USB problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

rohanbee

Padawan
Hi all
I just bough this UMAX usb pen drive 512mb, i have a 700mhz pc in my office with a usb replicator installed and it works fine with this new pen drive.....
However when i
use it in my new PC at home which is a pentium 3.0ghz HT mobo intel 915gav it shows that the usb is running at a slower speed??

How is this possible ? my new comp has almost the latest specs and enough of evrything but usb is slow?

Someone kindly explain.

stalin

Journeyman
If you have windows XP install SP2 and SP4 for Windows 2000 i think that could solve your problem.........

saROMan

QA Juggler
what exactly u mean by slower speed ????...also most of ne drives come with USB 2.0..so u sud get more speed on ur home pc than office.....plz mention the Transfer speed ur getting...

naveenpoddar

Journeyman
The problem is you are using a usb 2.0 pen drive which is also usb 1.1 backward compatiable so when you use in older pc it works in usb 1.1 . But when u plug in you drive in the newer system which has usb 2.0 compatiablity but is unable to work at that speed due to insufficient driver it gives the low speed msg.

This issue can be resolved only when you update your Window XP through internet or installed Service Pack.

OP
rohanbee

rohanbee

Padawan
saROMan said:
what exactly u mean by slower speed ????...also most of ne drives come with USB 2.0..so u sud get more speed on ur home pc than office.....plz mention the Transfer speed ur getting...

It just says that it is working at a speed slower than what it is capable off? so it means it is working at 1.1. But the funny thing is on my slower system it is working on 2.o and on my newer system (P-4, 512mb, 915gav) it says it is working slower??? :?

naveenpoddar said:
The problem is you are using a usb 2.0 pen drive which is also usb 1.1 backward compatiable so when you use in older pc it works in usb 1.1 . But when u plug in you drive in the newer system which has usb 2.0 compatiablity but is unable to work at that speed due to insufficient driver it gives the low speed msg.

This issue can be resolved only when you update your Window XP through internet or installed Service Pack.

Yes, i have already installed SP2 since a long time. And please read my first post u seem to have gotten it the wrong way around.

vasishtr

Right off the assembly line
I had the same problem..."usb is running at a slower speed"....
Just insert your motherboard CD, go to device manager...and update the drivers for your USB. If you point to your CD Drive, Windows wiill automatically pick up the best driver for your USB 2.0 ports. You can rightaway see the increase in speed...

hitesh_hg

Journeyman
the problem is not only of new or old PC..

normally the front USB are not USB 2.0 or they are disabled from bios.. first enable high speed usb from BIOS and then try to plug it in the rear USB ports..

Also the page where you receive "Slow USB" message ..it will display a number of High speed USB ports..if none are displayed problem is with drivers or BIOS

Hitesh

OP
rohanbee

rohanbee

Padawan
hitesh_hg said:
the problem is not only of new or old PC..

normally the front USB are not USB 2.0 or they are disabled from bios.. first enable high speed usb from BIOS and then try to plug it in the rear USB ports..

Also the page where you receive "Slow USB" message ..it will display a number of High speed USB ports..if none are displayed problem is with drivers or BIOS

Hitesh

Well im using the usb on the back of my desktop and they are on the latest intel 915gav board and the manual says they are 2.0 so i will try to install the drivers from my mobo cd. Will let you know the results tomorrow.

krishnathelord

In the zone
vasishtr said:
I had the same problem..."usb is running at a slower speed"....
Just insert your motherboard CD, go to device manager...and update the drivers for your USB. If you point to your CD Drive, Windows wiill automatically pick up the best driver for your USB 2.0 ports. You can rightaway see the increase in speed...

its is anwsered perfectly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom