Useless SMSes

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
These days I'm receiving stupid SMSes regarding Sauna Belt, Property etc. I want to get rid of them completely. How?

Some are from LM-Property blah blab and some are from regular numbers. I'm ready to take police action too if the need arises. I called up one number and abused told the m'fer to stop sending me stupid messages.

PS: Don't suggest DnD.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
Probably you cannot do anything about this. All our numbers get compromised. Mostly they are from vendors where we give out numbers. Example, loans, banks (for accounts), purchasing hardware equipment (delivery of item point). I receive around 20-25 such messages per day, including weekends. They start at exactly 10:30 AM and continue till 9:30 PM. The worst part is, if you move to roaming the smss' stop, but as soon as you enter the home network, the whole influx is bombarded from the switch storage to the hand-held.

Make it a point not to give out your number unless it is absolutely necessary. Things are so bad, that my salary account bank -- gave out my office desk phone, since I mentioned it initially. I started getting calls on that too. :( But it is way less compared to my cell.

My number is like 12 years old, so is big time exploited.

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
yaar apart from DND I do not see any solution. What happened to the whitelist TRAI proposed? Which meant only those can send you SMSs who are in your white list.

When I was registered under DND I didn't receive any BS calls/SMSs but now, same as asingh, 25-30 useless SMSs and around 15 calls.

soumo27

→|Requiescat| |in| |Pace|
yah I get atleast 20/30 sms a day from LM/DM/TD etc....bank loan, property, sales :( :x

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
^^ Same here. Even SMSs like "Do you need college girl?" WTF... :mad:

BTW, i wonder who gave our numbers to these sh1theads....

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
BTW, i wonder who gave our numbers to these sh1theads....

1. Financial Institutions (banks / loan agents).
2. Marketing schemers -- when you fill a survey say at a mall/store.
3. Service Providers -- (BB, DTH, cellular).
4. F&B establishments -- filling out CC forms.
5. Websites/portals -- specially sales driven sites.
6. Product Sales -- insurance policies/mutual funds.
7. Vendor Shop -- example you go to see some gym equipment and leave your contact details behind. Car show rooms -- for call back.

Tenida

Gadget Freak
Earlier I received about 40-50 sms and frequent call from them advertisement company or others.Then i subscribed to DND service.Now i don't get any call/sms from Sauna Belt, Property etc.:D.I am free now

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
lately, i have been receiving calls from all insurance companies asking me to renew my car insurance from them. how the heck they know that my car insurance is expiring this month!!! this kind of privacy breach annoys me a lot because they would surely know my other details like car number, address etc...

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
Its a problem we all face... All these mass-marketing websites have come up which specialize in mass SMS campaigning. Government should outlaw this.

Whenever I receive a spam cal or SMS, I immediately block it using Mr. Number software from my Android phone... But some of these messages cannot be blocked because they are not even numbers... I wonder why phone companies allow SMS to be sent from non-phone numbers...

So, just keep blocking to make sure these SMSes and calls are down to a trickle...

Cheers!

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
lately, i have been receiving calls from all insurance companies asking me to renew my car insurance from them. how the heck they know that my car insurance is expiring this month!!! this kind of privacy breach annoys me a lot because they would surely know my other details like car number, address etc...
Because the insurance vendor you sought the original insurance from, sold off your number. Such DBs are usually sold to social engineering portals/services for ~ RS1.5 per row entry.

Its a problem we all face... All these mass-marketing websites have come up which specialize in mass SMS campaigning. Government should outlaw this.

Whenever I receive a spam cal or SMS, I immediately block it using Mr. Number software from my Android phone... But some of these messages cannot be blocked because they are not even numbers... I wonder why phone companies allow SMS to be sent from non-phone numbers...

So, just keep blocking to make sure these SMSes and calls are down to a trickle...

Cheers!

There is a big talk about this and complete ban, or strict no-call/contact lists. But the lobbyist nature of companies, singing that it employs around 1M people deters the government from passing of such a law. Honestly it is a pathetic situation.

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
are on 5800?
if you are then there's a good app uspam you can buy it..(hope i remember correctly)
it easily blocks.... all these sms's ...

Sarath

iDota
After registering with DND the influx went down to zero. Now I get shopper stop alerts and some airtel ones rarely. Using for 4years now. Never give my number to anyone.

I am not sure if an FIR of that degree will be seriously taken but you can surely try and blacklist them.

salvachn

Broken In
I am being spammed by my service provider Aircel Kolkata - 5 calls and 25-30 texts a day. DND doesn't seem to have any effect. It's a fairly new number - less than 2 months old and is already being spammed!

Krow

Crowman
I use Handcent sms on my Android phone and blacklist these numbers/messages. I am on DnD too, but I get a few smses or calls. Not very annoying yet.

My last experience was: I received call from a female agent offering credit card, I told her to send the agent at my place. After rolling the agent for 1 hour telling him the location of my house wrongly :D, he finally visited.

While he was explaining the credit card features etc I was like checking twitter, facebook. He wasn't well prepared for questions from a frustrated man like me who receive such calls every day. He finally called the female agent to explain more details to me and transferred his phone to me, and after wasting 30 mins with that female rep, I said alright I am not interested. The agent who visited my place was like WTF wish I could take a picture of that guy to share with you guys :D

From that day, I haven't received any credit card calls. :D

Like they make us suffer, make them suffer. Ask sauna slim belt reps to come home, and when they come with useless belt tell them you changed your mind. If he calls again after few days, do the same and I am sure they will stop bothering you.

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
My last experience was: I received call from a female agent offering credit card, I told her to send the agent at my place. After rolling the agent for 1 hour telling him the location of my house wrongly :D, he finally visited.

While he was explaining the credit card features etc I was like checking twitter, facebook. He wasn't well prepared for questions from a frustrated man like me who receive such calls every day. He finally called the female agent to explain more details to me and transferred his phone to me, and after wasting 30 mins with that female rep, I said alright I am not interested. The agent who visited my place was like WTF wish I could take a picture of that guy to share with you guys :D

From that day, I haven't received any credit card calls. :D

Like they make us suffer, make them suffer. Ask sauna slim belt reps to come home, and when they come with useless belt tell them you changed your mind. If he calls again after few days, do the same and I am sure they will stop bothering you.

good job.... even i kept her on hold every time , whenever she called i used to say i'm busy please hold... and then just leave her... the credit card company stopped calling..

one time i sang the safri duo song to her...... if you know safri duo you'll understand ;)

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
@ico: which service provider u use?
I use IDEA & had sent an SMS for DND..& it works for me...

but my Dad use dolphin...every weekend I have to delete all those spam messages from his inbox

Top Bottom