have u checked the prices of 27 and 30 inch Dell or HP monitors(costs more than 50K).

Most computer monitors have lower contrast ratio(if you check TVs for watching DVD and HD movies) check the displays with real 720p or 1080p movies on those HD TVs and you will understand. If our computer monitors would ahve been really that good(Dell and HP makes), I would ahve seen an HP monitor instead in any of the offices for big displayes. Unlike that I see Hitachi 50 inch LCD displays(which we generally would call a TV).

@Edburg, just for watching TV transmission whether from DTH like Tata sky or DishTV or cables 22-24 inch monitors will be good, just you would need extra speakers(even 2.1 speakers will suffice). Any Dell or HP 24 inch monitors would be equivalent to same as any LCD TV, and will give you double benefit. So after most of the part is over I really do not like calling LCD monitor or TV, I would better simply call them LCD displays as all

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy
Who said TVs are costlier? A 30" LCD monitor costs like a lac. A 37 inch LCD TV costs 46k. Unfortunately though, TVs make for horrible computer monitors. Anyway, if you find a monitor to be cheaper than a TV, then by all means go for it.

acewin

Point Blanc
we do not have computer monitors in our reach, but 24 inch monitors from Dell or HP are real good add to it full HD resolution, which in any general LCD TV would come only in sizes above 32 inch and they costing more than 50K.

Just for watching TV channels any of our computer monitors are real good enough. Especially monitors which have high contrast ratios like 10000:1(this is not a marketting gimick as some would call but in fact they are for movies and all not for our games and general work, general contrast ratio is still 1000 or 2000 max in all monitors

OP
Edburg

Edburg

In the zone
so TVs have only better contrast ratios....compared to all other benefits of monitors...but that may be a crucial fact....

i understand that prices of LCDs rise exponentially with size...i see samsung 22" TVs at 20k whereas samsung 22" monitors are for 13k....so in lower end monitors are better and TVs in higher end...

thx guys for your time....i understood about this...

so if i choose a 22" or 24" dell full HD monitor,it would be a better than a similar TV except for the contrast ratio part right ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom