USB to be 10 times faster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hustlerr

[Next-Gen]
The new ultra-fast USB 3.0 standard which should have a data transfer rate of 600mbps, developed by Intel, HP, Microsoft, NEC Corporation, NXP Semiconductors and Texas Instruments, is planned to launch early in 2008.

USB 3.0 will be backwards-compatible with older versions but will also be future-proofed for optical ability. It will furthermore be designed for lower power consumption and improved protocol efficiency.

Intel revealed yesterday that along with other industry leaders, it has formed the UBS 3.0 Promoter group to work together and get this technology out as quickly as possible.

The group was formed to develop this technology in the face of increasingly large file sizes moved around on a daily basis as digital media become ubiquitous.

Its predecessor, USB 2.0, has a data rate of 60mbps and was released in 2000 and announced as the new standard in 2001, with revisions made since this time, including the development of Micro-USB.

Jeff Ravencraft, technology strategist with Intel, said that the super-fast USB 3.0 standard is the “next logical step” for this form of wired connectivity.

“The digital era requires high-speed performance and reliable connectivity to move the enormous amounts of digital content now present in everyday life,” he said.

“USB 3.0 will meet this challenge while maintaining the ease-of-use experience that users have come to love and expect from any USB technology.”

Source: *www.siliconrepublic.com/news/...yid=single9245

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
yeah, read about usb 3.0

btw, i think its very irresponsible on the website's part to mess up bits and bytes. the current usb2.0 speeds is 60mBps not 60mbps.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
if its backwards compatible then usb2 devices will work on usb3 controllers at usb2 speeds and usb3 devices will work on usb2 controllers at usb2 speeds only.

casanova

The Frozen Nova
So, will we require a new mobo or just a new USB 3.0 controller will do. :confused:

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy
Well eSATA has already been introduced, so 3Gbps of reliable data transfer has already been made available. I just don't trust USB's claims of 4.8Gbps...

I guess it would be of help in cases other than HDDs...

fun2sh

Pawned!... Beyond GODLIKE
its never easy to catch us with latest technology. me thought my new is almost latest but now USB 3.0 :sad: it has always happened to me. wenever i purchased a new system a new tech has always popped us which make me feel that my system is OUTDATED

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
fun2sh said:
its never easy to catch us with latest technology. me thought my new is almost latest but now USB 3.0 :sad: it has always happened to me. wenever i purchased a new system a new tech has always popped us which make me feel that my system is OUTDATED

Oh plz, do u even use USB 2.0's speed completely. Feeling that the system is outdated is useless. People are still using 8 years old P3 computer in Cyber cafes cos they still work fine for the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom