Urgent Core i7 configuration required

Status
Not open for further replies.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
you read it? now please give me a summery :smile: i have to stop after reading 2-3 post. one told, a gaming GPU can be used & than a 2nd user told about the long time in rendering & the errors.

Piyush

Lanaya
^^
well looks like a gaming gpu can be used but the difference between gaming gpu and workstation gpu will be visible in terms of output

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
no problem sammy -
just read this example IMO -

Regarding mid-range CAD software (such as SolidWorks) and video cards, it is not a matter of performance (as in fast or slow), it is a matter of whether the software will even function.

A few years back I started at a company that was switching to SolidWorks, and hired specifically for that. When I accepted the offer, I told my new boss that if he wanted me to be productive he needed to provide a certified workstation sufficient to the task, or at least a computer built from certified components (I had a job in the past where I was hired to do work in Pro/E and was given a pathetic excuse of a computer that couldn't even open Pro/E let alone work in it--that box even had problems with Autocad--and I didn't want to be in that situation again).

My boss told me he would let me order what I wanted.

Well, when I actually started, he had let IT convince him that he really didn't need to spend $4000 on a workstation and there was this sub-$700 office computer on my desk instead, with an AMD processor and an ATI radeon video card. IT said they would upgrade the machine as needed.

3 months later, they caved and let me buy the certified workstation of my choice--dual core XEON (box had 2 cpu sockets, but I only opted for 1 cpu at the time since Solidworks didn't multi-thread that well back then) with a Quadro FX 1500 video card and dual monitors--the entire box was a SolidWorks certified workstation, and what a night-and-day difference comparing it to the disaster they first gave me. IT caved because they, as a department, were spending more time trying to get my box running than they did with the rest of the company combined--when they called for tech support the response they got was "call us back when your running on approved hardware and drivers."

Some of the problems I ran into included crashing every ten minutes, placed dimensions either not being displayed correctly or not being displayed at all (how can you pick a dimension to edit it if you can't even see it? Lots of guessing...), typing notes on drawings, going to get a cup of coffee, and coming back to a computer still updating the note on the screen o n e l e t t e r a t a t i m e . . . , incorrect display of shaded solids and hidden lines--parts would gradually corrupt with incorrect z-plane data until you could no longer tell what it was you were trying to model, and you had to reboot to correct the issue... It was a mess.

If you want to do real work in SolidWorks (or Inventor or Pro/E), make sure you are running with a tested/certified video card and the tested version of drivers. You will be able to play just about all older games, and newer games with some of the eye candy turned down a notch, but your CAD will be rock solid. When Half-life two came out, I played it at 1920x1200 on a Dell M70 laptop (SolidWorks certified mobile workstation with a quadro 1400m video card (similar to a 5xxx geforce card) with all the settings set to high, and I ran Solidworks with no issues or crashes.

If you want to play alot of games and do occasional CAD work plagued with all sorts of crashes, odd errors and corrupt models, get whatever gaming card you want--who knows, you might get lucky and find a card that does sort of okay with CAD modelling.

Not a fanboy here--I've had ATI and Nvidia cards that I've really liked, but when it comes to CAD, nvidia quadro all the way...

Jerin

Journeyman
My config for you is

Intel SandyBridge Corei7 2600 Rs 14900
Intel DH67CL Rs. 6,500
Corsair CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 4gb Rs2950
iBall Cabinet with Power Supply Rs 1900
BenQ E2200HD Rs 8700
Sapphire HD 5670 1GB Rs 5100
Segate 1TB HDD Rs 2700

Total is a Little over 40k but it will do your job. Also it will be future proof .

Jas Paji's config is also good.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
@ jerin

For an i7 2600 rig, you are recommending iball inbuilt psu? That is totally unsafe. There are much better options available. That 5670 won't help op in solidworks at all.

A vx450 is recommended here as suggested by jaskanwar.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
@jassy, i already read that comment. but in the end which is true. cause everyone have their own opinion. a gaming GPU will work on almost all CAD softwares but at what expense? or is it a safer bet to use a cheap workstation GPU. cause most can run games on a lowend GPU by lower details & resolution. a workstation GPU can't do anything with their apps. & if errors crept in, OP will face problem. so it must be a foolproof one. will a gaming GPU like GTX460 work in place of lowend workstation cards without any problem.

My config for you is

Intel SandyBridge Corei7 2600 Rs 14900
Intel DH67CL Rs. 6,500
Corsair CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 4gb Rs2950
iBall Cabinet with Power Supply Rs 1900
BenQ E2200HD Rs 8700
Sapphire HD 5670 1GB Rs 5100
Segate 1TB HDD Rs 2700

Total is a Little over 40k but it will do your job. Also it will be future proof.

are you sure it is futureproof? i can see nothing but a dead horse. your config is far from balanced (to get maximum performance) but near to a typical IED.

all the best with the comments that will follow.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
@ op

Go for firepro v4800@ 11k

Corsair vx450 @ 3.5k

Nzxt gamma cabinet @ 2k

Forget gaming though.

Jerin

Journeyman
^

Ok if he has the budget he can go for a CoolerMaster Elite 310 and a good PSU, so it will add another 3000 to the cost, so in total around 45000.

Also if he can go for Gigabyte or ASUS motherboard. But again it will add up to the cost.

But yes it is somewhat future proof. You can never make a completely future proof. But for the next 3-4 years he will be safe.

This is the best possible config at the moment ,at the given price. I am not sure about the graphics card but rest is fine.

Well ,Sam I don't know what's so bad in my configuration. It has the best processor and MB at the moment. Also the HDD, Monitor are all o.k. for the given budget.

GFX -go for Jas Paji's card and keep your current monitor as it is if you want to keep your budget the same.

Last edited:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Well ,Sam I don't know what's so bad in my configuration. It has the best processor and MB at the moment. Also the HDD, Monitor are all o.k. for the given budget.

the processor is the fastest but the graphics card is way lower in comparison to the processor & finally a crap PSU + cabby for such a PC. just dropping in the fastest processor avl won't make a PC good or futureproof.

Jerin

Journeyman
^

If you look like that then a perfect pc will cost around Rs 1 lakh or more. Somewhere you need to make adjustments to fit in your budget.

Take out BenQ HD monitor ,then you can have a good config with better GFX, cabinet and PSU. But you cannot watch HD movies thats all.

So in that way it is not future proof.

It is a matter of personal choice , I just gave a config which I feel would do justice to his money .

You can have an excellent PC with high class components then what will be its cost.

I think ECS, Zotac MB's are good, which can cut the cost down. As I said its a matter of personal choice. We all just can give our opinions.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^

If you look like that then a perfect pc will cost around Rs 1 lakh or more. Somewhere you need to make adjustments to fit in your budget.

i always say, to make a PC fast, make it balanced. in place of i7 2600 why not use i5 2400 or Phenom II X4 955. this will allow for a better faster card. and ultimately depending on the config, a 1.5k cabby + a 2.5k PSU (FSP 500W OR Corsair 400W) will do fine cause in that budget including a graphics card faster than HD6850 or GTX460 is a really tough decision keeping in mind that the motherboard pointed mayn't be avl or the ram may cost more or maybe FSP PSU not avl at all.

so for all budget balanced PC's can be made & yes adjustments have to be made but why not the one buying the PC make adjustment in his gaming habits if he can't increase his budget rather going for local PSU that blows up under load. i hope you got my point.

Take out BenQ HD monitor ,then you can have a good config with better GFX, cabinet and PSU. But you cannot watch HD movies thats all.

for Full HD movie a graphics card is not needed (all current IGP are enough capable for it) but including a lower end card is recommended. but again, buying a Full HD monitor & a mid-low range card, its best to dream about running games in Full HD.

It is a matter of personal choice , I just gave a config which I feel would do justice to his money .

performance justified but not safety :) what will be your reply if OP tries to game & finds that most modern games struggle to run in Full HD. and finally after he is able to run one, his PSU gives up? any solution for it? other than wasting money in another crappy PSU?

You can have an excellent PC with high class components then what will be its cost.

no need of high class components. its just you need to do little research before you buy so you end up buying the best your money can offer & not something out of balanced that by name is fast but fails in real world uses. what i mean is:

you can't go for GTX460 with a cheap PSU just cause you are a gamer & you have a budget of 10k. cause the PSU will immediately blew up & you'll spend another 500 bucks to buy another PSU which too won't last for more than a week under the load of the card & this will go on forever. but instead, little adjustment in gaming habits (lower resolution, less details) will yield same performance on a HD5770 + FSP Saga II 400W combo & will be equally safe even if he decides to OC the card a bit.

for a peaceful life; Change habit, not the world :)

I think ECS, Zotac MB's are good, which can cut the cost down. As I said its a matter of personal choice. We all just can give our opinions.

ECS boards are good but hard to find locally & their low end boards sucks. problem with Zotac is they manufacture only some ITX boards with preinstalled processors & not feature boards or mATX boards that almost everyone wants.

yes, its a forum & everyone is free to provide their own opinion but its always recommended to provide useful & meaningful opinion so other take your comments seriously & not just ignore them.

somulesnar

Journeyman
@ jerin

u dont need a full hd monitor to watch hd movies.
so i totally agree wid sam. its better to invest ur money in gfx.

srch07

Journeyman
@ jerin

u dont need a full hd monitor to watch hd movies.
so i totally agree wid sam. its better to invest ur money in gfx.

Man are you a nut job or something?
Your all post feels like junk to me in all threads.

Do you even know the difference between HD quality and DVD quality?
I mean seriously man.

For watching HD quality you need HD Display in monitor, if your monitor doesn't support it, it will get displayed at lower resolution.

And read carefully before posting, sam said, you don't need Graphics Card to run full HD movies, not that you don't need Full HD monitor to run HD movies.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ He he ya he meant somethin like that. An hd compatible is recommended to watch had movies. Native resolution should be more than 1280x720. 1080p movies will get downscaled in such a monitor. To watch at full hd i.e 1920x1080, a monitor with a native resolution of 1920x1080 is essential.

somulesnar

Journeyman
Man are you a nut job or something?
Your all post feels like junk to me in all threads.

Do you even know the difference between HD quality and DVD quality?
I mean seriously man.

For watching HD quality you need HD Display in monitor, if your monitor doesn't support it, it will get displayed at lower resolution.

And read carefully before posting, sam said, you don't need Graphics Card to run full HD movies, not that you don't need Full HD monitor to run HD movies.

@srch07

man i am quite matured enough to discriminate between hd and dvd quality.
by the way i tried to show that u dont need a full hd monitor to watch hd movies a normal monitor supporting 720p res can also play hd movies easily. But yes u cant watch 1080p res movies in actual 1080p res.

And the part wat sam posted yes i was mistaken dere.

U r too new to this forum so please stop commenting in harsh words. I deliver my posts in different threads after refering to many sources so it cant be useless junk. think and read the posts twice before u use these words.

And listen buddy i am seriously not the one who is nut job so i am giving u ur words back.

Last edited:

srch07

Journeyman
Don't take it other wise, but yesterday night i opened the threads, i found everywhere you wrote something or other that was not sort of linked to the topics.
I felt irritated and reading the mis understood comment you made, made my mood really go off.

Oh and yea, new doesn't mean i cant comment on spamming or irrelevant posts ;)

Don't ask me which posts i read, there is quite a much long list.
I suggest read carefully before suggesting something.
Furthermore, refrain from posting off topics as you posted on jas and vicky's debate.

somulesnar

Journeyman
@ srch07

buddy rightnow i checked all my posts in the respective threads they r not at all off topic.
If u found out some posts of mine which r off topic then plz notify them. Although its a long list plz notify tht list. I will be gratefull to u.

Nowhere comes the question of taking ur posts personally. its a mere request to have control over ur words tht u used in ur former post.

i never posted off topics in vicky and jas debate. i just answered dere questions and gave a little support to vickybat as i own the gtx 570 card and i get similar results that vicky notified. I never go off topics in any type of discussion.

Jerin

Journeyman
Dear Friends

Please don't fight ,some people have great knowledge about a particular thing, but the same person may not know anything about something else , its a forum, different people have different opinions, the buyers will have to draw their own conclusions.

Its because nobody is perfect and also see. These hardware stuffs discussed here may or may not have problems, no body can guarantee. Its after using it for a couple of months ,the user gets to knows its weak and strong points.

I have heard people complaining about ASUS MB's in a forum and its about a new board. So take everybody's opinion and draw your own conclusions.

Now as far as Sam Shab is concerned , I am not qualified enough to disagree with you. I have a lot to learn.

But I think you should tell the same things to vendors who sell pre configured PC's :) , if you are successful in doing that then I think , the world will be a better place. Nothing personal ! I just reminded you of the things that are going around us.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom