Use of Integrated GPU when discrete card is opted?

ajaymailed

In the zone
i had this doubt- people going for discrete card neither will need a integrated GPU in CPU or on Mobo.
So why not release CPUs & Mobos without graphics processor with reduced prices, so that people who are able to afford discrete card can opt for it.

why did mobos have IGPs in the first place? isn't it much more cuztomizable not to have IGPs and rather to choose discrete card as per ones requirements and budget.

i do hope graphic cores on future CPUs will work in tandem with discrete card to boost performance (much better than AMD APUs) otherwise its a waste of space in chip & money if discrete card is opted.

there will be performance battle between entry level discrete cards & CPUs having integrated GPUs. The best way to resolve it is if they are able to share the workload to enhance the performance.

Last edited:
OP
A

ajaymailed

In the zone
And what about those who can't afford discrete GPU..??
if Mobos does not come equipped with integrated GPU then simplest discrete cards will be possible with as low as 1000 rs. Todays cheapest discrete card are worth 1.5 to 2K.

As it will become must for every desktop, it will be produced in huge numbers, price will be low , it won't be difficult to make simpler ones for running OS & daily applications for 1K.

Mobos without GPU will be worth less, so it might not make a price difference at all for casual desktop users who didn't opt for discrete card.

Last edited:
OP
A

ajaymailed

In the zone
But do you think removing IGP would help lowering down the much of the cost..??
hopefully, otherwise industry might come up with solutions to produce even cheaper discrete cards. once they start mass produce it, they can lower the price to unbelievable levels. Currently the people opting for discrete card is like one in ten or even lower, hence the prices.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
No. Seriously I don't think removing a IGP will reduce prices of any motherboard. There is no extra power usage by the inactive GPU in current time. There will also be more confusion to what to buy and what not to.

Manufacturing prices may actually increase when 2 models of same thing will be made. Rs.1000 will never be reduced just by removing IGP.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
i had this doubt- people going for discrete card neither will need a integrated GPU in CPU or on Mobo.
So why not release CPUs & Mobos without graphics processor with reduced prices, so that people who are able to afford discrete card can opt for it.

1. there's CPU and mobos both from AMD and Intel without gfx but they are highly priced as they are mostly targeted to enthusiasts users and Intel has gfx on cpu as most of their cpu has quick sync tech ;-)

why did mobos have IGPs in the first place? isn't it much more cuztomizable not to have IGPs and rather to choose discrete card as per ones requirements and budget.

2. IGP can work as a fail safe option sometime and a lot of users are not interested in buying a gfx card as most of the modern IGP is capable enough for light gaming and HD movie watching which suits their needs very well.

i do hope graphic cores on future CPUs will work in tandem with discrete card to boost performance (much better than AMD APUs) otherwise its a waste of space in chip & money if discrete card is opted.

3. Implementing such technology and driver support for to work with any and every discrete gpu ain't a easy task .. ...

there will be performance battle between entry level discrete cards & CPUs having integrated GPUs. The best way to resolve it is if they are able to share the workload to enhance the performance.

4. The performance battle is more in High End gpu market rather than entry level discrete cards & CPUs having integrated GPUs - for reason look at ans. no. 2 ;-)

Sujeet

Undead!!!
Same as saying that every car in market should be ripped off of its stock rims and tyres so that cost of production will come down and buyers will have the choice to use the wheel set they like to use.

Above example Applies to anything undrr the sun which reads PRODUCT.

Make some sense buddy.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
well, not everyone needs a discrete card. Some people will be happy with on-board GPU but would rather want to use the PCIe slot for something else.

These days we are seeing shift to on-chip GPUs instead of on-board. I think it's good.

For Rs. 6000 - you have AMD A6-3650. 4 cores. yes, they are clocked low. It has a GPU as fast as HD 5570 if paired with decent RAM.

ideal for home and HT PCs. Runs games. CPU is fast enough for all basic tasks. The on-board GPU won't disappoint. i3-2100's on-board GPU might disappoint.

Everyone has different requirements.

Plus, if you look at sales of AMD and nVidia's low-end graphic cards. It has reduced. APUs are eating this market. And this will only get worse with Trinity. Not everyone needs a discrete graphic card.

They will. AMD is heading in that direction.

Top Bottom