UPS Battery or new UPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ambandla

Sup' dude, Sup'
Hi,

I have a five year old UPS (500VA, local made). It's battery is not working now. UPS turns off in 5-10 seconds when the power goes off.

How much will a panasonic lead battery cost for this.

Is it good to replace battery or should I buy a new one. If you suggest a new, let me know if there is any UPS that I can connect serial port on my PC to monitor battery status and put auto shutdown in case the battery power is low (just like a notebook). I am looking for a 600VA (not more than that). Brand not a problem as my old buddy didn't fail for 5 long years.

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
For Rs 2200 u can buy APC 600 VA UPS, it comes with 2 year warranty & has the serial port & a software to monitor & shutdown when needed.

I bought a 800 VA, have not yet installed it but looks better that most of others in terms of features & specification.

I dont know the cost of the battery but I got mine replaced for (600VA) Rs 1200/- some 14 months back.

torrent08

Broken In
ambandla said:
Hi,

I have a five year old UPS (500VA, local made). It's battery is not working now. UPS turns off in 5-10 seconds when the power goes off.

Is it good to replace battery or should I buy a new one. If you suggest a new, let me know if there is any UPS that I can connect serial port on my PC to monitor battery status and put auto shutdown in case the battery power is low (just like a notebook). I am looking for a 600VA (not more than that). Brand not a problem as my old buddy didn't fail for 5 long years.

hey ambandla, i have a APC 500 VA for the past 5 years..previosly 2 years back, i had the same prblm like as of urs & had to replace the Battery a t a cost of 500/Rs.
2 weeks back, te same prblm occured with whenver current goes off, the System & UPs goes down..:mad: again battery repalcement as i dint had the money to get a new UPs.ths time it costed 700 Rs..
the delaers say tat we shld keep it own for mor than 8 hours ! :confused: to Re charge it..[ here, we shld remove the wires from the system & monitor] while charging it..
Well, If the UPS goes down, i thnk we will loose plenty of money...sad to say..:-x

torrent08

Broken In
ambandla said:
Hi,

hey ambandla, i have a APC 500 VA for the past 5 years..previosly 2 years back, i had the same prblm like as of urs & had to replace the Battery a t a cost of 500/Rs.
2 weeks back, te same prblm occured with whenver current goes off, the System & UPs goes down..:mad: again battery repalcement as i dint had the money to get a new UPs.ths time it costed 700 Rs..
the delaers say tat we shld keep it own for mor than 8 hours ! :confused: to Re charge it..[ here, we shld remove the wires from the system & monitor] while charging it..
Well, If the UPS goes down, i thnk we will loose plenty of money...sad to say..:-x
I thnk u shld repalce the battery....ta will be okay.. no need to get a new one as urself said ur local Ups stood alll tese 5 years..ths great indeed.

OP
A

ambandla

Sup' dude, Sup'
Hi everyone. Thanks for your replies. I took a new UPS, mercury 600VA for Rs.1650. I took this one as it has a 2 yr. onsite warranty and I thought brand doesn't matter for UPS. As the same UPS with serial port costs Rs1000 more, I didn't go for it as I was on a tight budget. Thanks again for all your responses. As the battery cost is around Rs. 700, I thought its better to go for a new UPS as I would get god warranty.

premsharma

In the zone
It is ok that you were on tight budget. You should know that Brand does matter. It is not only the Data port, but APC UPS are far superior and has 2 years warranty including battery. Bangalore is thier headquarters. No body can give better onsite warranty than them. I have been using APC for arround 8 years here at Agra. At the slightest trouible [self manipulated], it takes me to write to APC bangalore through email or chat, within days my UPS at Agra was replaced at my residence, though I purchased it at Pune.

1600+ for Mercury is not worth, Instead you should have gone for APC @ 2000+ and what a great that you are from Bangalore too, I think Indira Nagar on Airport road, hosts APC HQ

OP
A

ambandla

Sup' dude, Sup'
Prem, the vendor quoted APC UPS (650VA) at Rs.2,800 and 500VA at Rs.2,000+ tax.

I got mercury UPS (600VA)for Rs.1650. This is the first every mercury product that I ever bought. I hate this brands PC components. I bought only for one reason. My old UPS that was a local made product laster for 4 years+ without a single repair and without a single battery change.

premsharma

In the zone
500 VA could have been enough for you @ 2150 or somethinmg like that here at Agra and should be same or even less at bangalore. But if you are satisfied with your UPS, we are no one to suggest you either. Its you, who have asked opinions and we thought can help you buying correct product.

OP
A

ambandla

Sup' dude, Sup'
Prem, My SMSP itself is a 450W SMPS and monitor is 15" CRT. This is the reason for trying 600VA.

I have asked for opinions and I came to know that APC India operations are based in Bangalore. I have to get another PC and next time I would certainly go for the APC 650VA UPS with serial port. Yesterday, i had to cut down the budget due to some other expenses. I bought a creative headset for making PC to PC calls (recently took an internet connection) and hence I had to cut down UPS cost.

FYI, you guys suggestions are very very usefull for me. Now, I know that APC hq is in blr, APC 600VA has serial port and that too gives a 2 yr onsite warranty. next month, it's gonna be APC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom