UPS trouble! HELP!

arshadmajeed

stoned mario
my UPS just beeps in between work,and suddenly stops,this is happening quite often now.my roommates' ups is also showing similar troubles,and it started earlier than mine.is this a bad current fluctuation problem,or is it something else,like earthing(we got none at this place:???:)

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
Almost certainly due to voltage fluctuations, especially since your roommate is experiencing the same thing.

The PSU of your computer cannot work properly below a certain voltage level. The critical level is not exactly the same for different models. Some models can work down to 180V, some to 160V. Because of this, the UPS is designed in such a way that, if the mains voltage is too low, it will treat it as a power cut and start using battery power. Hence the beeping.

The difference in the beep starting time is probably because the two UPSes have different sensitivities to changes in mains voltage levels.

If it doesn't happen often, accept it for what it is. When the beeping occurs, know that you're using battery power and start shutting yoiur computer down. If it happens regularly, use a voltage stabilizer between the mains and the UPS, not between the UPS and the computer.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
Just getting an APC UPS or a higher-powered unit is not guaranteed to solve the problem. All UPSes including APC have an input threshold. Below that threshold, the UPS's built-in stabilizer cannot maintain a proper output level and switches to battery power, hence the beeping.

As an example, let's say UPS 'A' has a threshold of 160V and UPS 'B' has a threshold of 150V. If the mains voltage drops to 155V, 'A' will switch to battery while 'B' will still operate on mains power. But if the mains voltage drops below 150V, both UPSes will switch to battery power.

To know if a particular UPS will solve the OP's problem, two things have to be known:
1) Detailed specifications of the UPS
2) How far down the mains voltage swings in the OP's room during fluctuations.

mithun_mrg

Cyborg Agent
^^ totally agree i also think if the fluctuation is real problem then he should get low voltage range automatic one i think they r available for as low as 130V
Here r the specifications of APC1.1KVA
Nominal Input Voltage 230V
Input Frequency 47 - 63 Hz
Input Connections Indian/South African BS 546A
Input voltage range for main operations 175 - 295V
Input voltage adjustable range for mains operation 160 - 286V

So what i want to say OP is that input voltage range is adjustable in every UPS through a VR switch but to a little extent only so he would better off try that one with the help of a tecnitian before getting a stabilizer
Try this at our own risk i am not responsible for any damage and also dont try it urself take the help of expert however if done properly ur problem will be solved

OP
arshadmajeed

arshadmajeed

stoned mario
actually my friend is using an APC,but my Luminous is the one that get the least affected,we had an apc tech person come over and check,the ups is fine,he too says its fluctuation

tkin

Back to school!!
When power fluctuation happens the UPS should go to back up mode, is it overvolting? Check the earthing and see if there is any short circuit in the wiring.

kool

Cyborg Agent
^^ totally agree i also think if the fluctuation is real problem then he should get low voltage range automatic one i think they r available for as low as 130V
Here r the specifications of APC1.1KVA
Nominal Input Voltage 230V
Input Frequency 47 - 63 Hz
Input Connections Indian/South African BS 546A
Input voltage range for main operations 175 - 295V
Input voltage adjustable range for mains operation 160 - 286V

So what i want to say OP is that input voltage range is adjustable in every UPS through a VR switch but to a little extent only so he would better off try that one with the help of a tecnitian before getting a stabilizer
Try this at our own risk i am not responsible for any damage and also dont try it urself take the help of expert however if done properly ur problem will be solved

plzzzzzzzzzz help me... *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/hardware-...age-power-fluctuation-pc-getting-restart.html

Top Bottom