Urgent! Ants in the System unit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolpcguy

Resistance is Futile.
*i.stack.imgur.com/SSxHG.jpg

Courtesy *superuser.com/q/211100/4377

(if you can't see the image, you don't have 10k+ rep on Super User).

Also:

*superuser.com/q/256692/4377

nbaztec

Master KOD3R
Of course, putting a mobo in sun is not advised for long, but even 5 min will do or until you see them leaving your PC. Same applies to other parts.
Nope, it's perfectly fine. It will incur no damage until the parts themselves melt from the heat.

I ended up reading the entire wiki article on Ant thanks to OP. :|

*imgs.xkcd.com/comics/the_problem_with_wikipedia.png

Last edited:
OP
balakrish

balakrish

Got a whack on head!
Thanks for everyone. I fixed the problem. I disassembled my system unit and cleaned. Then sprayed and did all the blah blah's.

But i got their(ants) visit again. So I tried naphthalene balls. I really wonder. No ants. And the problem has been solved. I cant see any ants here. Thank you so much for everyone who suggested.

But now i get a doubt. Can i clean my keyboard,speakers,woofer using USB vaccum?
Thanks,
Balakrish

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
^^ Congo! For reclaiming your PC from Ants! :bananana:

Yeah, you can use vacuum cleaner in those accessories.

desiJATT

Away from Forums, Again!
Guys, you are talking against using vacuum cleaner in a PC because it might induce static charge. Do you realise, that when you spray compressed air on PC parts, it creates friction and then induces charge on it? Have anyone ever thought of this? I personally think Vacuum will be more efficient in cleaning PC parts than blowing compressed air. But again, it's a personal opinion, let's see what you guys have to say about this. Think scientific guys, think physics!

Last edited:

nbaztec

Master KOD3R
Guys, you are talking against using vacuum cleaner in a PC because it might induce static charge. Do you realise, that when you spray compressed air on PC parts, it creates friction and then induces charge on it? Have anyone ever thought of this? I personally think Vacuum will be more efficient in cleaning PC parts than blowing compressed air. But again, it's a personal opinion, let's see what you guys have to say about this. Think scientific guys, think physics!

Static electricity can never be avoided whenever there is moving dust/particles (which is also the case with chassis fans) unless the metal is grounded, which is not the case since motherboards are mounted on pegs. Personally, static has never been a problem to me. Its not the static that is harmful, but the magnitude of the accommodated charge. :)

frankeric

Journeyman
Hi friends!
In my System Unit, There is full of ants. I don't know how to solve this problem. Everyday i have to open my System Unit and ONLY can see the ants and what they're doing. I'm really worried, because my whole system is becoming the home of ants. My keyboard also affected. Everyday i have to disconnect the keyboard and kill them :( . My modem and everything is affected. I don't know what to do. They also getting into my hdd. Roaming around my motherboard.Please help me.

P.S: I work 18 hours/day on my pc. i dont know how these ants get into my keyboard even if it is in use. :( Because of this i ordered a vacuum cleaner on ebay. But not yet received.

Hi dude simply use insect killer spray on your pc but remember use spray because these sprays are kind of oil thing and oil did not conduct electricity so your system should be fine for safe hand after spray do no plugin your pc for two hours.

koolent

Youngling

Well, as per me, when you use vaccum the air is pulled thus creating friction with the parts, thus imparting static charge.. But as nBaztec said, charge doesn't matter, the magnitude does.

As the distance between components is really less, the less deposited charge can also flow through the air to another component..

Thus neither air nor vaccum is recommended.

But if we complete the circuit time to time and ground the static charge, it must do.. Touching the ATX Connector while putting batefoot on the ground can be done..

@OP-Do the napthaline experiment,

1. Disconnect the equipments.
2. Open a small place for the ants to get out.
3. Place napthline balls at places which directs the ants toward the open space or just put one ball opposite the the open place.
4. Enjoy your computer while the Sublimation of Napthaline does its work..

Hope this helps.. :)

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin

Well "scientifically" thinking wouldn't friction be caused in either of the case? I think if spraying air on PC parts can create charge then air getting sucked by any vacuum would also create static. Just the method change. End effect would be the same.

I was never good at physics but thinking rationally leads me to this conclusion.

desiJATT

Away from Forums, Again!
Static electricity can never be avoided whenever there is moving dust/particles (which is also the case with chassis fans) unless the metal is grounded, which is not the case since motherboards are mounted on pegs. Personally, static has never been a problem to me. Its not the static that is harmful, but the magnitude of the accommodated charge. :)

This obviously is true, that Charge accumulation can never be avoided whatever you do. It's also true that more the magnitude, more are the chances of two terminals getting shorted.

Vacuum, compressed air, there's no one choice, but recommending against any one of these is a very perverted opinion, and that too, without any reason behind it.

The verdict is however, after talking to my Physics sir and using my own knowledge and understanding, I can definitely say that Vacuum will induce charge of much lower magnitude than a can of compressed air will do. So using a vacuum will be much safer bet than using a can of compressed air, but again, I am against neither of the two, both can be used with their own pros and cons :)

koolent

Youngling
Well "scientifically" thinking wouldn't friction be caused in either of the case? I think if spraying air on PC parts can create charge then air getting sucked by any vacuum would also create static. Just the method change. End effect would be the same.

I was never good at physics but thinking rationally leads me to this conclusion.

I am good at physics but, thinking like 3 Idiots rock.. Lol

desiJATT

Away from Forums, Again!
Well, as per me, when you use vaccum the air is pulled thus creating friction with the parts, thus imparting static charge.. But as nBaztec said, charge doesn't matter, the magnitude does.

As the distance between components is really less, the less deposited charge can also flow through the air to another component..

Thus neither air nor vaccum is recommended.

But if we complete the circuit time to time and ground the static charge, it must do.. Touching the ATX Connector while putting batefoot on the ground can be done..

Charge just can't "flow" through air, if it does inside your cabinet, you will see lightning bolts. Air is an insulator, charge needs a certain minimum magnitude to break the insulation of air and flow. That's why you sometimes see sparking in switches which you rapidly turn off. Think you're good at physics? Physics makes us think again.

I know that even vacuum was going to induce charge, but apparantely, of much lower magnitude than blowing air. \

nbaztec

Master KOD3R
Charge just can't "flow" through air, if it does inside your cabinet, you will see lightning bolts. Air is an insulator, charge needs a certain minimum magnitude to break the insulation of air and flow. That's why you sometimes see sparking in switches which you rapidly turn off. Think you're good at physics? Physics makes us think again.
I recommend you not go ape-sh!t on koolant by debating on dielectrics, electron flow, metallic shields and, but not limited to, the Tesla sphere. :mrgreen:

I know that even vacuum was going to induce charge, but apparantely, of much lower magnitude than blowing air. \
That is certainly debatable. While it might be true that vacuum will suck air unidirectionally, but the static charge on the mouth of it will be much, if not greater, owing to the material and high friction caused by the sucking action.
This is pitted against the Brownian motion of the particles caused by the disturbance created via blowing air using a blower. Unlucky for us Brownian motion is random, but can be approximated via the Gaussian Distribution, but I think we both can agree calculating it would be lame. We'll be needing calculators.

The final verdict is to just do the damn thing anyway, but I'd recommend using a blower (pref. like mine; hand-held, push-action). If not much, you'd be doing your bit for the environment.

Last edited:

pkkumarcool

Game & anime Lover

charge cannot flow through air but electrostaic induction can happen and an charges can develop..

But it doesnt matter here anyway as magnitude should be high and distance should negligible for best effect(not the case here)

koolent

Youngling
And I don't what I was thinking about while posting the previous one.. There you go..

You have charge on the tip of your finger, when you touch the small small components, you actually impart much more current at a little high voltage onto the mecanism bypassing the small over current protection mechanism and thus directly damages the delicate components.

This is what I think. What you guya think..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom